PDA

View Full Version : Wwii h4895?

tbx-4
02-28-2016, 01:37 AM
A friend of mine told me he had some sealed containers of IMR4895 from WWII. Wanted to know if I wanted some.

If it this has been stored in a cool dry place it should be good to go, right?

fast ronnie
02-28-2016, 02:07 AM
I hope I don't get thrown out just because of old age! I have several cans of powder that are at least 30 years old because that's when I bought them. I have some others that I know are older than that and have yet to have any of them deteriorate. It all depends on how it has been stored. Look at the powder and smell it. If it looks rusty and powdery, it is probably questionable. Bad powder also smells that way; that is, it smells spoiled. If you don't get some, maybe I could be his new best friend?????

ReloaderFred
02-28-2016, 03:35 AM
There wasn't any H-4895 during World War II. It was all IMR 4895. Bruce Hodgdon got into the powder business buying surplus WW II powders and repackaging them. He listed it in the repackaged containers as Hodgdon, but it was made by Dupont. The first powder he sold to the public was 4895, and the second was IMR 4831. Both were sold in paper roll top bags which contained one pound of powder. Coffee beans were sold in the same paper bags, which is where he got the idea.

Hope this helps.

Fred

tbx-4
02-28-2016, 03:40 AM
Fred,
You are correct, IMR4895. I corrected that.

Thanks

mfraser264
02-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Having a few sealed and then opened over time 20 count boxes of M2 ball from 1942 out of the tin containers they were packed in, I have had NO issues with the powder. I have had this ammunition for 25 years and feel good knowing it will be usable for many more years. When you open the containers look for a rust colored dust that is acidic in smell. If you encounter this the powder is no longer good. Sounds like you have supply of a widely used rifle powder, enjoy. Heat and humidity are not powder friendly.

MapleHill
02-29-2016, 09:23 AM
I have some 4895 and 4831 surplus. When I called Hodgdon regarding this they told me to use the "H" data for it as opposed to IMR. I have loaded and shot quite a bunch of it without issue. The H version is a tad quicker burn than the IMR, thus maybe why they recommend using the H data?

sundog
02-29-2016, 10:14 AM
It all depends. A few days ago I had to dispose of ~3#s of N120 that was 12+ years old. It had been stored properly and used occasionally from an 8# jug over that time. It just went bad all of a sudden. Extremely strong ammonia fumes. The plastic cap was slightly bleached, also. It does happen.

Scooby
02-29-2016, 09:26 PM
I have loaded with pull down and surplus powders for over 20 years. One thing an old timer told me about older or surplus powder is that it can contain less moisture sense it is older. So if you were to weigh out some old 4895 and some new 4895 the older powder will take up more room in the case do to less moisture content. The old timer that told me this said to start low and work up as with any powder. I once scored 5 or 6 of the "coffee" bags of powder someone gave me to either use or throw in fire. I checked it loaded a few in 06 shot them and loaded and shot the rest of it. So if it looks and smells good I would try it at min load and see how it shoots. just my .02

leadman
03-05-2016, 04:56 AM
I have WWII 4831 that is still good. Get it and if it is not sticky or has an overly strong smell load some and try it.

Shiloh
03-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Stored correctly it would still be good. Check for signs of deterioration. Reddish fumes or "Rust" in the powder means it's gone bad.
Cool, dry, consistent?? It could be good to go.
Other than those containers stored away, this powder was shot up decades ago.

Shiloh