PDA

View Full Version : checks on the ground

shortfal
02-29-2016, 01:05 AM
Shooting 125 gr 8MM linotype, HiTech coated, Hornady gas checked boolits out of my Sturmgewehr at the steel gongs at 100 yd. Chrono at 2000 fps.
Went out to paint the gongs and am finding checks on the ground right below the gongs.
Mostly looking like discs that are bullet dia. Just a few have remnants of the part that grips the boolit base.
These rounds are loaded with the checks below the neck/shoulder. No doubt they are staying with the boolit to impact. No sign of the lino. Thinking it's brittle enough that it is turning to lead dust at impact.
Having seen discussion as to whether checks starting out below the neck might not stay with the boolit, I can say that in my case at least they are staying on till impact.
Pete

Ben
02-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Are you concerned that the check is coming off the bullet upon impact ? ?

I'm not certain I understand your question ?

Spector
02-29-2016, 10:16 AM
I think he is glad he is finding the gas checks at the steel target indicating the checks made the trip with the boolit until they impacted the target.

Some have reported that when seating a boolit to a depth in the case that the gas check is below the neck into the shoulder area, and unsupported by the neck that they can come loose when the powder is ignited. If the check comes off the boolit before reaching the target many believe it leads to inconsistency and inaccuracy. Finding all those gas checks at the target indicates the checks are doing their job well even though unsupported at ignition.

He does not say whether the checks were applied prior to the HyTeck being applied or after.

I have tried both ways using powder coat and PB aluminum gas checks and prefer applying the check first and and then powder coating though I have found lots of gas checks lying below my steel targets at 25 yards using both methods............Mike

shortfal
03-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Are you concerned that the check is coming off the bullet upon impact ? ?

I'm not certain I understand your question ?

Not at all. No question, just commenting on the discussion re some guys concerned that checks might not make it out of the ctg. case or perhaps ending up in the barrel due the check starting out below the case neck. I think those hard boolits are turning to dust when impacting the steel gongs. That's fine with me as they are plenty accurate and hit the plates hard. Nothing left to see other than the little copper discs on the ground.
I'm HiTech coating before installing the checks.
My boolits appear to be totally disintegrating as they hit the plates.