PDA

View Full Version : H&G#68 background

jms1911
02-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Does anyone here know the history of the H&G #68 bullet? For example who designed it and when? Was it contracted to H&G to make? This bullet is "HANDS DOWN" the most accurate design at 50 yard shooting in my 1911 and I have about shot them all. It seems to be about the most "copied" design out there for good reason. I am pretty familiar with the back ground of Hensley and Gibbs but not where the design came from. John

John J
03-01-2016, 06:38 PM
This was taken from Thomas Dogas H&G website-http://www.hensleygibbs.com/

#68 - .45 Auto. 200 grains. "By Crawford". Available in plain or bevel base. One rounded grease groove, no crimp groove, semi-wadcutter shoulder, then nose straight taper to slight round-off to meplat. Very popular, very accurate .45 ACP target bullet. See Outdoors Magazine February and September 1940 issues. Also "Roper, August 1940 issue American Rifleman". American Rifleman issue June 1948 page 46 "Giles .45 Shop-l 1/2" at 50 yards, 1 1/32" at 25 yards" "11/5/70--Don Scott, Clackamas, Oregon, machine rest tested twenty ACP's, all 2" or under at 50 yards".

John J

wv109323
03-01-2016, 08:17 PM
I understand the nose profile causes the brass case to travel the exact same path of a 230 gn. RN. round. When the nose strikes the feed ramp the case should follow the same path into the chamber, however that path is only in one axis. If the SWC is misaligned with the chamber then the shoulder can catch on the side of the chamber entrance. That is why most guns have the chamber throated on the sides to improve functioning with the H&G 68 bullet.
Also the design has the center of gravity to the rear which is suppose to help stabilize in flight. I don't know if that was by design or just plain luck.
Hornady made or may still make a jacketed copy of the H&G 68. It was an accurate bullet.

Dragonheart
03-05-2016, 04:24 PM
The H&G #68 design was a longer SWC and would feed when others would not. I have two NOE #68 brass 4 cavity molds and although not an exact copy of the H&G they work great and turn out in my opinion a better bullet.