PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to do with guns but I want one of these.

jmorris
02-28-2016, 02:02 AM
As much as I want the eyes and reflexes to control it.

I have flown RC aircraft for decades but nothing like this thing. 366 MPH and he lands it, I would need a locator so I could find what parts were above ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTHWBSluUjU

Artful
02-28-2016, 02:26 AM
looks like the camera man was having some issues keeping up with it as well.

Then they put the camera on board one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK4pfXRtJ3o

M-Tecs
02-28-2016, 02:26 AM
I'm guessing that wasn't the first time he flew one of those. Very cool.

Artful
02-28-2016, 02:32 AM
Looks like they got into bigger toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-BPmNMfxSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRLp-pHT94

1.9 meter - I'm guessing wing span

aspangler
02-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Now you have to register them.

Outer Rondacker
02-28-2016, 07:33 AM
I need to put my FPV gear on one of these bad boys.

StuBach
02-28-2016, 08:49 AM
All I could think watching those videos was how cool. If I had one I'm sure it would make one hell of a crater when I lost control of it.

MrWolf
02-28-2016, 09:27 AM
In the first video, does the operator actually see the remote at all times or guesstimates at times? The larger remote could be seen but that first one...

MaryB
02-29-2016, 02:09 AM
Friend used to fly RC jets back in the early 80's... he was doing a low level pass when someone esle fired up on his transmitter frequency and the jet made a nice hole in a hanger door at the airport we flew from. Scratch $10k...

Artful
02-29-2016, 02:28 AM
Ouch - guess that's why the newer transmitters are not simple anymore.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-29-2016, 06:25 AM
The IRA in Northern Ireland used to detonate bombs with ordinary RC aircraft radio equipment, until the army took to sending out intermittent signals now and again, and inflicted the luck of the Irish on a few. I never heard that it caused disaster to any model aircraft enthusiasts, or indeed innocent audiences, but the potential was there. I suppose you have to prioritize.

Teddy (punchie)
02-29-2016, 07:56 AM
All I could think watching those videos was how cool. If I had one I'm sure it would make one hell of a crater when I lost control of it.

Sure was thinking the same thing.

Rick Hodges
02-29-2016, 09:23 AM
I know I could hit one of those damn windmills.....my RC planes have a special affinity for electric wires/polls and such. Even hit a wind vane in the landing pattern. Yep those windmills would be in jeopardy for sure.
The new rules forbid flight over 400' anywhere. So much for gliders. Much of that jets flight would be illegal here.

jmorris
02-29-2016, 10:33 AM
The new rules forbid flight over 400' anywhere. So much for gliders. Much of that jets flight would be illegal here.

Wow, 400 ft isn't much at all. Guess no more model rockets for kids.

dtknowles
02-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Wow, 400 ft isn't much at all. Guess no more model rockets for kids.

Model Rockets fly under different rules unless they have radio controls. Free rockets can fly to I think 6000 ft. without any special paperwork, above that you need to file a NOTAM and at some higher thresholds you need to get a waiver.

Tim

dilly
02-29-2016, 11:25 AM
RC planes are fun. I don't have the space, reflexes or eyes for the powerful fast ones. The small, very light, cheap ones have come down in price and up in quality a lot since I was a kid though, and I hope when my 18 month old boy gets a tad older we can have some fun with one of those. They are more my speed and budget, although the wind sure has its way with them.

smokeywolf
02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
I have 4 planes hanging in the garage. Smallest is about a 6 ft. wing and largest is 9 ft. wingspan. The biggest has a single cylinder, similar to a weed-wacker motor. Another is an inline 2 cylinder in an unfinished Fokker D.VII. Other two are horizontally opposed 2 cylinder.
Also have four RC boats (2 hydroplanes, 4 ft. Coast Guard Utility Boat, 4 ft. cabin cruiser) and a bare 5 or 6 foot (can't remember now) hull for an Elko Boat Works PT boat build.

flint45
02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Very cool they sound great.

dtknowles
02-29-2016, 09:58 PM
I have a Scratch (drew my one plans) built Gee Bee model D, a Cessna Birddog (built from plans) in Army CAS markings and a F6F HellCat (built from a kit), along with my camera plane and maybe 8 others including a rocket plane.

Tim

Artful
02-29-2016, 10:51 PM
maybe 8 others including a rocket plane.

Tim

So did you have to register all of those?

dtknowles
02-29-2016, 11:13 PM
So did you have to register all of those?

It is a single fee for all the planes you own, I have to mark them with my registration number before I fly them again. I think I have one that is light enough that I would not have to mark it. I dislike that our government is so repressive and intrusive and I will push back but on this, I will abide by the law and just raise my voice about the injustice.

Tim

jblee10
02-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Those are awesome. My thought went to multi engine replicas of Airliners or B52's, etc. Wouldn't be the high speed fun of the jet fighters, but would be pretty cool anyway.

MaryB
03-01-2016, 01:42 AM
Okay experts, I have been thinking of getting back into RC(did it years ago, had a Piper Cub with a 4' wing span) and am thinking an electric glider. Motor to altitude then thermal off the air coming off the fields around me. I have the space to take off in my yard no problem(could do a 170 foot runway!) and I like the larger planes because they are easier to see with my bad eyes! Any kit suggestions? Wouldn't mind building a balsa model...

Artful
03-01-2016, 01:56 AM
Those are awesome. My thought went to multi engine replicas of Airliners or B52's, etc. Wouldn't be the high speed fun of the jet fighters, but would be pretty cool anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1GKaMPhiek

Artful
03-01-2016, 02:00 AM
Wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe7cPLJxagY

smokeywolf
03-01-2016, 04:12 AM
Mary, if I had your space, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8 ft. wing; 10 ft. would be better. Enough motor and enough battery to get it up to at least 1,500 ft. above ground. With the advances in electric motors and LiPo batteries you should have lots of choices.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-01-2016, 05:20 AM

A model jet engine has to be a much simpler installation than a full-size one, and the aircraft you mention can have a crew member occupied solely with engine management if the need arises. We have seen that it isn't difficult to get a tremendous amount of power from them. but multiple engine aircraft demand equal amounts of power.

jmorris
03-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Artful, your link reminded me of the B29 that dropped a rocket powered X1.

Found the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih7ltp3gVWM

dtknowles
03-01-2016, 11:51 AM

I know a guy who built a model of the DC-10 with two jet engines and put a camera in the center engine nacelle.

Tim

dtknowles
03-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Okay experts, I have been thinking of getting back into RC(did it years ago, had a Piper Cub with a 4' wing span) and am thinking an electric glider. Motor to altitude then thermal off the air coming off the fields around me. I have the space to take off in my yard no problem(could do a 170 foot runway!) and I like the larger planes because they are easier to see with my bad eyes! Any kit suggestions? Wouldn't mind building a balsa model...

I hand launch my motor glider, wheels add drag, use a geared motor with large folding prop. The long runway does help with the belly landing as the glider has a shallow glide slope unless you have flaps or spoilers. Simple stick built planes with monokote work fine.

Tim

MaryB
03-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Well considering I need to relearn to fly... smaller to start! 6 foot would be about right

Mary, if I had your space, I wouldn't settle for anything less than an 8 ft. wing; 10 ft. would be better. Enough motor and enough battery to get it up to at least 1,500 ft. above ground. With the advances in electric motors and LiPo batteries you should have lots of choices.

RG1911
03-03-2016, 12:25 PM
I just registered with the FAA. You don't need to register each toy; but you're supposed to put your registration number on each one.

To the best of my knowledge, it's another case of a few idiots, who were not Academy of Model Aviation members, doing stupid things and posting the results, that caused the government to penalize everyone. Typical government response.

And, when you get right down to it, it's yet another unenforceable regulation. It would simply be another charge added if a person were caught doing something dumb.

Richard

BwBrown
03-05-2016, 01:18 AM
To the best of my knowledge, it's another case of a few idiots, who were not Academy of Model Aviation members, doing stupid things and posting the results, that caused the government to penalize everyone.
Richard

Back in the day (mid 70's - mid 80's) it was mostly about registration and identification.

There always was an altitude restriction in proximity to an airport. That was more for the rocket guys. Besides, seeing a model clearly enough to actually control it gets tough at those heights.
The Academy of Model Aviation (AMA) was little more than a magazine subscription and an ID number that was to be displayed in/on each model. I actually lost a plane due to low receiver battery charge, it was returned more than a year later when a hunter found it with its id inside.

I had a friend who nearly killed himself - came in hot for a landing, metal nosed prop spinner on a scale P51, zigged when he should have zagged - bored an awesome hole in his belly - LONG recovery!

The FCC does the radio regulation, i/e. channels, frequencies, etc. - important in a crowded spectrum, got pushed around a bit by other uses like cell phones, baby monitors. My initial foray into Amateur Radio was the quest for better radio control. That never materialized, but now I talk around the world.
Long since sold the planes, but still have a half dozen model helicopters. Talk about an expensive "hard landing!"
kc3cgq

MTSWAGER
03-06-2016, 01:53 AM
AHH reading this and looking at the vids make me miss my raptors!!! Had a lot of fun with them.

stag15
03-17-2016, 10:12 PM
That's the coolest video I've seen in a while! My adventure into RC planes ended in a pile of match stick size balsa.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-17-2016, 11:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W170zszmkWk

This guy knows how to fly an RC helicopter LOL.