PDA

View Full Version : New Casters…Lets Blend Pb & make INGOTS

OS OK
03-01-2016, 02:16 PM
I got 105 lbs. of 'roof flashing' the other day and wanted to make good Pistol 'boolit metal' from it…I'm guessing it to be pretty much pure lead, can't say for sure.
I have an excess of Linotype and thought it might do a pretty good job.

First…I went to this 'Lead Calculator' that I downloaded here on Cast Boolits...I think this is the link.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators
You can see that I have plugged in different weights of lead and linotype until I came up with the mix in the bottom line that I wanted. Look at all the information this will give you…It takes most of the guesswork out of casting ingots and final blends in the lead pot. Many, many thanks to the Fella who did this work for us and made it aviallable to download for free! See what 'kinda guys' hang out here?

Next…I set my pot up on some sturdy horses that will take the weight and be high enough so that I don't have to bend over the pot and take any chances of getting splattered or inhaling the smoke. This is outside my garage and in the wind. Wear a face shield, protective clothing and shoes…not thong sandals!
162347You see that 'muffin tin' over there has been filled with my lead in this picture…If you look under the horse you can see the wedges I used to level that horse…If you want muffins that stack level and even you need to pour them level…my first stacks look like the 'leaning tower of Pisa'.

Next…From the calculator I know that I want to blend 20# of Pb (lead) with 10# of Linotype. I use a digital 25# kitchen scale to measure the right amount of materials and place them together in batches. This pot will hold more than 50# but I prefer to mix in 40# batches or less. The batch looks like this to start.
That is a 30# batch. The lead flashing comes in wide folded pieces too wide for the pot, so, I unfold them and cut them into about 24" strips so that I can roll them up like a newspaper. I want the paint and gunk that I couldn't peel off easily on the inside of the roll…if there is a 'steam explosion' it will be inside that roll and forced straight up through the roll and buffering it. I make sure that the lead is dry too but I sometimes worry bout that paint doing something weird…so far so good, no problems with paint as you will see later.

Here I have cut those lead rolls into manageable size pieces…they are ready to roll like a newspaper.
162350A sharp pocket knife is all that you need.

Next…I placed the entire batch of lead and linotype in the pot and turned the burner up about 3/4's to high. It will take about 15 minutes to get it to melt down. One of the reasons I like the 30# batch is that it fits snugly into the pot and stays pretty much standing as it slowly sinks down into the pot…that doesn't mean you don't have to watch it as it goes…Ole' Murphy will tip one out of the pot if you are careless. Another tip is to use plenty of sawdust at this point so that the melting lead will stay covered all the time…I use a full cup full, it is already in there.

***"See the follow-up Posts…I ran out of picture room here...\/

OS OK
03-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Next Contd….
Here is the pot full...
162355Next…
The pot will melt down like this and leave the sawdust and burned up paint and every other thing but lead on top of the pot...
162356That metal trash can in the rear is where I store 'dry sawdust' that comes from my vacuum system in the shop.

Next…Skim off the debris on the surface of the lead…I use a wide scraper to take out the gunk that is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Now you are ready to pour the ingots.
Skim off that last little bit now and you can start ladling into a muffin pan as you see below...

Let these cool while you prepare the next batch of blend for the melt pot…let them sit there until the next pot is ready to start ladling…
In this last pot full I add my 'dross' from my lead pot…this is the tin and antimony that has been skimmed off the pot when adding candle wax when I cast boolits. This way I recycle it too and get use of it.

When I am done I end up with something like this…those ingots weigh an average of 2.25# each. They fit nicely into my 20# pot.

Lastly…I go to the Rockchucker, set the Lee Hardness Tester up and measure the BHN of these batches. I measure at least twice per ingot to be exact and I do this about 2 days after pouring the ingots…they age harden with time.

In the end these ingots find a place with my other ingots under the casting bench…they have been letter and number stamped with their hardness number and any other information you want to put there...

Next...It is casting time…there is 7,000 grains weight per pound of lead…divide that by the weight of boolit you want to cast and that will tell you how many boolits/pound you cast…then multiply that by how many boolits you want and you will know how many pounds of 'boolit metal' to use.

"Simple huh?''

Have fun…OS OK

PS…These batches came out at 12.5-13 BHN…right on the money as the calculator predicted.
The last batch that got my 'dross' from casting came out at 13.5 BHN and will turn out outstanding boolits because of the added tin (Sn).

Outer Rondacker
03-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Good job and OH so nice looking.

dudel
03-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Nice job and instructive writeup.

Echo
03-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Good job, and good technique, OS OK!

scottfire1957
03-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Well done!

Bullwolf
03-01-2016, 11:54 PM
A real nice and informative write up. Good job!

- Bullwolf

almostgone
03-02-2016, 03:25 AM
very informative and helpful. thanks for the effort

Oklahoma Rebel
03-26-2016, 05:54 PM
how do you keep the lead from sticking to the muffin pans? I just did that yesterday and a couple stuck and I ruined the pan to get them out, ended up cutting them out.

gray wolf
03-26-2016, 07:46 PM
burn off the coating

runfiverun
03-26-2016, 08:04 PM
yep, and make sure they ain't 'tin', or non-stick coated, that will guarantee a flat muffin pan.

OS OK
03-27-2016, 12:53 AM
Mine appear to be steel…they are heavy.