PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax

richhodg66
02-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Picked one up today, have heard a lot about them, watched a youtube video or two and got intrigued. It was in a local shop and I got it for about half what the cheapest ones on Ebay I've seen are going for.

Only thing wrong is it's missing the little jig thing for adjusting the shell holder jaws on the priming set up. Also came with six or seven of the Forster lock rings for the dies. The former owner outfitted it with the shorter handle, I may have to see about getting the standard one and see which works better.

I'm looking forward to getting this set up and seeing if they are all they're cracked up to be.

tazman
02-29-2016, 10:18 PM
I am looking forward to your results. I have been thinking about getting one also.

labradigger1
02-29-2016, 10:18 PM
The shirt handle should be fine for you. Great press but a loooooong wide arc of the handle.
If you get the l and ls shell plates you are covered.
Ps, I picked mine up at a flea market for $70. Happy day!

richhodg66
02-29-2016, 10:25 PM
New, they cost $463 according to Forster's site. You got a steal for $70. Mine was a little more, but still not bad.

Looks like I can get the primer locator part and the stuff for the longer handle. Maybe I should try it with the short handle first.

country gent
02-29-2016, 10:33 PM
Unless you doing heavy reforming or other heavy resizing the short handle works well. I have used mine for close to 30 years now. I rebuilt it once as the pins and links were worn. I also made a new hardened plate for under the shell holder. The primer set up tool is a simple round tool. Main dia the same as the mount plate with large and small primer ends set a case on the end and set the fingers to hold case rim. WOrks and is simple to use. When removing the shell plate watch the springs closely to make sure they stay in place and dont come out. Great press that loads very accurate ammo. Mine loaded my NRA High power match ammo for many years along with hunting ammo and pistol ammo.

daboone
03-01-2016, 11:53 AM
I got this aftermarket shell plate from the guy in the youtube. No more flying springs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8)

Sagebrush7
03-03-2016, 03:06 PM
162621 I make offset handles for the Co-Ax press. Comes with extra set screws and wrenches. Fits the new model. $20.00 +$ 6.67 ship

hornetman
03-04-2016, 10:25 AM
I have the aftermarket shell plate daboone spoke of-it's a great addition. Another worthwhile addition is the offset roller handle made by Inline Fabrication. He makes it for both the new model with the handle fastened with a set screw and the older one using a roll pin.

oldcanadice
03-04-2016, 02:26 PM
I cut the long one down. The arrangement is way more convenient and has plenty of power for any rifle case resizing I do.

abunaitoo
03-04-2016, 03:41 PM
I got one from a house I helped clean out.
Always wanted one, but poor.
Haven't tried it yet.

Bodean98
03-04-2016, 06:10 PM
I bought one for my Christmas present to me this year. I haven't used it a tremendous amount yet but what use it has seen has been very good. Very smooth and powerful. It is at least as powerful as my RC2 and the shell holder is the greatest thing since a pocket on a shirt. Quick die changes are a big plus as well. My reloading room is in my house so the primer catcher is a real boon to marital relations. There are still things I need to learn about its use (I'm still on the uphill side of the learning curve) but it is quickly becoming my favorite press. In short I wish I had bought one of these 40 years ago!

AbitNutz
03-04-2016, 06:13 PM
I got this aftermarket shell plate from the guy in the youtube. No more flying springs.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8 (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9BpFD7NbvL8)

I agree 100% with buying this. I bought it and it was the best addition I could have made. Anyone having a Co-Ax will find this extremely useful.

dverna
03-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Mine is over 45 years old. You will like it

MT Chambers
03-04-2016, 11:41 PM
I've got the improved jaw holder on the way, I'll letcha know how it works, but if it saves me from crawling around on the floor looking for those tiny springs, it's good!