PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been here before.

John Taylor
02-28-2016, 05:27 PM
A refresher for us old guys and something every beginner should see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsBF6CXs18

johnson1942
02-29-2016, 11:51 AM
thanks john, thats a attention getter. years and years ago i watched a plane fly over my place and short started a cast bullet and had about 100 grains of pyrodex behind it. report sounded funny and even hit the target with a good shot at 75 yards. ringed the barrel at that point. it was a high quality custom made very hard stainless steel barrel 34 inches long. cut it off at 26 inches and recrowened it and shot six deer with it after that. was still a tackdriver and easier to carry. no bulge on the out side but it really ringed it. never have done that again, concentration is very very important when loading and i dont watch planes fly over when im loading anymore. thanks again.

Skypilot39b
02-29-2016, 12:43 PM
ALWAYS a good reminder!

Omnivore
03-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Geeze; 120 grains of smokeless magnum pistol/shotgun powder?!!
TWO 400+ grain bullets? I saw that as more of a wanton demolition of several perfectly good rifles than a lesson of any kind, but OK.

Skypilot39b
03-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Geeze; 120 grains of smokeless magnum pistol/shotgun powder?!!
TWO 400+ grain bullets? I saw that as more of a wanton demolition of several perfectly good rifles than a lesson of any kind, but OK.

However, while a heavy load a 120 grain BP load is not unheard of, so loading equivalent seems reasonable and a clear demonstration of the hazard. As for the bullets, I'm convinced that a MUCH smaller muzzle obstruction would have done the same thing, however loading a double of what the original was is also an accident that can happen, much like dropping a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge shotgun....