PDA

View Full Version : My vibratory dry PC idea

Drew P
02-28-2016, 02:54 AM
I've been trying to come up with a pc process that seems efficient and one art I wanted to improve was to eliminate spraying, and also avoid lots of shaking of small batches. I read about a guy who converted a 5 gal bucket and a harbor freight tumbler to vibe the dry powders in, and I had been on that track, and I have a HF tumbler. Looking around the house I found a tub from dish detergent things and it has the 5type plastic composition so I grabbed it. I was going to remove the vibrato drum and remount the detergent bin in its place but then it hit me, just screw it to the lid! So I drilled a 1/4" hole and used the factory stud screw to secure it.

Seems to to work great! I don't even have any air soft BBs.

Dragonheart
02-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Hi Drew,

I think you are referring to me as making a tumbler out of a 5 gallon painter's bucket and vibrator tumbler. Actually the tumbler is an old Midway small tumbler. I also built a second using a Lyman small tumbler, but I would think HF would work also as they all work on the same principle.
I found a smooth bottom round bucket works the best because in my setup I get the swirling action used in the shake and bake method. My tie downs balance the set up as well as reduce the aggressive action of the tumbler (see photo). I do like your idea and if it works it didn't take a lot of effort. Another benefit of the tumbler is if you have high humidity, it is easy to preheat your bullets and drop them in slowly into a running tumbler, which increased the adhesion of the powder, but don't over do it a 200 degree preheat is all that's needed.

Drew P
02-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Yep you're the one! Yeah I was all set to sacrifice my tumbler to set it up like yours, but what actually got in the way of that process was the drum on mine was not coming off easily so I just thought of this alternative. Despite the square shape on this bucket it does get the boolits swirling like mad. I'm still not totally sold on the process yet as my results aren't as good as some I've seen here, but I'm going to try some PBTP powder and preheat my product like you suggest and see if that helps. Thanks for the inspiration!

Dragonheart
02-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Drew: Your results will very quite a bit with your choice of powder. Probably the least expensive way to assure getting a good powder for tumble coating is just copy what others are doing and get a pound from Smoke.

I had difficulty removing the rod off the Lyman tumbler, but finally made it happen and replace the rod with a 1/4"x 20 screw & fender washer . If you are getting results you are happy with why go any futher? but if not, my tumblers work well, but considerable more work. Good luck with your project and if I can help, just ask.

bangerjim
02-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Do what works for you. I prefer using the estblished #5 container manual swirl for 15 seconds and and shake for 10 seconds. That is all it takes for me to do 75- 90 boolits at a time. I load up trays with 3-400 and bake. Large enough output for me and I would think most normal shooters on here.

But do what you feel you need to do if you think you need a much higher output. I do not have enough time in my very busy business schedule (NOT retired!) to shoot what I make now!!!!!!!

And my vibrator stays clean!

Good luck!

banger

shoot-n-lead
02-28-2016, 05:52 PM
And my vibrator stays clean!

banger

His does, too.

Walter Laich
03-03-2016, 10:52 PM
I've developed my system over a year or so. If something comes along I might see if it helps or not but I'm happy doing about 20 per tub, shaking like BangerJim and hemostating them on the parchment paper or silicone place mat.

I bake just over 100 per batch and by the time I PC the bullets it's time to pull the cooked ones out and add a new tray.

I am a happy camper right now

FWIW: I did learn that the bullets have to really cool down or the parchment paper will tear. Usually 15-20 minutes does the trick and they just fall off.