PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot Maynards

Rimfire
02-28-2016, 10:26 AM
I just picked up a couple Maynards and was wondering if light smokless loads are OK or should BP only be used. Both are 1873's and are in 50-70 & 32-20. The 32-20 has the Hadley conversion for the thin rimmed case. Bores are nice and shiney and both are in great shape.

Greg
02-28-2016, 12:40 PM
please post pictures, lots of pictures

Green Frog
02-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I occasionally shoot my Model 1873 Maynard (with the really LARGE rims.). I make cases using 30 Govt (30 Krag) cases with rims added. While I've never shot the 50 cal round in the 1873 version, I shoot a repro 50 cal percussion model. I can get you the contact info for a guy who makes adaptor rings to make your cases you will need.

Froggie

Rimfire
02-28-2016, 01:29 PM

Rimfire
02-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Green Frog, I have 48 thick rim cases that came with the 50-70 so I am set there.

bob208
02-28-2016, 02:06 PM
quick answer black powder only. both guns were obsolete before smokeless became common.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-28-2016, 02:23 PM
I occasionally shoot my Model 1873 Maynard (with the really LARGE rims.). I make cases using 30 Govt (30 Krag) cases with rims added. While I've never shot the 50 cal round in the 1873 version, I shoot a repro 50 cal percussion model. I can get you the contact info for a guy who makes adaptor rings to make your cases you will need.

Froggie

That sounds like a far better solution than cases turned from solid brass, which would be expensive in that diameter, and are likely to be far less durable. John J. Connelly in "Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" says you can do the same with .450 Nitro Express for the ".50 Maynard 1865", but describes a 1.24in. case length which could hardly have been the .50-70. .348 Winchester brass would surely be cheaper if you can get it.

I don't doubt you could use smokeless powder if carefully - really carefully - worked up to equal black powder pressures. Donnelly gives 10gr. of IMR 4227 with a 450gr. bullet, and it is one of his own loads rather than taken from somewhere else. I wouldn't simply load up and fire away, but start from less and observe the result. The only reason to consider it is difficulty in obtaining black powder.

Green Frog
02-28-2016, 05:55 PM
Green Frog, I have 48 thick rim cases that came with the 50-70 so I am set there.

Those are a couple of sweet looking Maynards you have, rimfire. The tang sights add immeasurably to their utility. Is one and old Lyman and the other the standard Maynard with the slide carrying an aperture?

There are several standard and semi-custom bullets available in 50 cal that would probably work fine. The Ideal/Lyman moulds whose code is 519XXX are used in the 50 cal percussion guns so I would expect them to work well for your application as well. Also, Lee makes a limited number of 6-cavity moulds for the 50 cal Maynard, and several of the custom makers do as well. If you check in with the North-South Skirmish guys you should be able to find some precast to try and see if they work well for you. Sounds like you are good to go on loading the 50 if you have a set of regular 50-70 dies. I bought one of my shell holders for large heads from a friend in N-SSA and made the other one up specially to use on the old Red Head (small die) press. I use it for my 40-40. This reminds me... I've got to get busy and load up some 50 Carbine (percussion) rounds for the next Skirmish coming up this month!

That 32-20 with Hadley device sounds great... I've always had a soft spot for the 32-20, but have never had the opportunity to shoot it in a Maynard. :(

Ballistics in Scotland, my friend who makes the adaptor rings said the same thing... 348 Winchester makes a good donor case to make the thick rim 50-70s with his rings.

quick answer black powder only. both guns were obsolete before smokeless became common.

You got that right. Although some folks like to experiment with mild BP-equivalent loads of smokeless in their Maynards, I haven't been able to bring myself to do it... besides, the way the barrel comes all the way off at takedown, it's so easy to clean the BP fouling out anyway!

BTW bob208, you wouldn't be a member of N-SSA, would you? Maybe hang around on Vendors' Row a bit at Yeck's??

Froggie

Rimfire
02-29-2016, 04:37 PM
After reading some info on the strength of the Maynard by Ned Roberts, I think I will try loads listed for the 73 win. in 32-20.I will use only BP for the 50-70. I had a 73 (1885) that shot 4.2gr. unique quite well and no problems.
Green-Frog you are right on the tang sights one is a Lyman and the other is a Maynard tang sight. I shot in the N-SSA for over 25 years till I retired. May get back in one of these days.

Green Frog
02-29-2016, 05:26 PM
Rimfire, it sounds like you've got a plan! You might want to go over to the American Single Shot Rifle Association website, <www.ASSRA.com> and join in some of the Maynard discussions there... it's likely you will find a warm reception from those guys with those neat Maynards you bring to the table. I have been shooting my First Model Maynard (percussion) in 50 cal for about 4-5 years now, but got started @ N-SSA when I went to Vendors' Row to see Larry Romano about some parts for the first Maynard I owned, my Model 1873 in 40-40. I don't know how long it's been since you "retired" but the Maynards (original and repro) have been very popular on the carbine line since long before I got there.

Back to shooting my "made up" cartridges, they are made by cutting the donor 30-40 cases off at the junction between shoulder and neck. I then press the resistance fit rings into place then fire form with BP and toilet paper. Although I cut them to the proper length for 40-40, the modern cases give me a capacity of nearly 60 grains of 3Fg BP with just modest compression. Since there was a 40-70 case available in the same rifle, I figure this is a bonus, kinda like a "short magnum." :wink: The best part is that my set of 40-65 dies (Lyman 310) work perfectly to load them, so I've dedicated my old CC Johnson Red Head press as my Maynard reloading rig. I was doing some work with the famous SS mould maker, Barry Darr and he took my desired specs and some old catalog drawings of the 2 original Maynard bullet designs in 40 cal and cut me beautiful moulds for each. As some obscure rapper once said, "You can't touch dat!" :D

I've rambled on enough, Rimfire. If you would like to know about some of my Maynard sources, etc. Feel free to drop me a PM. You can find me on the ASSRA forum (also as Green Frog) or on the N-SSA board as RangerFrog.

Regards,
Froggie

bob208
02-29-2016, 05:37 PM
no not a member . but brad and bob vosburg got me into shooting black powder. they wanted me to shoot on their team. but I just could not swing the price of the uniform. then I had bob hoyt trying to get me to shoot with his team. I did make a bullet mold for their 3" ordnance gun.

.22-10-45
02-29-2016, 08:08 PM
All of the Maynard frames..even their later 1882 model were of Civil War manufacture.

Rimfire
03-01-2016, 08:18 AM
I did notice on both of these 73's, the lower tang is marked 1865.It makes sense that they would have had a surplus of frames when the war ended.

Green Frog
03-01-2016, 07:17 PM
I did notice on both of these 73's, the lower tang is marked 1865.It makes sense that they would have had a surplus of frames when the war ended.

By the time you get to the 1882s they may have so many markings they look like a modern Ruger... if you get bored, you can read your gun! ;)

carbine
03-06-2016, 09:43 AM
During the war the Model 2's and the Model 65's were being made side by side. My 2 cents