PDA

View Full Version : 71/84 Mauser firing pin spring

upnorthwis
02-28-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm not having any success in the WTB section, will try here. I need two firing pin springs for 71/84 Mauser. Numrich is out and I don't think Paul and Wilhelm will be turning in a work order to make more.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
It would help if you have an original spring, even if broken or weakened, and can post the length, number of turns and thickness of wire here. There aren't that many sizes of spring that will fit the bolt and firing pin.

Failing that, look for compression springs made for forcing metal or plastic die-casting mould halves apart, on eBay or www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com) etc. There you should find them rated by dimensions, although seldom by power. Square wire springs put more impact into a given space than round wire. If your spring is just a little oversize for the bolt, you can impale it on a wooden dowel, and let it spin between your fingers against a grinding belt or wheel, to grind the wire D-shaped.

If you have to cut one that is overlength, try grinding the end flat, preferably with a slightly blunt grit and as fiercely as you can. (holding it on a wooden dowel will stop you burning your fingers.) The heat should anneal the last half-coil enough to make it lie flat against the next when compressed, and this reduce binding on the pin.

Remember the rule with coilsprings, that the longer the spring, the weaker, not stronger, a given amount of compression becomes. The way a long spring may seem stronger is if a preload is required to get it into the space. There ought to be some, to make sure that the firing-pin won't be pushed backwards after ignition, permitting the primer to rupture.

flounderman
02-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Brownells should have something if you know the size, inside and out.

enfield
03-01-2016, 10:04 PM
hardware store springs, even if you have to use 2 or 3, they work fine.

upnorthwis
03-02-2016, 11:26 AM
There's a gun show coming up. I'll take the bolt and firing along and see what I can get to fit. If that doesn't work, then I go to Fleet Farm.