PDA

View Full Version : Gun clubs beware!!!!

458mag
03-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Gun club closed because of pollution from spent bullets. Seen it on foxnews.com Californication of course.

458mag
03-02-2016, 10:40 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/02/gun-club-closed-because-pollution-from-spent-bullets.html?intcmp=hplnws

duckey
03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
The lead will leach into the water that the Condors drink.

bedbugbilly
03-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Any chance that when they close those gun clubs they could just close Kalifornia?

458mag
03-02-2016, 12:41 PM
San Andreus fault??

Idz
03-02-2016, 12:51 PM
The Forest service did a 5 year study on this. Here is a scientific (not political) conclusion:

Professor James Craig, now retired, and Rimstidt looked first at lead corrosion and whether lead is leaching into the water table or streams. "Lead metal is unstable when it is in contact with air and water. It corrodes and forms hydrocerrussite, the white coating seen on old bullets in museums. That slows corrosion," Rimstidt said.
However some lead escapes, he said. "But we learned that it is absorbed in the top few inches of soil and does not migrate beyond that," Rimstidt said. "Lead is not very mobile. It does not wash away in surface or ground water."

woodbutcher
03-02-2016, 01:13 PM
[smilie=1:Geeeeeeeeeeee.Let`s hope that the eco nazis don`t find out about all the Civil War battlefields in the east.Just think about the tons of old lead bullets laying around there.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Outpost75
03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Lead mining of shooting ranges is standard practice and has actually paid for itself at old, long-established shooting clubs and military ranges. Doing so is now standard practice and is recommended:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/epa_bmp.pdf

http://www.nssf.org/ranges/rangeresources/library/detail.cfm?filename=community_relations/shooting_range_public_relations.htm&CAT=Community%20Relations

http://www.jsonline.com/business/lead-recycling-business-has-more-than-shot-at-success-7q6k0qf-168328976.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2009/09/oregon_business_mines_shooting.html

dualsport
03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
The lead charade is coming to all of us, not just California. The antis have a tool that's working for them. They'll use it on you. Why wouldn't they? Just a matter of time.

Bad Water Bill
03-02-2016, 07:34 PM
PROOF THEY ARE WRONG.

Look up Galena Il

For THOUSANDS of years native Americans dug up ???? tons of lead from the deposits there.

Yes that is on the Mississippi River so why have all of the folks down stream not been poisoned off many ages ago?

Next try to estimate how much lead has been left behind in the form of projectiles and shot since 1492?

Handloader109
03-02-2016, 08:52 PM
And there are a LOT of folks that get their drinking water delivered through lead mains and pipes........

knifemaker
03-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Lead deposits was just an excuse as that area of San Francisco & Oakland is the biggest hotbed of anti gunners in CA. They even shut down the last gun shop in San Francisco recently and are a safe haven for illegal immigrants that have a tendency to shoot down citizens living in the area.

Blackwater
03-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Yeah, it's true that lead's nowhere NEAR the problem it's made out to be by the idjit libs and greenies, but it doesn't really matter. When Hillary becomes president, NOTHING will matter except what she and her enablers/controllers WANT to be, and I doubt there'll be any more than a cursory comment justifying it with some lie. I think we've got a long, hard ride ahead, and I suspect many may not make it to the end of it all. We're definitely going to find out, though!

dtknowles
03-02-2016, 09:40 PM
And there are a LOT of folks that get their drinking water delivered through lead mains and pipes........

That has proven health risks, I would not use that as an example of a safe use of lead or to justify shooting ranges.

Tim

JSnover
03-02-2016, 10:04 PM
A military small arms range near my home in Mass was closed, 17 or 18 years ago for allegedly high levels of lead in the soil. I wondered how bad it could be, since the real estate developers kept trying to get their hands on that land. I found out later the levels detected were "below the reliable limits of our equipment."

opos
03-02-2016, 10:27 PM
San Andreus fault??

NO...it's Bush's fault!!

MaryB
03-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Kalifornistan... home of the sheeple who believe the news...

Bad Water Bill
03-02-2016, 11:32 PM
That has proven health risks, I would not use that as an example of a safe use of lead or to justify shooting ranges.

Tim

In Cook County Il (including Chicago) almost every home has had their drinking water piped in thru LEAD PIPING for many years now.

My mother drank that water every day till she died at age 95.

Yes she still drove herself to church every day till her 90th birthday.

That nasty lead is truly hazardous to most of us normal folks isn't it?

PS Paul
03-03-2016, 01:55 AM
Shame. I used to be a member of tha club (Chabot Hills Gun Club) situated in a gorgeous area east of Oakland. Funny how the "bullets are contaminating water that leaches into the lake" but the parks district themselves states no traces of lead has been found in the lake. Lake Chabot, and many other lakes in the area, is heavily fished and ZERO mention of lead sinkers that line the bottom of the lakes..... As a commentor stated "just a pretense to shut down the club".
Couldn't be more right about that.

Three44s
03-03-2016, 02:38 AM
See a pattern?

Close the ranges, then raise the requirements of marksmenship to maintain your CCW!

YEH! A contrived squeeze!

Three 44s

Bad Water Bill
03-03-2016, 05:01 AM
How about having to prove your marksmanship before you can qualify to get your handgun owners license then close all of the firearms stores and ranges in town?

Welcome to Chiraq.

Once you can legally own a handgun now you can start taking your training courses for your CCW LICENSES and again prove your marksmanship by traveling out of the city, and now they are trying to close the shops and ranges in the entire county.

Welcome to CROOK oops COOK County Il, shameful home of B H O.

dtknowles
03-03-2016, 01:00 PM
In Cook County Il (including Chicago) almost every home has had their drinking water piped in thru LEAD PIPING for many years now.

My mother drank that water every day till she died at age 95.

Yes she still drove herself to church every day till her 90th birthday.

That nasty lead is truly hazardous to most of us normal folks isn't it?

Lead pipes are not necessarily a problem but they can be. It depends on the PH of the water and the amount of Lead Pipe the water flows thru. Lead in your water is less of a concern if you are older. Even Lead in your drinking glasses can be a problem for some people, depending on the beverage. Giving kids orange juice in leaded crystal can lead to reduction in the kids IQ. End use testing of water delivered thru lead pipes is a requirement and usually shows levels that are compliant but if the city did not test my water I would have it tested if I had kids in the house that drink tap water. Shooting ranges are not a problem and the science shows that, drinking water and interior house paint can be a problem the science shows that as well. I said shooting ranges are not a problem but I did not mention that improperly ventilated indoor ranges have cause lead poisoning, the science showed the risk there as well. I have acquaintances who were poisoned shooting at an indoor range.

Tim

Lance Boyle
03-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Total trumped up closure. I roll my eyes at how the military now keeps a round count on ranges. Why? so they know the total content in the ground (allegedly). I don't see us losing the impact areas on major bases. Now those places in prime real estate areas, yea no need to look for motivation there. [especially if there was a Kennedy afoot]

That said, the lead is there and there is a significant pulverized lead content on/near/in the surface. Didn't dawn on me so much until I started to see little bullet heels left after impact on steel targets. The rest? Dust on the ground. Do be careful if your a range lead miner. Damp ground is better than dusty ground and wash your hands of course.

mold maker
03-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Don't drink the lead flavored Kool-Aid. The citric acid will eat the enamel off your teeth.

Elkins45
03-05-2016, 01:34 PM
PROOF THEY ARE WRONG.

Look up Galena Il

For THOUSANDS of years native Americans dug up ???? tons of lead from the deposits there.

Yes that is on the Mississippi River so why have all of the folks down stream not been poisoned off many ages ago?

Next try to estimate how much lead has been left behind in the form of projectiles and shot since 1492?

Not to be pedantic, but galena is lead sulfide. The lead is chemically "locked" into the compound in a much more stable way than the elemental lead of bullets that can oxidize.

Still doesn't mean they need to close the range.

10x
03-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Too bad folks ignore tetra ethyl lead. Yup, the anti knock ingredient in gasoline between 1923 and 1973. For 50 years some 20 million tons of tetra ethyl lead came out of the exhaust pipes of every automobile in the U.S. every year. Tetra ethyl lead is very active in going into plants and animals in the food chain.
The elephant in the room is that no study on lead in the environment every accounts for this huge volume of lead. Instead they blame lead bullets and lead shot.
Also tetra ethyl lead does not remove itself from the food chain but travels right up to the top. Condors are scavengers and predators - right at the top of the food chain.
Go figure.

woodbutcher
03-07-2016, 11:32 AM
:sad: Hi 10X.You don`t really expect the eco-nazis to actually think or excersize common sense do ya?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

CGT80
03-12-2016, 11:52 PM
That is a BS reason for closing that range. It isn't hard to test the soil for ph and lead levels and then modify the ph if needed, so that the lead doesn't dissolve or move. Some soils are better than others for keeping the lead in place.

Info regarding Chabot was on Calguns. Komnifornia is full of anti gun politicians and people. The number of pro 2a people just doesn't compare to the number of those who either don't care or are anti 2a people.

Bad Water Bill
03-13-2016, 04:52 AM
Too bad folks ignore tetra ethyl lead. Yup, the anti knock ingredient in gasoline between 1923 and 1973. For 50 years some 20 million tons of tetra ethyl lead came out of the exhaust pipes of every automobile in the U.S. every year. Tetra ethyl lead is very active in going into plants and animals in the food chain.
The elephant in the room is that no study on lead in the environment every accounts for this huge volume of lead. Instead they blame lead bullets and lead shot.
Also tetra ethyl lead does not remove itself from the food chain but travels right up to the top. Condors are scavengers and predators - right at the top of the food chain.
Go figure.

Over 30 years ago I attended a lead convention in D C.

Tetra ethyl lead was mentioned at that time.

They said the lead would be spread about 20 feet on the side of the road and dissipate slowly with rain waters back into the depths of the soil.

" For 50 years some 20 million tons of tetra ethyl lead came out of the exhaust pipes of every automobile in the U.S. every year."

Somehow I find those figures hard to believe.

Back in the 20s till WW2 and till after the war (a period of over 25 of those years) very few homes even had one car in the family.

20 million tons per year would be OVER 1 BILLION tons of just that one type of lead being produced.

Perhaps after the war we had the capability of producing those volumes but not during the depression and up till the war.

I seriously doubt we could possibly need nor produce any where near that quantity of tetra ethyl lead till after the baby boomers started driving their own cars.

David2011
03-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Every scientific study I've read on lead and shooting ranges produced disappointing results for the environmentalists. I recall reading an EPA study several years ago where an abandoned military shooting range was the subject. The conclusion was that there was an extremely small migration of lead compounds for a short distance from the impact area and the expected mass migration of lead compounds into the environment was not found. I'm trying to find it again since the data is more useful as the environmentalists encroach. Environmentalists just hate it when the facts don't support their argument.

David