PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of an ideal fishing gun

RU shooter
03-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Have been toying with thoughts of getting a lighter more compact handgun for my fishing trips I'm a shore fisherman be it river lake or stream been taking my kahr cw45 but want something I can just slip in my pants or vest pocket and almost forget it's there till needed . A couple that I've been researching that fit that bill are a beretta 21 in 22lr or a keltec in 32 or the 380 version both are 12 oz or less , flat and compact . Not really worrying about them being true "defensive" calibers as the gun would just be used for snakes or possibly a rabid animal or something of that nature . I'm not really a handgun guy and don't have a real feel for what's new or available that may fit the bill . I've considered snub revolver but imo there too girthy to just slip in my pants pocket . Others may disagree but I likem flat . Anyone have any thoughts or suggestion ?

Thanks ,Tim

contender1
03-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Well, Bill Ruger felt that the Bearcat was the ideal pocket gun for fishermen. One of the newer stainless ones would be right at home with any fisherman.

Hickok
03-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I just love the Smith Airweight J-frame in .38 Special. I would forget I even had it my pants pocket. Would be great for snakes with shot shells, and for any other predator, two legged or 4.

Mine @ 10 yards was very accurate and dead on the sights with .38 Special 158 gr loads.

My daughter saw it, shot it, and now I don't have it! I hope to one day get another one.

PerpetualStudent
03-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Derringers have gotten more popular of late. Generally double barreled over/under. I've seen them in revolver calibers- .357, .44 mag, .45 Colt. Even saw one chambered in .45-70 which makes my hand hurt just thinking about it.

For what you're talking about one of those might fit the bill nicely. Especially because you could have some snake shot ready to go.

straightwall
03-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Ruger LCP is a good choice and they just had a factory price reduction.

waksupi
03-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Pa63.

str8wal
03-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I really like my LCRx. The 38 is about as light as I care to go in power. I can slip it in my wasteband mexican style and forget it is even there, and it stays put.

9.3X62AL
03-01-2016, 12:17 PM
I've used a variety of sideiron for fishing companions. My usual tool is the S&W Model 686 x 4" in a belt holster. In snake country, the first round is a Speer shot load, followed by felon repellent x 5. Two speedloaders with 12 more perp recyclers come along in a Michaels pouch. Maybe overkill, but better to have and not need than the other way around. I am a whole lot more concerned about 2-legged predators than any critter found in the back-country. Dope growers and meth cooks are several orders of magnitude more dangerous than are the beasties we normally think about in this context.

bedbugbilly
03-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Don't know where you fish or how remote the places are but one of the first things I'd consider is the cartridge . . . can you get them where you go fishing if you need to buy some (as in, "Oh, shoot, I forgot to bring cartridges!" :-)). I'm thinking that in some places, the .32 and even the 22 might be a problem whereas a more popular cartridge such as the 380, 9mm or 38 spl. might be more available?). If a 380 would work, there are quite a few small 380s out there - Ruger LCP, S & W Bodyguard, etc. If the idea of "snake shot" appeals to you, then go with a 38 spl. Snake shot can be purchased or you can make your own. A small J frame 5 shot Smith, a Ruger LCR, etc.

jmorris
03-01-2016, 12:44 PM
45LC bond arms derringer Speer shot capsules full of #12 (around 740 of them per capsule).

DougGuy
03-01-2016, 01:02 PM
You got a Kahr CW45 and are griping about it being too much gun? Sheesh the thing weighs 1lb 10oz. LOADED! That's nothing! I always wear mine fishing!

Ithaca Gunner
03-01-2016, 01:08 PM
If I were looking for an excuse to buy a gun for fishing, it would be a S&W .22 Kit Gun.

Half Dog
03-01-2016, 01:39 PM
Growing up where water moccasins are plentiful, I learned to trust the 38 cal shot shells. I tried hitting them with bullets and discovered I'm not that great of a shot.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-01-2016, 04:39 PM
I agree with waksupi a pa63 or Makarov would be a cheap but accurate choice, also cz82 is a good one

Outpost75
03-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Agree that if in snake country a compact .38 snubby like the Ruger LCR loaded with Speer shotshells is a good choice.

But if snakes aren't a problem and you want something flat and easy to carry, the Ruger LCP does it for me.

26Charlie
03-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Fifty-five years ago I went back in the Louisiana bayous once in awhile. I must have shot 30 rounds of .44 Magnum at cruising garfish from my Ruger Blackhawk single action. I never hit a one. Don't see how anything smaller could serve as a fishing gun if the .44 won't do it. :redneck:

KA0811
03-01-2016, 06:07 PM
If you really want light weight. NAA 22 mag mini revolver. It's small holds 5 and extra ammo is easy to carry. Alot more accurate than most people think. I take mine fishing with both ammo types. Snake shot and HP. Also came with a conversion cylinder for 22lr if you want it.might not be ideal for defensive carry but for snakes works for me.162373

RU shooter
03-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Snakes are a possibility I don't see a lot but been seeing more in the last few years in the the areas I fish around home in the Sw part of the state it's copperheads and regular black water snakes up north when I Tavel deep into the woods along those native trout streams I've seen a rattler or two each year . thanks for all the ideas folks keep them coming .

35remington
03-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Take a look at an Airweight and forget the revolver bias. I regard putting a striker fired auto in a pocket with some degree of horror if it is not in a holster. It works better with snake shot than an autoloader too.

it is not too bulky for a pocket. Try one.

NavyVet1959
03-01-2016, 07:35 PM
While fishing, I never considered snakes to be a danger unless they were already within range of my paddle. If by some chance they manage to get in my boat, I'm not particularly wanting to be shooting a hole in the bottom of it with a gun. If it is a metal boat, then a .38 or .357 loaded with spent primer cups should probably work well enough without going through the boat. I use an empty .22LR piece of brass epoxied to a craft stick as a dipper for this sort of round. To separate the powder from the spent primer cups, I take a wad of paper towel about 1.5" square and compact it down on the powder with a dowel.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-01-2016, 07:44 PM
best pocket gun that i found for me is a Sig p938 162389

Tatume
03-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Here in Virginia it is only legal to use a rifle for hunting freshwater fish. :-)

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title4/agency15/chapter320/section150

RJM52
03-01-2016, 08:12 PM
My favorite is the S&W 60-10 .357 Magnum....is a small J-frame, all stainless with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights...can be loaded to take care of anything from snakes to bears and will fit is a wading vest pocket. Smith still makes basically the same gun in the updated 60-15 version... A well made lightweight .38 snubbie is hard to beat also...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMith%20and%20Wesoon%20II/013_zpsu0rybzql.jpg

Petrol & Powder
03-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Not withstanding Tatume's comical response (and it did make me laugh :-o ) my first choice would be to stay with the Kahr CW45. If the OP wants to stay with a pistol but go with something smaller, I'd still stay with Kahr but move to one of the polymer framed 9mm models.
I see no issue with carrying a striker fired pistol in a pocket holster. They are perfectly safe designs. The Kahr's are well made and very flat.

However, for the role that the OP is seeking to fill, I think a revolver would be ideal.
Some 38 Special revolver would be my first choice and I would abandon the pocket carry requirement for a fishing gun. There's no need for deep concealment in that role. A lightweight 4" model 12 with a RB grip would be a cool option if one could be found.
A S&W model 67 would combine stainless steel and a light tapered barrel.
A 3" barreled revolver could also work well. Perhaps a 3" SP101? Or a 3" model 64 or model 10? Maybe even a Speed-Six?

A 38 Special gives you the ability to put a shotshell in the first up chamber and conventional bullets in the next 5. The 38 Special is suitably accurate and powerful enough for the needs of the OP.
I see no benefit in carrying some mouse gun while fishing other than to just satisfy the "have a gun" requirement.
A really small .22, .25 or .32 pistol is going to be a challenge to shoot accurately in a hurry, like say at a snake. I'm completely with Al when it comes to outdoor threats. The two legged animals are FAR more dangerous. If I encountered a snake my first option would be to let it go on its way. Shooting a snake is rarely the best first option unless you have no other escape.

I think the concept of a "Kit Gun" is very sound. Something useful, accurate, weather resistant, reliable, light weight and "packable".
A tiny pistol qualifies as a gun but it fails to fill the role of a Kit Gun.

Dale53
03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I fly fished for many years. A "J" frame .38 Special with a shot load up first is the answer, in MHO. My preference for this task is my 60-4 (stainless steel, with 3" barrel and adjustable target sights). It fits nicely in the chest pocket of my waders. Secure and yet available. I ALWAYS carry a reload when I am carrying a revolver or auto pistol.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0242.jpg (http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0242.jpg.html)

FWIW
Dale53

country gent
03-01-2016, 09:27 PM
I would go with the Smith J-frame shot load, followed by slugs. But for weight I would go one step farther with an air light 340. actually 357 mag chambered 12 unces in weight and very effective. The plus to the 357 chambering is the shot cartridge can be a lightly larger payload of shot if you make your own. Mine carries easily and you frorget its there due to weight. A set of hip grips on it and it tucks inside the waistband with no holster needed

Dpmsman
03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
What is your price range? How much ammo do you need on tap 2,5,6,8 rounds? If 2 is enough the Bond arms snake slayer in 410 would be a good option. One round of 8 shot and one of 000 buck or a slug should take care of anything encountered. But it's a close range tool. Like others have said an air weight revolver in 38 would be a great choice. Super simple to operate, reliable as all get out and lots of ammo choices. With a 32 caliber revolver you get one more round but ammo is not as easy to come by. Small autos work if your going that route a 380 pistol is as small as a 32 with more ammo availability. There's a ton of new and used 380's on the market stick with a major name and you should be good. I bought a sig 380 for my wife and it's been a good gun but ya better test your ammo first. I tried some cheap PPU ball ammo the primers were super hard and required two hits before going off. Well good luck let us know what you pick.

Jon

FergusonTO35
03-01-2016, 10:21 PM
My vote is S&W 637 or Glock 42. Both are light, compact, and very accurate for their size not to mention very corrosion resistant.

birddog
03-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Awgh hell I'd have to find one that floats first, I've found a way to drop everything else in the lake or river.
Charlie

WALLNUTT
03-01-2016, 10:36 PM
If you SEE a snake just leave it alone. If you don't see it you can't shoot it anyway. What is with the big fear of snakes?

Plate plinker
03-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Glock 43.

nockhunter
03-01-2016, 11:21 PM
I also have a M60, 38 special for my "fishing" gun. I also keep it in my chest wader pocket. It is one of my favorite guns for general woods bumming.

Mike162402

NavyVet1959
03-02-2016, 05:34 AM
Whatever you choose, you might want to ensure that EVERY part of it (including the internals) is stainless or polymer so that it doesn't rust *when* you fall in the water. Notice, I said *when*, not *if*. Some of the stainless firearms out there do not have stainless springs, so there is a corrosion potential there.

rpludwig
03-02-2016, 07:53 AM
S&W Airweight fan here, .38 shotshells, dispatched many copperheads, dependable, accurate, eze carry...have also used a Bearcat for same purpose with shotshells...

Hickok
03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
My favorite is the S&W 60-10 .357 Magnum....is a small J-frame, all stainless with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights...can be loaded to take care of anything from snakes to bears and will fit is a wading vest pocket. Smith still makes basically the same gun in the updated 60-15 version... A well made lightweight .38 snubbie is hard to beat also...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/SMith%20and%20Wesoon%20II/013_zpsu0rybzql.jpgRJ, I have that same revolver too. Not quite as small as the Airweight my daughter smilingly said "Dad, this just what I want!", but it sure upped the horsepower and the range! They are beautiful revolvers.

aspangler
03-02-2016, 09:57 AM
If you want small, light weight, flat and in a cal. easy to find, I suggest the Taurus PT 738. .380, weighs just oz's and accurate enough for carry everyday. Also as has been suggested it has a lot of polymer so not so much issue with corrosion. I carry one every day.

Hickok
03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
162413Here mine. It is a Model 60-15.

salvadore
03-02-2016, 02:36 PM
RU, I own a M-21 Beretta and a Smith 317. They are about the same weight, but the Beretta is handier and easier to pack. The Smith M-60 is a fabulous revolver but is more than twice the weight than the Beretta and 317 before it is loaded. I don't know how much the Beretta costs, (mine was $100 when I purchased it some years ago)but suspect it would be cheaper than either of the other two.

salvadore
03-02-2016, 02:50 PM
http://s299.photobucket.com/user/farcla/media/Picture076.jpg.html?sort=3&o=69

Don't know if this is how to post using a tablet, if it is here's my M-60.

Captain O
03-02-2016, 02:51 PM
How about either a Ruger LCR in .327 Federal Magnum or a Charter Arms "Undercoverette" (aluminum frame version) in .32 H&R Magnum? Light, (12 ounces) 5 rounds stout, and "packable"?

Not a bad conbination

MT Gianni
03-02-2016, 03:32 PM
The last close encounter I had was 4' away when the person in front of me almost stepped on it. When the rattlesnake was 2' high at a 4' distance from my legs I had to wait for it to cool down a bit. Even in short grass they can hide well.

Half Dog
03-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Awgh hell I'd have to find one that floats first, I've found a way to drop everything else in the lake or river.
Charlie

I would like to go fishing...right behind Charlie. Lol

NavyVet1959
03-02-2016, 04:02 PM
http://s299.photobucket.com/user/farcla/media/Picture076.jpg.html?sort=3&o=69

Don't know if this is how to post using a tablet, if it is here's my M-60.

I like this M60 better, but it might be a bit over the top for use while fishing...

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/m60e4.jpg

Blackwater
03-02-2016, 04:57 PM
I like the way you think, NavyVet!

But seriously, one of the first recommendations is a great option - the Ruger Bearcat. One of the distributors recently had some made up with adj. sights, too, and THAT would be a real Daisy!

A .38 snubby will do fine, too, but my favorite all time river gun is a little Ruger Std. Auto .22 with barrel cut to 3.5-4" and an adj. rear sight installed along with a Lyman Shorty ramp, and a little 1/32" white bead sight that matches the height of the rear adj. blade. That little white bead is just about the size of a snake's head at up to 15 yds. or so, and many have been killed with the one I used to have. I let someone talk me out of it in a weak moment, likely in a trade, and am recreating one now. Absolutely the BEST "river gun" I've ever owned. VERY accurate and with those adj. sights, you can hit some awfully small things at some significant distances. It's a bit bigger than what you're envisioning, but one of those new lightwt. .22/45's would be a real great option if you want ready made. My eldest grandson wants one like crazy, but I haven't bit just yet. He's so tied up with playing ball and church that he has little time to shoot it right now. Doesn't look to improve a lot for the forseeable future, either. But I think I may just get him one for his 18th birthday, which is coming in a little over a year. I think it'll really light a fire under him! And he can SHOOT, too! Needs only a little refining, but all the basics are there in spades.

On the water, it's nice to be able to hit things, and that Ruger auto's accuracy is a BIG benefit, as opposed to shot cap loads, etc. And with the short barrel and a good, cheap, closed end nylon holster, they hold up very well. Mine got wet a number of times, but I cleaned thoroughly when I got home and I'm sure it's still going strong if it didn't wind up in something catastrophic like a house fire. The lwt. versions out now would hardly be noticed, and it's so versatile for so much stuff, it'd be hard for me to find a better "round peg in the round hole." Just my 2 cents' worth.

Ural Driver
03-02-2016, 05:01 PM
While not the smallest gun available I like my Taurus Public Defender. Stainless with 5 rounds of .410/.45 Colt......snakes to gators, I got ya covered.....:popcorn:

Clay M
03-02-2016, 05:06 PM
For years I carried a S&W Model 63 4" kit gun.
I consider it my favorite fishing gun as I don't live where there is any dangerous game.
When fishing in the west I would prefer my S&W Model 629 4"

targetfreak
03-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Ruger .357 mag., SP101 2 1/4" barrel, loaded with .38 special, in a DeSantis pocket holster. Plus, that's my everyday carry. Revolvers accept any loads, including snakeshot.

W.R.Buchanan
03-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I was just thinking about the gun I bought specifically for this role which was fine until all the lakes in CA dried up and now I couldn't go fishing if I wanted to.

My original choice was this really neat S&W 696 no dash that took me exactly one week to find after I was made aware the gun existed. It is .44 Special. A little heavier than the 38's talked about above but a much more significant caliber and an absolute joy to shoot. 250 gr H&G 503's with Pent HP are so cool and shoot right to the sights. This gun does require practice as the short sight radius does have an effect.

I also have CZ82's and a Makarov and either of those would fill the bill, but once again are "holster carry" type guns. CZ82's are some of my favorite pistols as they are really easy to hit with, better for two legged varmints than snakes.

However the OP was asking for something very light to fit in a pocket. My answer to that is a NAA Pug .22 mag. 6.0 oz! with the new Laser Grip. I played with one extensively at SHOT and was able to have the laser within 1" of my intended target 20 feet away on virtually every shot. I was dry firing but wherever the laser is when the trigger breaks is where the shot would have went. I absolutely loved this gun! I thought it should be on my keychain and found out they are actually doing a stud ring conversion just for that.

But,,,,I live in CA and can't buy one. [smilie=b:, but I did send my NAA Mini Master to be converted to .22 Magnum with the new base pin upgrade which they are doing for free, and when it gets back I will be chopping the barrel off to 1" long and installing different sights along with the Laser Grip. [smilie=w: I can't wait. It fits into the Discreet Pocket Carry category about as well as anything could.

Randy

Petrol & Powder
03-02-2016, 11:59 PM
I just don't think super small is the way to go. Some tiny semi-auto, with horrible tiny sights, a one or two finger grip, bad trigger and a marginal cartridge will qualify as a gun but you have to ask yourself, "why bother"?
I don't see the need for pocket carry or deep concealment for a gun carried in that role. I may not want a huge/heavy gun but if I'm going to carry a gun while fishing I at least want to be able to hit something with it if the need presents.

The 3" model 60 with good sights seems like a decent tool (stainless steel, small, lightweight, accurate, good cartridge) but with a real grip on that J-frame it becomes about the same as a K-frame. The 3" J-frame might be a little lighter weight?

In any event, some really tiny auto is of little practical use. And by the time you reach a functional size, you might as well carry a 3" to 4" revolver chambered in 38 Special.

As for shooting snakes, I just don't see the need. If you see the snake, avoid the snake. If you don't see the snake, a gun isn't going to help you anyway.

Bigslug
03-03-2016, 01:04 AM
I like this M60 better, but it might be a bit over the top for use while fishing...

https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B8A9o0AImjXHfmlSQWdFVFRfSmd6d19mTG1jVXUzRWhrZk1KQ WFvdjJidlFtUERRcXh3M1k/m60e4.jpg

M1 Garand - it worked well for Roy Schneider.

jcren
03-03-2016, 01:16 AM
http://northamericanarms.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/m/mmtl_1_2.jpgnorth American arms also makes the black widow 2" and mini master 4" in 22 and 22 mag. I didn't think much of them, but after shooting the 2" black widow with these grips and adjustable sights, they are amazingly accurate. If you can't hit it, it isn't much of a threat and one or 2 rat shot works for those panic moments without blowing holes in the boat or your boot.

Combat Diver
03-03-2016, 09:12 AM
I used to carry either a Smith 651 3" in .22 WMR or Beretta 21A fishing but then upgraded to a Smith 60 (used KSP) carried openly. Now I either carry a Smith 442 Airweight (15 oz) with a shotshell and then 4 125gr Nyclads when fishing on the beach. But when I woods roam I carry my old 3" CA Bulldog in .44 SPL (21 oz). First round or two shotshells followed by 240gr LSWC hard cast. I've also have gators and black bears in my fishing spots along the NC coastline in the swamps.

CD

rking22
03-03-2016, 06:05 PM
I used to carry a M696 with shot loads, till I found out what they sell for!! Now it's a M36 with shot loads, followed by 2 midrange wadcutters. I have no real issue with snakes,EXCEPT cottonmouths , those darn things are just plain aggressive. i have had them try an get into the boat before! Been chased out of the creek more than once. Probably the best now (new gun) would be a Ruger LCR in 38Special, lightweight and accurate. I hear lots of comments about a 2inch "belly gun" being no good past "contact",,, NOT so, they are generally very accurate(mine does 4 1/2 inches at 50yards rested, was curious). Just hard to shoot accurately, durn, gota shoot more to get good :)
I had an NAA 22Mag as a creek gun, did not keep it long. From what I read here, mine must have been a lemon. Bullets hit sideways at 5 yards, and snake shot would not kill a snake at less than 5 feet. I tried it, 5 shots and the snake was NOT dead! 4 foot chicken snake in an outbuliding, had to grab him and use a shovel. Maybe I need to look into those again???

jcren
03-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I had first shot one on the birdhead grip 1" models with the front bead. Didn't noticed it hitting sideways, but very hard to shoot well and massive velocity difference. Oh, what a difference an inch makes!

rking22
03-03-2016, 07:37 PM
good point, mine was a 1 inch. May pick up a 2 inch and see whats what.

Blanket
03-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Lienad/ Cobray 410 derringer

Ole Joe Clarke
03-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Use enough gun.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad123/olejoeclark/Fishing/Fishing022.jpg (http://s928.photobucket.com/user/olejoeclark/media/Fishing/Fishing022.jpg.html)

Captain O
03-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Lienad/ Cobray 410 derringer

I have one of those. It is relatively cheap, yet effective. If lost you aren't out a great deal of money. These are worth a look for "cheap" protection. Be advised, they can be dangerous, yet can also be effective at short range with .410 bore #7 shot. (They kill snakes well, but since they have no extractor, the shells must be "picked out" with your finger and thumbnail).

rking22
03-03-2016, 11:12 PM
That one makes me think the M60 would be nice!!!! :)

Dan Cash
03-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Except in Brown/Grizzly Bear country, my .45 Auto does it all for me. Big enough for any threat and it is a real fish getter. Bullet smacks close to the fish and they float.

Edward
03-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Glock 26 tupperware is waterproof and my everyday fungun:bigsmyl2:

NavyVet1959
03-04-2016, 03:27 AM
Glock 26 tupperware is waterproof and my everyday fungun:bigsmyl2:

But it can rust...

http://www.wingman26.com/images/shooting/glocks-dont-rust.jpg

RU shooter
03-04-2016, 10:08 AM
But it can rust...

yes they can but probably still fires and functions just fine as glocks do even under extreme use and abuse ��!
Thanks all for the suggestion there was a few I didn't think about and I will revisit my dislike of revolters in this application .

Thanks,Tim

Hickok
03-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Also get a couple of these for when the fish quit biting!:bigsmyl2:

Smoke4320
03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Light weight snubnose 38 revolver loaded 1/2 snake shot , 1/2 HP's Covers all your bases

jmorris
03-04-2016, 05:19 PM
But it can rust...

If you planted it a little deeper you might have grown a glock tree and would have been able to pick new ones off this season.

Smoke4320
03-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Plant one 26 and get 2 42's next year .. Pruned properly and you will get a 43

NavyVet1959
03-04-2016, 06:00 PM
yes they can but probably still fires and functions just fine as glocks do even under extreme use and abuse ��!

I remember reading a thread about a police armorer who had a problem with the mag springs rusting, breaking, and then binding up for some of the officers on their port unit.

Plate plinker
03-04-2016, 07:31 PM
But it can rust...

Salt water environment must require some extra wipe downs. Come on now.

NavyVet1959
03-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Salt water environment must require some extra wipe downs. Come on now.

I'm thinking he should have run it through the dishwasher each night after whatever abuse he inflicted upon it. :)

Para82
03-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Another vote for the S&W J frame I have the 637 and 642. Both would work.

flint45
03-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Charter Arms pathfinder 3in. bbl. bought new in78 great little revolver never any problems snakes rats andpests beware.It even shooed away a nastey two legged creature that wondered into camp up on the Kern river one day.

rking22
03-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Well I'm a revolver guy and a M36 is my present companion BUT... I bought a TCP yesterday on a lark. My first plastic pistol and my oh my am I supprised! That thing shoots my 380 loads(RD 100gr with 3.2 of 231) right to the sights and is WAY more accurate than I expected. At cottonmouth distance I am putting all shots into a quarter(about 5 yards). I can hit coke cans at 30yards resting on the truck hood, with a little "english"! Light 10oz empty, plastic and stainless, and accurate enough to be interesting ! Shot last 4 on paper at 25 long steps into about 3 inches rested. group was 4 inches hi and 4 inches right, but I don't shoot live things that far with 380 pocket pistols. Oh, it slings brass all over creation too. OP said a pocket auto for fishing,, I would have never thought it but now I got one :)

Markbo
03-10-2016, 08:25 PM
KelTc P11 drops rights ito Dockers front or rear pocket

ghh3rd
03-10-2016, 10:32 PM
I love my SW 642 - slip it into a pocket holster in your front pocket, and forget it's there. I also have al Al's kydex pocket holster for my Glock 27 (.40) and although many say it's not a pocket gun, it pocket carries well with little printing with the right pants pocket... had it in my pocket all day today in fact.

FergusonTO35
03-11-2016, 03:16 PM
You must have some big pants pockets. My S&W 637 is pretty snug when carried in a Desantis Nemesis, and I'm 6'3/278. Most of the time I carry it on the ankle or in a high ride OWB.

41special
03-13-2016, 01:57 PM
I've considered snub revolver but imo there too girthy to just slip in my pants pocket . Others may disagree but I likem flat . Anyone have any thoughts or suggestion?

This. Very light & flat. Load up with some high velocity hollow points & your set.

charlie b
08-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Most of my carrying involves a Polish P64, SP101 (.357 mag) or .45 Colt Commander.

The P64 is carried most of the time cause it easily fits just about anywhere. If the P64 had a good snakeshot round I'd carry it when fishing. Just can't fit enough shot in the 9x18.

So, for fishing, I carry the SP101. Snakeshot works really well and it is stainless. I usually have it in a chest/shoulder holster where I can reach it through the waders/vest.

A .38 spl, like the LCR would be my choice if I wanted really light.

PS If I already had the Kahr in .45 I'd just keep a couple snakeshot in it and keep carrying it :)

tdoyka
08-13-2016, 03:53 PM
mine used to be(i still have it, but fishing thru wooded areas is not for stroke abled people[smilie=l:) a rossi m68 s in 38sp. fill the cylinder up with shot shells and you fear no snake. except one of them anacondas or pythons, them you better use something along the lines of a 12 gauge with 3 1/2" buckshot:razz:. trust me, i've seen them in hollywood movies and they get BIG[smilie=l:.

Texantothecore
08-13-2016, 04:02 PM
Bond arms .45/.410 will do the trick. A good gun.

backhoe
08-13-2016, 04:16 PM
You want small,trythe cw380. Mine follows me everwhere.

rintinglen
08-13-2016, 11:12 PM
174394My choice, before the unleaded requirement killed the choice, was one or the other of these. The 63 or the Police Positive with a snake round up front and 5 solids behind, and a speed strip or two to spare for the Colt or a box of 22lr made no never mind on my belt.

W.R.Buchanan
08-14-2016, 03:26 PM
rintinglen: nothing says you can carry a gun with lead boolits in it. You just can't hunt with it, and since you can't really hunt with a pistol in CA anyway it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you are out hiking a trail you have every right to carry a gun with you and it doesn't have to have Copper Bullets to be legal. You aren't hunting.

Randy

lightload
08-14-2016, 04:02 PM
I have two Ruger lcp .380's and highly recommend them. I replaced the factory recoil spring with Wolff's heaviest recoil spring and recoil became manageable. Both pistols are deadly accurate with the Buffalo Bore +p hard cast bullet round. Retail now has dropped to about $250. About KelTec, I've owned five of their semi auto's in .380 and 9mm and had trouble with each. Multiple trips to the factory failed to fix some of them. But, for your stated purpose, the S&W J frame 2" Airweight may be your best choice. Shot loads are available, and you can always develop a warm wadcutter round that should serve many purposes. These revolvers are very accurate and 99.999% reliable. Plus they have great resale value.

RJM52
08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Since you are already a Kahr shooter have you looked at the P380? It is a lot more shootable than the Keltec and MUCH better sights.

Bob

rintinglen
08-15-2016, 05:55 PM
It is illegal to carry, openly or otherwise, since 2012.
Under California Penal Code 26350 PC, you are guilty of violating California open carry laws when you:

Carry on your person an exposed and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the following:

A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county;

A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county; or

A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

Carry an exposed and unloaded handgun inside or on a vehicle, whether or not on your person, while in or on any of the following:

A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county; or

A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.1 (https://www.wklaw.com/practice-areas/california-open-carry-gun-laws-california-penal-code-26350-pc/#fn1)

The California Court of Appeals has held that a public place is defined as “any area reasonably accessible to the public without a barrier.”
Exceptions are made for hunting, but starting this year, only "unleaded" ammunition can be used for hunting. Possession of lead bullet ammunition while hunting is also illegal.

NavyVet1959
08-15-2016, 09:06 PM
Under California Penal Code 26350 PC, you are guilty of violating California open carry laws when you:

Carry on your person an exposed and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the following:

Carry an exposed and unloaded handgun inside or on a vehicle, whether or not on your person, while in or on any of the following:

A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.1 (https://www.wklaw.com/practice-areas/california-open-carry-gun-laws-california-penal-code-26350-pc/#fn1)

The California Court of Appeals has held that a public place is defined as “any area reasonably accessible to the public without a barrier.”
Exceptions are made for hunting, but starting this year, only "unleaded" ammunition can be used for hunting. Possession of lead bullet ammunition while hunting is also illegal.

Hmmm... I wonder what the rules were around 27 years ago when I was there and some punk shot me while trying to rob me. I wonder if he broken any laws...

Last time I flew though SFO, it was definitely more of a pain to fly with a handgun in my luggage than it was when I went through IAH. Like a completely different world...

Lucky Joe
08-15-2016, 09:54 PM
This .22/45 works for me.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k168/Luckyjoe_01/Ruger%2022%2045/GEDC2444_zpselos4thj.jpg (http://s88.photobucket.com/user/Luckyjoe_01/media/Ruger%2022%2045/GEDC2444_zpselos4thj.jpg.html)

Markbo
08-16-2016, 12:53 PM

All in all, tbat sounds.like a sucky place to live.

NavyVet1959
08-16-2016, 01:58 PM
All in all, tbat sounds.like a sucky place to live.

Agreed, but one thing that I noticed in the SF area was that people carry fanny packs routinely, so carrying a handgun in one will not be noticed as long as it is not one of the typical ones that we normally use for carrying handguns.

KCSO
08-16-2016, 02:33 PM
An 1851 Navy revolver will kill carp if you don't hit the swim bladder? I carry an old Beretta minx for snakes and such.

Walkingwolf
08-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Agreed, but one thing that I noticed in the SF area was that people carry fanny packs routinely, so carrying a handgun in one will not be noticed as long as it is not one of the typical ones that we normally use for carrying handguns.

I believe fanny packs have been replaced with man purses. While still in Fl. LE assumed anybody with a fanny pack was carrying as it became so popular. Just make sure your man purse matches your clothing, and shoes.:bigsmyl2:

Drm50
08-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Sounds like OPs Fish'en' Gun, should be a good 22, since he is not going to encounter any large
dangerous animals. A good 22 is a lot more accurate than pocket CCW autos. A good full size 22
is a little more than I want to carry when my main mission is fishing. I bought a m34 Kit Gun
30yrs ago, got old and clumsy and took a dunk with it. Being a blue steel gun, it had to be totally
stripped and cleaned. So I got a shooter grade 34 snubby, I couldn't shoot it well enough, so I
bought a mint m422, another very nice 22. It was accurate and flat as well as light weight alloy.
Just wasn't what I was used to, so I bought a nice m63 though a forum member last week. I
think I have found the perfect country western Fish'en Gun. Same accuracy as m34 in a stainless
package. A lot more durable around water and capable of putting a hole in anything that aggravates me.

Earlwb
08-17-2016, 10:19 AM
I would go with a S&W Bodyguard .380. Since they make .380 shotshells too, that would work out well for a pocket gun that is easy to carry. of course the little Kel Tec .32 auto isn't bad either. I have both and both guns work well. I figure that one would not want a really nice gun for fishing, etc. You might lose it out on the water if you capsize or something. Thus you would not want something really nice being lost. Of course I would darn sure want to have a big magnet for retrieval purposes to give it a good try to recover a gun if it went overboard.

Combat Diver
08-17-2016, 10:56 AM
I would go with a S&W Bodyguard .380. Since they make .380 shotshells too, that would work out well for a pocket gun that is easy to carry. of course the little Kel Tec .32 auto isn't bad either. I have both and both guns work well. I figure that one would not want a really nice gun for fishing, etc. You might lose it out on the water if you capsize or something. Thus you would not want something really nice being lost. Of course I would darn sure want to have a big magnet for retrieval purposes to give it a good try to recover a gun if it went overboard.

Who makes a .380/9mm Kruz shotshell. I see CCI doesn't

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx

CD

Earlwb
08-17-2016, 07:10 PM
You are correct, my mistake, they don't make factory made .380 shotshells. I really thought they had by now, but I misread the information I saw earlier. You would have to make them yourself. CCI's excuse for not making the shells was odd though. CCI stated there wasn't enough room for enough shot in the.380 to do it. But if they can make .22 LR shotshells, I don't see what the problem is. Speer makes some .38/.357 shot capsules that one could cut down and maybe use in a .380 or 9mm. You may have to shoot them singly though. It would be nice to get the CCI 9mm shot capsules though, but CCI doesn't appear to be selling them separate though.

one way to do it ref http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/reloading/165460-cheap-quick-way-making-380-shotshells.html

I just ran across someone that shows how he made .380 shotshells out of .223 brass cases.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=642817

victorfox
08-18-2016, 04:39 PM
I would go with an used taurus 85 5shot 2". Small to conceal, can stop a 2leg threat, can shoot snakeshot and if it drowns you won't cry :lol: