PDA

View Full Version : George Kennedy Has Passed

smokeywolf
03-01-2016, 03:16 AM
I used to see him at MGM Studios when he was working on "Dallas". He drove a not so new Suburban with the lic. plate "G 4 J". I can tell you he was a polite man.

On a Friday afternoon in I think 1988, I was having my usual bowl of clam chowder on the veranda/patio of "The Cub Room" at MGM. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mr. Kennedy come out the front door of the commissary and descend the steps, he made a left, walking right in front of me. About that time he noticed me, spoon full of clam chowder halfway to my mouth and lower jaw resting on the table. He stopped, did a left face, held out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm George Kennedy" It's the only time I've ever been "star struck". All I could do is shake his hand and nod my head. He gave me a big grin, managed to get his hand back, turned and wandered back to stage 18.

Never looked into his political leanings, but I can tell you, he was a real gentleman and a gifted actor.

Via con Dios Mr. Kennedy. You are already missed.

DoubleAdobe
03-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Dragline was sure a good pal to Cool Hand Luke. No man could ask for a more loyal friend than that.

GaryN
03-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I always liked to watch him. I don't watch as many of the newer movies. I have a personal grudge against a bunch of the actors. I don't like their politics and their lack of morals.

Don Purcell
03-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Can't ever remember him giving a bad performance. smokeywolf, the way you described him I would bet he would fit right in here.

bayjoe
03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
I liked him, I thought he was a good actor.
May he rest in peace

Artful
03-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Great Actor

Dragline:
He was smiling... That's right. You know, that, that Luke smile of his. He had it on his face right to the very end. Hell, if they didn't know it 'fore, they could tell right then that they weren't a-gonna beat him. That old Luke smile. Oh, Luke. He was some boy. Cool Hand Luke. Hell, he's a natural-born world-shaker.

Dragline:
My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for another couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCZvM6-okQ

Stewbaby
03-01-2016, 10:58 PM
He was distinct and powerful.

Thunderbolt and lightfoot!