PDA

View Full Version : It was just one of those days.

LenH
02-29-2016, 10:34 AM
This past Saturday afternoon was a perfect afternoon for casting. Since I have to cast outside, I got everything out to get down to business.
I have a RCBS ProMelt and have never had a minutes trouble out of it until Saturday afternoon. I hooked up the digital controller to the pot
and got the mold heating on the hot plate. I noticed a few threads showing under the handle fulcrum and it was a bit loose, I didn't think much about it
but more on that later. I had left the pot nearly full from the last casting session, which seemed like a good idea at the time.

While waiting for everything to get up to temp I got out all the other stuff to get to casting. When the melt got to temp I noticed that there was a constant drip
almost as bad as my old Lee pot. I put an ingot mold under the spout and tried to figure out why it was dripping. I finally got to a bit of a juggling act with an 8
cavity H & G mold and the ingot mold. That mold will drain a pot quicker than just about anything. I got the pot down to about half way and put the head of a lead
hammer in the handle fulcrum and drip disappeared. I shut down the PID and put the cold sprues back in the pot. I finally got the handle fulcrum taken apart and
tightened and the leak went away. It was a lesson I won't soon forget especially having to fix something while it is hot and trying to deal with welding gloves and small
screws.

Mk42gunner
03-01-2016, 02:23 AM
Glad things worked out okay for you.

Robert