PDA

View Full Version : Llama comanche III?

Tackleberry41
03-01-2016, 12:20 PM
LGS has one of the Comanche III in the case for $299. Mixed reviews on the quality of Llama revolvers. Are they soft metal junk as some claim, or decent copy of a S&W?

mac60
03-01-2016, 07:27 PM
I had one many years ago. They are NOT junk. If it's in really good shape the price you mention doesn't seem out of line to me. I used to shoot the thing every day after work - it never gave me a moment's problem.

Virginia John
03-01-2016, 08:25 PM
Llama presents a problem when you go to replace parts. My experience was with a 1911 that wouldn't accept off the shelf 1911 parts. The trigger was very gritty and a tough pull. For a few dollars more get a decent gun.

rintinglen
03-01-2016, 09:05 PM
The Comanche at that price represents a pretty good deal. I'd give it a careful once over to make sure that all the parts were there, that the firing pin was unbroken, that the cylinder wasn't too loose, that the action was not too rough, and that the cylinder gaps and head space were OK. They are a decent copy of the S&W, but suffered a bit from inconsistent quality control. I had one briefly in the late 80's and it was a pretty good gun, revolver-reliable but not as accurate as one could hope. Still, at that price, I would give it a thorough inspection and then plunk down the cash. That would make a dandy 38/357 truck gun. Do most of your shooting with 38's or equivalent hand loads in 357 brass and that gun should out live you with decades to spare.

Guesser
03-02-2016, 04:21 PM
I sold a NIB Llama Comanche 22 revolver last summer for 450$ and the guy thought he was stealing it. The Llama revolvers have been very good, at least everyone I've ever used. The guy that got the 22 emailed me a few weeks later and said it was as good as his K-22 Smiff.

Tackleberry41
03-03-2016, 08:59 AM
I would like to buy it, but a little broke at the moment.

Tackleberry41
03-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Will figure out how to pay for it eventually, they do lay away, so have a month. I checked it out, nothing loose, everything seems fine on it. Decent enough handgun for the price. Just wont be putting any hot 357 thru it. I dont load very hot anyways as my other 357 is a SP101, all the extra power just ends up as muzzle blast in it. Might have to get some more 357 brass, have piles of 38 spcl, very little 357.

Now since this is a copy of a S&W for the most part, will S&W grips fit on it? Ones that come on it are a bit bulky, the houges I put on my other stuff would be nice. And what model speed loaders would I need?