PDA

View Full Version : 800#s of pure lead. Time to get serious about casting.

Chainsaw.
03-02-2016, 02:14 PM
Welp. I just peeled the keil off of an old sail boat, seems to be about #800 of lead. I can gouge a big ol chunk out with a pocket knife so Id gamble its pure. Im thinking I'd better start making ingots. My guess is #5 and #1 ingots would make for easy division for a #20 pot. Im thinking a muffin tin would be good for the #1ers. Not sure on the #5ers.

DerekP Houston
03-02-2016, 03:41 PM
regular size muffin tins for me come out around 3-4lbs. Good haul!

wadcutter
03-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Congrats. How are you to melt it down? Cut it up and then into a pot?

Chainsaw.
03-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Ive got a turkey fryer and some old cast iron pans I got at a garage sale that should allow me to do tens of pounds at a time. Im thinking my fluxing time will be almost nil given this is so clean. Perhaps Ill just go to the local goodwill and get an old steel ladel and dip in a scoop at a time, kind of like ladel casting but on a maxi scale.

DerekP Houston
03-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Ive got a turkey fryer and some old cast iron pans I got at a garage sale that should allow me to do tens of pounds at a time. Im thinking my fluxing time will be almost nil given this is so clean. Perhaps Ill just go to the local goodwill and get an old steel ladel and dip in a scoop at a time, kind of like ladel casting but on a maxi scale.

Thats how I melted down the 100+lb ingots i had. One ladel full was approx a muffin tin. Just depended on how full I made the muffins.

Chainsaw.
03-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Nice! Definitely need a trip to the second hand store then!