PDA

View Full Version : Dear members. I just ordered a new revolver.

Captain O
03-02-2016, 01:44 PM
I was Gunfan, but lost all my log-in information (never to be found again). :holysheep But I wanted to begin my new life as Captain O by wishing everyone well and hoping that I could interest everyone by discussing what I have ordered. A new Charter Arms Pitbull in .45 ACP.

Does anyone have any input about what .45 ACP ammunition would shoot best in it? :idea:

Thanks in advance.

Captain O

Der Gebirgsjager
03-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Hard to say. I doubt if it will be G.I. Hardball! And there are so many loads available commercially now that it's probably going to be a matter of experimentation. Even if I/we had a Pitbull, yours might not like what another likes. Handguns can be very individualistic. But you'll have fun finding out.

Walkingwolf
03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Personally if I had one I would take advantage of the rounds that perform, as there is no feeding issues.

DougGuy
03-02-2016, 03:22 PM
If it's factory ammo my vote goes to Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP.

Captain O
03-02-2016, 03:24 PM
I'm not hand loading for the .45 ACP (yet). Factory loads it is.

Thank you.

Half Dog
03-02-2016, 03:53 PM
I would like to see a pic when it arrives.

Bruntson
03-02-2016, 04:20 PM
I doubt you'll have any feeding issues with a revolver. As for ammo recommendations, what are you going to use the revolver for? Possible uses include: self defence, target shooting, plinking, hunting, and shooting snakes, it does make a difference.

bangerjim
03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Revolvers will shoot just about anything you stuff in them! What's not to work? As long as you do not have budged cases (get a max gauge!) they will fit. There is no COL to worry about. No "non-working" boolit nose profiles. No ejection worries. Just good old fun shooting!

That is why I love my revolvers and hate my semi's. So easy to load and shoot. EVERYTHING fits perfectly with minimum worry and fussing, unlike semi's.

Have fun with your new piece, And shoot whatever you like! As long as it is the correct cal!!!!!! HA.....ha! Had a newbee buddy that asked how I got my 45 Colt loooooong cases to fit into the short 45ACP chambers!!! OMG. I also sold him that big old bridge in New York!

banger

Captain O
03-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Sadly, The revolver won't be available until late August/early September.

Such is life.

georgerkahn
03-02-2016, 06:10 PM
... and just think of all the ammo you can stock-pile between now, and when it comes :) !

Captain O
03-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Just think... ​no "moon clips"! :grin:

Hickok
03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Sadly, The revolver won't be available until late August/early September.

Such is life.Man, that is a bummer! And welcome back!

Walkingwolf
03-02-2016, 07:18 PM
I wanted a Bulldog for a long time but only with a three inch barrel.

Captain O
03-02-2016, 07:38 PM
I wanted a Bulldog for a long time but only with a three inch barrel.

I sent a PM about Charter Arms Model #34431 the "Classic" is available from Charter Arms, complete with the blue-steel frame, 3" barrel and walnut grips. It has an MSRP of $436.00 but I am certain that it can be purchased for much less (at least $20.00 less). It's being manufactured precisely the way they were back in 1973. (They were when introduced during my senior year of High School).

Yep, I'm that old. :holysheep

www.charterarms.com (http://www.charterarms.com)

Thin Man
03-03-2016, 11:35 AM
In 1973 the wife and I were on an extended road trip through New England. We found ourselves at the Charter Arms factory and got a limited tour. The rep showed us their new offering - the Bulldog in 44 Special. I immediately fell in love with everything about it. Must have talked too much about it as when Christmas arrived the wife had one waiting for me under the tree. Still have it and very much enjoy taking it to the range on occasion. Still have the same wife, will soon mark our 46th anniversary.

Thin Man

Groo
03-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Just think... ​no "moon clips"! :grin:

Groo here
The "moon clips" are the biggest ADVANTAGE a full size revolver has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want one for a light weight big bore CCW, with some worn out 45acp mags you have the next best thing.
For ammo, due th the light weight, I would try a target load with a SWC bullet or a WC .
The short barrel and BC gap will not be too HP friendly,
The old " If the bullet is big, it don't need to go fast to work" idea.