PDA

View Full Version : Gp10022

Kirk Miller
02-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I finally found a gp100-22. I'd been looking ever since I heard that they'd been announced. So far, it seems to be a shooter. After almost five hundred rounds I've had one failure to fire (which is still to much) but I'm hoping that the gun just needs breaking in.

After trying Fed. automatch, Win. sub. 40gr., CCI standard velocity, CCI minimag and CCI blazer, minimag and Win sub did the best. Now my question.I know that all rimfires have their own ammo preferences but out of all of mine, this is the only one that shoots a subsonic and hi-velocity equally well. The only thing that I can find in common with them, is that they are both at least 1.5 smaller in base diameter than the others. Is it possible that this revolver has "thread choke"?. And could it be restricting the passage of the larger based bullets? After shooting 22 rimfires for 30 yrs., I'm at a loss on this one. Anyone else ever run into this one.

Next problem or "gripe". Both this revolver and my Ruger match champion 357 mag. Have the big, bright, irritating neon green fiber optic front sights. Supposedly they are dovetailed for the novak sights but after Looking for several months, I have not been able to find a suitable partridge or ramped replacement. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and possible help.
Kirk

tazman
02-28-2016, 07:46 PM
This may be a redneck solution, but I would cover the rear of the front sight with something black that I could remove if I changed my mind. I am thinking magic marker, paint, or nail polish.
I think it is unlikely there is a thread choke situation with a bore that small.

Kirk Miller
02-29-2016, 12:27 AM
Tazman, your suggestion is a good one and I have already tried it on the match champion. Unfortunately, the big round blob is still there. If I can't find another sight, maybe I'll either take the fiber optic out or try shaving off the front of it.
Have a great week
Kirk

FergusonTO35
02-29-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm sure the GP-100 .22 is a great gun, but I really wish Ruger revolvers would quit growing bigger and bigger. All the half lug GP's are gone, only one fixed sight version remains. Even the LCR seems to be growing bigger.