PDA

View Full Version : 63%SN/37%PB alloy

Lefty SRH
03-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I was given 25lbs (five, 5lb bars) of this alloy by a co-worker. Im not sure what to do with this alloy.
First off, what is this alloy typically used for?
How much PB (tape weights) would it take to get one bar down to 2% SN?

reddog81
03-01-2016, 08:59 PM
If my math is correct each bar has a little over 3 lbs SN. So 150 lbs lead would get you to about 2% SN.

Went2kck
03-01-2016, 09:04 PM
I could use some of that SN metal you have.

Lefty SRH
03-01-2016, 09:27 PM
If my math is correct each bar has a little over 3 lbs SN. So 150 lbs lead would get you to about 2% SN.

Haha, sounds like I need to cast the bars into bullets just for easier mixing.

GhostHawk
03-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Last batch of stuff like that I got was in fairly large ingots. So I cleaned out my pot well, melted down some 4 bars, cast them into my biggest mold, the Lee .430 310 grain. I keep them separate, in a container marked tin. Can add one or 2 to a pot if I need a bit more tin.

RogerDat
03-02-2016, 12:32 AM
If the solder has foundry markings that confirm the tin/lead percentages I would leave it in that form. It confirms what it is, melted down it could be "anything" and if you want to swap or sell it having it stamped with foundry percentages is a good thing.

You know how many inches long bar is, how many ounces it weighs. Thus how many ounces per inch is simple division. Mark the number of inches that give you the weight you want to add. You can cut with a chisel, or bolt cutters work really well. Solder melts at lower temp than lead so the solder bar end will melt rapidly into a lead melt. You can just mark how many inches you need and stick the bar in to that mark it will melt off quickly.

I know folks melt lead into large bullet molds but me I only melt assorted and unknown solder. I have taken to using muffin and candy tins to make little "coins" when I have 5# or more of mystery solder. Then get a sample from that batch of coins gunned and mark them with the tin percentage.

bangerjim
03-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Use it to sweeten pure.

Get the free alloy calculator spreadsheet on here to calculate mixes. Easy peasy. It will answer this and all future "what if" questions about alloys. Do a simple search in the white box above at the top right.

If you still don't know what to do with it, I will pay shipping for you to send it to me.

banger

Harry O
03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
My wife buys small rolls of solder at estate sales, if they are cheap. A partial pound usually goes for $1 or $2. When I have enough, I melt them down and cast them into 0.690" round balls. Since they frequently have different percentages of tin from one roll to the next, I weigh the ball after casting. Since I know the weight of a 0.690" round ball in pure tin and in pure lead, I can calculate the actual amount of tin in the ball. I mark that on the container I keep them in and add what is needed to sweeten the amount of pure lead I have. That makes everything easy and repeatable.

bangerjim
03-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Keeping Sn in small amounts is very handy. I recast my Sn (all 450# of it) into Lee 1/4# ingots for easy addition to my casting pot when I need it. I generally re-melt 35-40# or so at a time and make the small ingots.

edp2k
03-03-2016, 01:09 AM
What bangerjim said.
If you recast the solder into smaller chunks (big bullets, mini-muffins, etc.) it will be a lot easier
to add to your casting pot, a little bit as needed, until you get a good fill out.

lightman
03-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Like the others have said, what you have is solder. The numbers are the ratio of lead and tin. If you plan to keep all of it and use it, casting it into smaller pieces would be helpful. Something like small bars or large bullets. If you think about selling it most buyers would prefer the original form. Do a little research on smelting and fluxing so that you don't waste the tin thats in it. Good Score!

William Yanda
03-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Lefty
You asked "first" about what 63/37 solder was used for. If I am remembering correctly, that is often used for electrical/electronic work, think circuit boards, etc. But then my rememberer isn't what it used to be. If I weren't so lazy I would use google to double check. Then again, there is probably someone here who did use it.
Regards
Bill

jimofaz
03-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Sn63Pb37, ASTM63A, ASTM63B. Common in electronics; exceptional tinning and wetting properties, also good for stainless steel. One of most common solders. Low cost and good bonding properties. Used in both SMT (surface mount technology) and through-hole electronics on printed circuit boards.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2016, 05:50 PM
I was given 25lbs (five, 5lb bars) of this alloy by a co-worker. Im not sure what to do with this alloy.
First off, what is this alloy typically used for?
How much PB (tape weights) would it take to get one bar down to 2% SN?
Back in the 80s, I worked at a industrial controls manufacturer. we had a wave solder machine for soldering PCBs, it had a 200 lb pot...we used 63/37 in it for years, then switched over to Leadfree solder in the late 90s, long after I was gone from that division.

AllanD
03-14-2016, 12:54 AM
SN63 was the most commonly used alloy for industrially produced electronic gear, typically
used in "wave soldering" machines for automated soldering of printed circuit boards.

Sn63 wire solder is used for :"touch up" of those boards to correct any poorly filled or "Cold joints"

Sn63 is commonly refered to as "eutectic" solder as it has no "plastic range" while solidifying

I have around 150 of those 5# foundry bars, most made by Alpha metals or Kester.

It is great stuff for Sweetening other alloys.

AD