PDA

View Full Version : Bullet feed die for 30 cal

Rich22
02-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Thought I would throw this out there in the event someone has seen something I have not. I am about to embark on high volume 300 Blackout reloading. In order to get it done with the volume I am wanting to do, I am going to need a bullet feed die. With my nerve issue, placing bullets on cases anymore is very difficult and my 9mm bullet feeder has been a huge help and I am going to make a collator for it ASAP. Hornady rifle bullet feed unit will not work (from what I have read) since it will not work with oversized lead bullets and I have read two reports that the 300 BO is too short a case to make the unit work. It is also FAR too expensive for my current situation.

Perhaps this?

http://www.doublealpha.biz/mr-bulletfeeder-die-assembly

and then get a tube based system going for now and a collator system eventually?

Big things are it must be reliable and must be able to use cast and coated (Hi Tek or PC) and fairly cheap. Nice to have would be it also be able to be used to load 308 Win.

Thanks

tja6435
02-29-2016, 07:36 PM
If you have a dremel and some small grinding stones, you can open the Hornady feed die up to work with your oversized lead boolits. I opened one up for 358" lubed boolits and it works awesomely after I worked it over with the dremel stones then polished it up with rouge

jmorris
03-01-2016, 12:49 AM
The KISS/(old) MBF dies are the only rifle feed dies I have used but they work great with J-word bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

The design would work better (IMO) than the collet design of the Hornady system; however, the largest hurtle would be wax lube and collating them into the drop tube.

Rich22
03-01-2016, 01:44 AM
The KISS/(old) MBF dies are the only rifle feed dies I have used but they work great with J-word bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La83ZVKnBzw

The design would work better (IMO) than the collet design of the Hornady system; however, the largest hurtle would be wax lube and collating them into the drop tube.

I have no plans to ever use wax lube. If it could handle both small (110gr) and large (250gr) bullets both coated lead and J word from .308 to .311 I would be happy

FWest
03-01-2016, 08:07 AM
http://reloaders.com/bullet-seating-die-body-only/

I have not used this die but might work for you.

jmorris
03-01-2016, 11:07 AM
I have no plans to ever use wax lube. If it could handle both small (110gr) and large (250gr) bullets both coated lead and J word from .308 to .311 I would be happy

I haven't played with the newer MBF dies but the old style would have a fair chance of doing what you want. They are not a collet style dropper, like others so they have a better chance of working without issue with variations in diameter.

Drew P
03-01-2016, 01:08 PM
I have a double alpha 30cal dropper die and it will work with any diameter and any shape bullet you can come up with. It's the only way to go imo. It's adjustable and just plain works. And only 50$. I use mine by simply feeding the die and letting it drop bullets precisely for me.

Rich22
03-04-2016, 02:02 AM
I have a double alpha 30cal dropper die and it will work with any diameter and any shape bullet you can come up with. It's the only way to go imo. It's adjustable and just plain works. And only 50$. I use mine by simply feeding the die and letting it drop bullets precisely for me.

If I can adapt this for a tube system for now while im waiting to build a collator then I think we have a winner. Hey JMorris, do you happen to have any plans posted anywhere for your collator designs? Thank you guys

jmorris
03-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Might take a look at this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232791-Mr-Bullet-feeder-for-star

For .223 and 30 cal bullets you will want to stack two plates together so they are taller. A little more work but the "flipper" part is a lot easier to make using the very pointed skinned bullets.

Moonie
03-05-2016, 01:58 AM

Will this die handle heavy weight bullets in 30 caliber? The long ones for subsonic loads. (230gr+)

Drew P
03-05-2016, 03:10 AM
The double alpha die can't fail. It doesn't operate by friction or fairy dust like the Hornady version. It has 3 ball bearings that close as the bullet leaves the die and support the stack of bullets above it very securely. When you see how it works your immediate thought will be, oh yeah, that's how they should all work. So yes I'm sure bullet weight or shape or diameter is not a consideration to its function.

Drew P
03-05-2016, 03:14 AM
I should edit that last statement by saying as long as the bullet fits within the adjustment range of the die, but with my 30 cal die there are several adjustment points with where you can install the balls and where the retaining clip rides in grooves, so there's a pretty wide range of options if imagine. A bullet that's 3" long might not work so there may be an upper limit to length, which in turn means weight. I've used it for 145gr fmj through 230gr cast lead.

Rich22
03-18-2016, 07:30 PM
I now have the DAA dies coming in both 9mm and .308. Am going to be very interested to see how it works. I was going to just do the .308 but my RCBS bit the dust yesterday because a rubber band that holds the plastic fingers together disintegrated. I am thinking the design may be flawed if the only thing keeping a tube of 60 bullets from falling through the die and onto my shellplate is a rubber band. Now to adapt this for a tube setup and when I have time, collator build.