PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME COPPER COATED BULLETS IN 9mm ?

lonewolf5347
02-29-2016, 09:39 AM
I have a total of maybe 2 thousands round down the sr9 pistol seem by two best loads are
135 gr. R.N.F.P. 3.5 gr. Bulleye and 5.0 power Pistol powder @ 1.145
The 135 gr. dia: are at .356
I also did a few mods to the gun cut 2 1/4" coils off the striker spring added a new trigger bar @ polished all the internals it has become my favorite steel plate match gun and also a few IDPA courses.
The gun is a range gun trigger breaks a little under 3 1/2lbs and I have yet to encounter and problems with light primer hits.
I seem to have the gun down were she will hold a 3" group now two hand hold at 35 yards for distance shooting two hand hold unsupported.
I am always trying to improve the gun on the range seem I been playing with a few rounds at 357 dia. again extreme copper coated at 147 gr. R.N. using 3.5 gr. B.E> powder at 1.155 the gun chambers the round no problem ,pressure may be up a little but no signs at far as a hot load. The brass will eject about 5 ft. compared to 2 Ft. using the 135 gr. bullet @ .356
I do find the large diameter bullet has no black soot on fired cases accuracy has gotten better but would like to ask are entreme bullet as hard as FMJ will I do any damage to the barrel. going to the .357 dia. bullet in the ruger sr9

contender1
02-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Why not ask xtreme about the hardness & thickness of their plated bullets?

Bonz
02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
X-treme advertises a minimum of 0.004" of copper plating on each bullet. I have tested their 45 cal copper plated bullets with my Cabine Tree tester which shows that they have a hardness of about 15 bhn. The BulletWorks is another copper plated bullet manufacturer and their bullets have tested out to about 20 bhn. Lyman #2/15 bhn lead is a common hardness for casting bullets for pistols. I have never tested the lead inside of a commercial FMJ bullet but I know that most commercial JHP bullets use pure lead/5 bhn in making their JHP bullets.

junkpile
02-29-2016, 01:22 PM
None of the plated bullets are going to be as hard as FMJ. They're basically no harder than normal hard cast lead, I think due to the copper plating being so thin. I've also heard that the way the plating process works leaves the plating very soft.

But, you shouldn't have any problems using them. I run Berry's in 45 Auto, and have never had a problem. If you're trying to push things really fast, you may have issues, same as hard cast, but at 9mm velocities, I don't think you'll ever see any problems.

Some of those companies will send you samples. You could check with them on it, and just load up 10 or so, and see if anything presents itself.

lonewolf5347
02-29-2016, 04:25 PM
I don't think the above load is a hot load?

dilly
02-29-2016, 04:41 PM
If you are worried about it you could size them, but I wouldn't if they are shooting fine already.

junkpile
02-29-2016, 05:48 PM
I ran across a guy on another forum recently running Xtreme's in his Glock 10mm. I doubt you'll have any problems.

contender1
03-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Ok, I use a lot of Xtreme plated bullets in a few calibers. I shoot USPSA. A LOT of folks use them as well, (Jerry Miculek comes to mind.) But they are not as hard as any jacketed bullet. By going to a .357 bullet,,, you've noticed your brass is being thrown a bit further. That indicates (to me) that your slide is coming back a bit harder & faster. I'd say you have a bit of increased pressure or velocity.
I'd clean the gun, then shoot 10-20 rounds. Really inspect the barrel for any plating buildup. If none, shoot another 10-20 rounds & inspect again. Continue this until you get to about 50 rounds,,, IF,,, you have no visible signs of buildup. Then clean it & look at the patches coming out. If all looks normal,,, then do a 100 round test like this as well. then a 200 round test. YOu will see if there is any issues with plating coming off,,, or whatever.

dilly
03-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Another thing to note is that Xtreme's website says 1500 FPS is their recommended maximum velocity. Velocity shouldn't be a problem in a regular 9mm.

Ausglock
03-02-2016, 10:13 PM
A lot of Extreme plated bullets are used in Australia for IPSC. There have been a lot of people having the copper plating getting cut by the rifling when fired and leaving huge leading issues in their barrels.
I have even seen shots on targets with like grey lead twist marks around the bullet holes.
These have been fired out of 9mm, 38 Super and 357Sig handguns at minor and major power factors

W.R.Buchanan
03-02-2016, 10:25 PM
I use the X-treme 165 gr .40's and 230gr .45's in my Glocks and they work flawlessly. Accuracy is acceptable for the guns usage.

The next .40's I buy will be Hollow Base as I want to see if I can get my Kel-Tec S2K to shoot better.

Randy

lonewolf5347
03-07-2016, 09:42 AM
I just tested a few more rounds in the Ruger sr9 ran a total of 25 rounds at 3.5 gr. B.E. powder @ 1.158 no problems seem to have a edge over .356 dia: bullets.
I will say no barrel leading at all.

Bonz
03-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I use the X-treme 165 gr .40's and 230gr .45's in my Glocks and they work flawlessly. Accuracy is acceptable for the guns usage.

The next .40's I buy will be Hollow Base as I want to see if I can get my Kel-Tec S2K to shoot better.

Randy

Was at the range a few days ago and one of the pistols that I was shooting was my Sig P239 .40 Had about 30 rounds of X-Treme 165gr HP and was able to group less than 2" at 30'. I had loaded up a bunch of X-Treme 165gr FP and was extremely disappointed, had a hard time at grouping less than 6". Hoping that it was just me because I just bought 3000 165gr FP from X-Treme.