PDA

View Full Version : Sprue Cutter Orientation

claude
02-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Almost all Lee molds with the exception of 6 cavity models have the sprue cutter pointing away from the handles, however when one mounts their own mold into a set of handles, there is a choice to mount the sprue cutter point back toward the handles or away. So far I have cut all my sprues by hand pressure, not whacking the cutter with a stick and find the cutter oeiented so that it points back toward the handles much handier.

My question, being green as grass, is this, is there a distinct advantage to one orientation over another besides not whacking the handles should one overstrike when hitting the cutter?

runfiverun
02-29-2016, 10:45 PM
leverage when opening by hand is the reason i mount mine towards the handles.
even when i have to whack one open that direction allows me to lay the mold on it's side where i can aim at the sprue plate nub, and still control the mold with my left hand.

SciFiJim
03-01-2016, 12:38 AM
It's a matter of personal choice. I attach my molds so that the sprue plate nub is pointed away from the handles so that it is easier for me to cut the sprue with thumb pressure. If I need to whack it to cut the sprue, it is not near my hand on the handle and less likely to whack my fingers.

Mk42gunner
03-01-2016, 02:19 AM
Personal preference as to which way works best for you.

Robert

montanamike
03-01-2016, 02:50 AM
I have the sprue plate facing away. I always use a tapper. I don't need to but I don't like wearing gloves.

claude
03-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Thank you gentlemen, another newb's question answered quickly and courteously.

claude

bedbugbilly
03-01-2016, 12:06 PM
It's whatever works best for you. I mount mine so the sprue plate "nub" is pointed away from the handles. All I have ever used is hand pressure to cut the sprues off as for me, it slows down my cadence to have to reach down and pick up something to whack on a sprue plate (and why bang on a mold unless you let it cool down to where you can't use hand pressure?). Been doing it that way for 50+ years and it works for me.

I'm right handed so can't speak to it but perhaps if you are left handed, mounting the blocks so the sprue plate "nub" is facing the handles might make it easier to cut the sprues by hand?

And personally, I would never cast without wearing gloves that extend up over the wrist (I use welder gloves). You are working with high temperatures, hot molds, molten metal that will quickly cause a serious burn. I also wear protective clothes that will stop any splatter or "tinsel" should something happen, along with a good pair of safety glasses that are rounded to protect not only a "head on" into an eye but keep it from going down behind the glasses as well . . . and I know some who wear a full tip down face shield. But then I know some who ride bicycles bare footed and motorcycles without helmets . . . and as a former firefighter and rescue worker, I've seen more than enough serious injuries associated with not doing things safely. But to each their own I guess.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2016, 02:04 PM
leverage when opening by hand is the reason i mount mine towards the handles.
even when i have to whack one open that direction allows me to lay the mold on it's side where i can aim at the sprue plate nub, and still control the mold with my left hand.
I've never even dreamed of doing this.
Now I'm curious, and will have to try it next time.