PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a giant air rifle pellet

muskeg13
05-01-2008, 03:50 AM
I cast for everything else, so why not the 12 ga.? I've loaded rifle and pistol cartridges for over 30 years so I guess it's past time to start loading for the shotguns too. 134 good Lyman slugs after 4 or 5 cold mold rejects. Just like most serious casters have to prep Lee molds before use, I routinely scribe the air vent lines on new molds. I also dipped the base plug in the alloy until no metal stuck before inserting it into the mold. Average weight was 528 gr with ww and a little lead free solder. Slug diameter is .684 for the nose band and .668 for the base. Saeco hardness is 6/BN9. I loaded 30 rounds tonight with a Lee Loader, much like I did 33 years ago. We'll see how they shoot.

garandsrus
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM
muskeg13,

If you get some good shooting loads, please publish them :)

I have tried this boolit/slug with several recipes according to the Lyman manual and didn't get good results. The base of the slug tends to shear off the wad petals.

John

ovendoctor
05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I shoot them out of my Ithaca 37 smooth bore with great results:-D

downed several deer with them:drinks:

Dixie Slugs
05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Just some thoughts! The wads that have the little ridges inside the petals are bad about shearing! The best wad we have tested with slugs like the Lyman and Lee Key Slug has been the Federal 12S3...and a 20 ga nitro wad inside the wad to adjust crimp index. That wad has smooth petals inside.
Regards, James