PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel Question

BulletFactory
02-28-2016, 08:22 PM
I think this is the right place to post this, because I don't plan on running copper through this new barrel.

I'm sending the M1A in to Springfield Armory this week for a re-barrel. It hits a couple inches to the right at 100 yards.

To the point... I was wondering about breaking in the barrel. I use a .30 caliber mold from Accurate, the 30-170BG, it's gas checked, and powder coated. Powered by 30.1 gr. of H-4895.

I wasnt planning on running jacketed bullets due to their high cost. But, I have about 75 rounds loaded to the traditional 168gr SMK BTHP with 41.5 gr H-4895.

Should I run these through the barrel? How should I break in this rifle barrel properly?

wv109323
02-28-2016, 11:45 PM
I would run the jacketed rounds through the new barrel. I would clean it well and then start with the cast. The new barrel should last a long time with cast.

Frank46
02-29-2016, 01:39 AM
Shoot one and clean, do this for 10 rounds then shoot 5 and clean do this for 15 rounds, shoot 10 and clean. Then shoot all you want within reason. I did this with my sako 75 in 30-06. But still get copper in the barrel. But cleans easy and get excellent accuracy. Sako I have heard uses some really hard steel and that may be the cause of the continued fouling. Course it's got about 1100 rounds through it so far. Should be well broken in. Frank

upnorthwis
02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Are you sending it to SA because it hits a couple inches right or for another reason?

BulletFactory
02-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Yes. The front sight post is so far off, it looks weird.

It has an aftermarket barrel on it, And otherwise, I've completely gone through it. New op rod guide, sadlak spring guide, new springs throughout, polished trigger, yet retains 4-5lb pull. Glass bedded a new wood stock. Flash suppressor reamed, unitized gas cylinder, extended bolt release, new gas piston, extended mag release, this was a ground up restoration. Only thing I haven't changed is the op rod, the receiver, and the trigger group.