PDA

View Full Version : Shooting new Taurus 111G2 9mm

franklin!
03-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Posting this experience for what it's worth. Been thinking about a new, lightweight, small semi-auto for CC and settled on the Taurus 111G2 9mm. Handled one at a gun show and it felt right. Thought 12 round mags were a little large, but they're OK. Got mine for $250 out the door, inc. tax. Performed my usual 'semi-auto torture test". Ran a bore snake through the barrel. That's it.
Shot total of 84 rounds with three kinds of ammo - MagTech 115 gr FMJ, Hornady Critical Defense and a trusted friend's handloads with cast bullets over 4.5 gr. W 231. Put up target at 7 - 8 yards. All shots standing, 2 hand hold, no rest. Didn't shoot it crazy fast, but as soon as sights settled on the center of mass, I touched the shot. Only paused to reload mags. I always thought don't judge a semi-auto until you have at least 200 rounds through it to reveal stoppages and give it a good break-in. After that if you have stoppages, the gun may have an issue. I report no, absolutely no, stoppages, failures to feed, extract or eject. Zero. Nada. Accuracy? All shots within a 6 inch circle, 60 % within 3 1/2 " with two shooters participating.I plan to continue until 200 rounds, mixing ammo types. Perhaps Taurus doesn't have the snob appeal of some others, but if it runs flawlessly, is accurate enough and costs less, what's not to like.? Has a safety lever, loaded chamber indicator, comes with 2 mags, second strike capability and accepts laser type sight under the frame. If you're in the market for something like this, give it a look. I don't reload cast or jacketed for 9mm at present, but I'm gonna!

Outer Rondacker
03-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Nice. I had a bunch of guys here in NY ask about the gun. I called Taurus up on the phone and they said we do not make 10 round mags. I said well you show them on your web site. Ya but we do not make them and most likely wont. So no PT111 for NY. They look like a great cheap gun. Enjoy it.

Schrag4
03-01-2016, 11:28 PM
How's the trigger? I have a friend who bought a HiPoint because he didn't want to spend a lot to get into shooting, and I think something like the G2 would be a HUGE step up from that single-stack, brick of a gun. I've seen the G2 on sale online recently for as little as $200, but I understand after shipping, tax, and transfer, $250 is about as good as you'll come out.

franklin!
03-03-2016, 08:14 AM
The trigger is OK, not superb. Long pull followed by clean break, but not "gritty." I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but I think it would be about 7 lbs. I got used to it quickly, and if I pulled a shot I can't blame the trigger. A mag loader would be a big help. Instructions say load mags full and leave them loaded for a day or two before shooting the first time. I'll report if it chokes. I may just keep shooting beyond 200 rounds to see if it does.

Thin Man
03-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Very recently I returned a 111G2 to the factory for repair. Some unknown part of the trigger assembly failed and the trigger would not engage the striker. In due time it came back repaired but the female owner was without it for the time required for repairs, several weeks. She was NOT happy about the breakage. She reported very little use of the pistol, had not fired it very much, and there were no indications of damage or abuse visible with the pistol. Hope your experience with yours is better.

Thin Man

Captain O
03-04-2016, 02:54 AM
I don't know how much I would trust their self-loading pistols. Taurus' reputation is not generally one held in even moderate esteem. Were it mine, I wouldn't be assured that this 9mm will "hold up it's end" when the situation deteriorates to the point of a firefight. There are better options that won't cost much more. One caveat: In a self-loader don't rely on hollow point ammunition in anything slower (or lighter) than a 9mm Luger. Both penetration and expansion simply aren't "in the cards".

Good luck, and may God bless.

Forrest r
03-04-2016, 06:47 AM
I bought the misses one of the pt111 g2's last year. She wanted something with a little more firepower than her snub nosed 38spl. She only has a little over 1000 rounds down the tube in it but it runs flawlessly. Never had a jamb, ftf or fte, nothing but a bang when she pulls the loud button.

It had a box of jacketed factory ammo ran thru it for it's first outing. After that it's had a steady diet of mihec 125gr hp's with full house loads of longshot. The 125gr cast hp's chronographed @ 1050fps out of the pt111's 3.2" bbl.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/9mmtaurus_zpsnlqcm8kg.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/9mmtaurus_zpsnlqcm8kg.jpg.html)

The pt111 has allot of options for a small pistol. They put a chamber indicator in line with the sights, you don't even realize it is there or that you even pay attention to it. When we go to the range with our cc's we do practice different ammo issue drills. One of them being clearing rounds. We load the firearms for each other putting in dummy rounds or no rounds and hand the pistol over to the shooter. I racked the slide handed the misses the pt111 without a bullet in the chamber. She herd the noise of me racking the slide but when she brought the pistol up to fire it she just smiled and racked the slide. She simply stated "I didn't realize I even pay attention to the chamber indicator".

The double strike option along with a rear sight that is actually adjustable are excellent options on these pistols. Along with a couple of different safety's so the user can choose which one if any they want to use. The ability to mount a laser or a light on the rail in front of the trigger guard is also a nice option. I plan on buying another pt111 g2, allot of pistol for little $$$ that has ran flawlessly so far.

franklin!
03-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Knowledge is power! If you have had an experience with this gun, please post if you are so inclined. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll have further results. Bought three boxes of different brands than before. Might as well accumulate brass like that until I get 'set up' to load my own.

franklin!
03-19-2016, 08:02 PM
As promised, I'm back to report further results. After the initial 84 rounds with no problems whatsoever, I got back to the range yesterday after a couple of weeks of bad weather. Three more kinds of ammo: Win. "White Box", Fiocchi, and Blazer Brass. All 115 grain FMJ. This time shot from a rest at 7 yards, held center of mass, and fired as soon as the sights settled from previous shot. Finished at round # 231, still no failures of any kind. Didn't clean it from previous session. Trigger pull got a little better, and it really liked Blazer Brass and Fiocchi. Didn't shoot Win. "White Box" nearly as accurately as the other two. So there's my experience, for what it's worth. I'm keeping it. I think it's reliable. I may even clean it. Maybe.