PDA

View Full Version : How good are those old Mossberg army training 22LR rifles?

tazman
02-29-2016, 07:14 PM
How good are those old Mossberg army training 22LR rifles?
I came across one at a pawn shop. There were no sights on it but the stock and action appeared to be okay and the barrel was clean without any pitting.
I don't remember if it was a model 42 or 44.
They wanted $400 for it.

straightwall
02-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Talk them down to $250 and buy it. I bet they only paid $100 for it. That is what a local pawn shop told me is their going "buy" rate for any .22 rifle.

aspangler
02-29-2016, 11:35 PM
I have a 44us that will shoot with a LOT of bench rest guns. $250 would be a good price if you can get it for that. Try several different ammo brands. Mine likes Eley Team. One hole at 50 yards.

Mk42gunner
03-01-2016, 02:34 AM
My experience with old Mossberg .22's is that they are all accurate, even the "plinking grade" semi automatics. $400.00 seems a bit steep for one without any type of sighting system though.

Is it drilled and tapped for a scope mount?

Robert

tazman
03-01-2016, 04:11 AM
Is it drilled and tapped for a scope mount?

Robert

If I remember correctly, it was drilled and tapped for a side mount scope base of some kind, which was not included of course.

Char-Gar
03-01-2016, 09:03 AM
I have a civilian version with the tubuliar magazine I bought in a pawn shop for $80.00 in 2008. It is a highly accurate rifle.

shooterg
03-02-2016, 04:19 PM
I have 10 of the Mossberg 44's. Mine came from the CMP, paid no more than $79.95 for any of 'em. Do see 'em at shows for $350 WITH SIGHTS. Great for intro/kids matches, very accurate with good ammo. Some even have Lyman sights(guvmint paid about $2 more for those !).Very close approximation of M1 Garand sight picture and "feel" with the full size stock ( I whacked a couple for kids use). Some of the USGI versions did come with holes for the side mounts, only a couple of mine have 'em. Vic Havlin has a lot of parts for them still, even has a new made aperture sight available.

georgerkahn
03-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I concur with other posters re price -- without seeing it, ~ one half of their asking price would seem more in line. Fyi, a site you may have interest in re Mossbergs is:
http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Mossberg_42MB.htm
Good luck; and, re the price -- it's only money you can't take with you.... and/or none of us will be able to do much shooting while in a nursing home... Spring's not that far off, and this firearm surely would be a hoot to shoot!
BEST!
geo

too many things
03-04-2016, 01:20 AM
most all will shoot better than the user . there could be 2 side mounts and some were tapped for both . mine is I have a weaver 4x but there is a 6 x that use the other 2 holes but as said 200 or less

Bigslug
03-04-2016, 01:52 AM
Damn good shooters, but for four bills, I want something that either already has sights or can readily be scoped. My 144LSA took a fair amount of shim stock and grinding-to-length of hardware store bolts to get the rear sight I THOUGHT would work perfectly when ordering to mount with the windage roughly centered. Magazines not cheap or easy to come by either.

Talk them down. www.havlinsales.com helped me out a bunch with parts on that rifle and one other Mossberg I restored for a buddy. Also, Garry Fellers can usually be counted on for the right sights.

zubrato
05-24-2016, 05:55 AM
I've a 46M I love to death. Bought it for 130$ in great condition other than someone's drivers license electro pencilled into the receiver :(
It's the most reliable 22 I've ever held, and I think holds a tie with my Marlin 60 for accuracy, though I've never benched them side by side.
I hear the trigger guards like to break, and the front qd sling swivels are usually missing.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-24-2016, 10:40 AM
I have civilian 44US-D , the civilians are easy to tell they have no serial number and are drilled and tapped for the side mount scope mount

I have a Lyman front sight with a S-130 mossberg rear peep

mags are not cheap 38 dollars each

sling swivels are 38

scope mount 23

but boy do they shoot for a 200 dollar rifle got mine for 200 about 5 years ago

not a military trainer but I saw a 46B at a shop yesterday for 140 with the tube mag it had a trigger guard that needed refitting and the original sights were off of it and it wore a little 4x scope but otherwise the metal and wood looked decent

Der Gebirgsjager
05-24-2016, 02:11 PM
I've got a 42MB that I bought from Montgomery Ward back in about 1966 for $12.50. Neat rifle, made more so by the "United States Property" stamp and lots of British proof marks. Considering the gusty wind and non-target ammo I'm sure it could perform better than the one target I saved. The 44 US has a heavier barrel and stock, and is probably even more accurate. I think the 42MB was meant to be an inexpensive trainer for the Lee Enfield rifle, which is why it remains in my collection.

I've done business with the Havlins several times, and that would be a good source for the missing sight. The advice about magazines is good--if you acquire the rifle immediately begin keeping an eye out for an extra mag. I do believe that some after market replacements have been made by other than Mossberg. Even those are scarce. Buy a copy of their book, "Mossberg More Gun For The Money" if still available.

TCLouis
05-24-2016, 07:47 PM
would offer them $150 Max if the gun is in decent shape and not go $200 unless I just wanted it.

Lot depends how bad you want it.

Most any 22 is worth 100 bucks I think.

Scope mount from Havlin's is $28.50 and postage.

I put a new scope on mine (2.5X10 AO) last week and sighted it in today.

Minute of squirrels head at 50 and that is with Federal ammo (bought long ago and still have 1/2 of a 30 cal ammo can of) that it does not especially like!

Dang Posted again down below

Artful
05-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Like everyone else has said they are shooters.
Plus the fact that 22LR ammo is more expensive than it used to be and harder to get - you can talk them down from that $400 price.

BPJONES
05-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Depends on the model. If it is a 42 full wood it might be worth $175.00 tops without the sights. Sights, and swivels if missing, will cost you up to $200.00 for originals.
If it is just the plain model 42 (not full wood) it is worth even less.
Same goes for the 44.
There are several variants of the 42 and 44 models. The only trainers were the 44 US or the 42M(b) lend lease rifles. The other variants were not actual military trainers although people refer to them as such.
In regards to the original poster of this thread, I'm sure he either bought the rifle by now or it has been sold. Mind you, at even close to $400.00 with no sights they will have it a long time so maybe it's still there.

tazman
05-25-2016, 08:25 PM
Actually it is still there and he won't budge on the price.
I have decided to go with a CZ 455 Ultra Lux. I can get parts if needed, it has a warranty, and it has a wonderful reputation.

C. Latch
05-25-2016, 08:32 PM
I have a 144LSA that I got for $250 with sling, swivels, and front sight still original. It has a cheap Bushnell scope on it.

So I'd pay $200 for one that was in rough shape. For $400 I'd do what you did and look at the CZ. I like my Mossberg and in the 2 years I've had it, it has accounted for a lot of squirrels and varmints around the chicken coop, but for $400 I'd rather have the CZ.

atr
05-26-2016, 10:12 AM
the $400 is out of line...I just bought one last summer for $150. and it is a great shooter!

Steve E
06-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Like shooterg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?2607-shooterg) I paid $79.95 for mine, I have two and both are fantastic shooters. Odd thing about mine is that one has one more land and groove that the other one, I counted them several times over the years and it still comes out that one has more.

Steve..........

Jack Stanley
06-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Though my Mossberg is a great shooting rifle I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it , unless maybe I was a collector . I'm pretty sure you'll like the CZ and what it will offer you . Chances are good it will shoot at least as well as the old rifle without the hunt for parts .

Jack

TCLouis
07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
I am saying this for the 44 or 144.

Without sights, I would offer way less than 1/2 their asking price I'm betting the sights went to one of the auction sites if it came in with them and if not they paid diddly for it.

What about magazine and sling swivels (original swivels are like 40 bucks, and the is Magazine not far behind that)

Havlin Sales has the scope mount and it works well as I can attest.

I am betting even the cheaper Mossberg rear sight is pricey also, front sight replacement can be the Lyman 17