PDA

View Full Version : Henry .22 rear dovetail oversize

corvette8n
05-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I asked this on the rimefirecentral forum but didn't get any answers. The rear sight dovetail on my Henry model H001 lever .22 measures .470 instead of the normal 3/8", I bought a buckhorn rear sight and it was way to small to stay in the dovetail. I had someone at work measure their Goldenboy and he said it was 3/8" so what gives, can I get some measurements from the list of model H001?.
I checked Brownells and Midway and could not find any rear sights that had anything but standard dovetails.

Boerrancher
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
There are a couple of ways this can be fixed, and non of them are really that great. The easiest way is to take a small pointed punch and put lots of dimples on the bottom of the dove tale, and use a brass punch and tap the top edges of the dove tale downward. Also you can punch dimples in the bottom of the sight as well.

The other way is to use a wire welder and build up the dove tail on the top and bottom of the sight and then smooth it down with a file. The reason I say to build up the sight is because it is easier to touch up the bluing and make it look good again with some cold blue.

I have done this several times over the years. I know it sucks to do it on a new gun, but if the company will not do anything to help, and no one else comes up with something better, my way will work.

Best Wishes,

CPT T

rhead
05-03-2008, 08:36 AM
You can also drill through the dovetail base of the sight with a small drill, tap the hole, then instal a set screw that has been cut to length. this will raise the base and get a tight fit. The gun is unchanged and the sight will still fit standaed dovetails on other rifles.