PDA

View Full Version : Whazit?

Der Gebirgsjager
02-27-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm thinking someone will be able to identify these. No, I honestly don't know what they are--or I wouldn't be asking!

Some clues: They were picked up along with some other more conventional range brass on a Navy small arms range about 30 years ago. The Air Force also had access to the range.

They appear to have some association with the .38 Special round, as the cases are about the same length, perhaps 1/8
inch shorter. They fit nicely into a .38 cylinder.

They are brass, have no head stamp or other markings. The part that fits inside the case--I guess we could call it the
projectile (?) which looks like a plunger has a seal/ring just below its head and won't completely enter the case and
appears to be meant to sit just above the mouth. The primer hole seems to be a standard small pistol size, but when
these were found lying loose among the other brass none had primers. Inside the cases, about 2/3 down, the diameter
reduces to the size of the projectile's shaft, and the shaft is also a close fit to the primer pocket, but does not extend
all the way down to the pocket. The pocket is the diameter of the shaft all the way through the case head, so it appears
like the projectile is meant to be propelled by a primer only. Perhaps the projectile is actually a plunger and itself strikes
something and propels or fires it in turn? The cases are very dirty and sooty.

Any ideas?

DG

2ndAmendmentNut
02-28-2016, 12:04 AM
No clue what that is but I'll take a guess. Special rounds for detonating a grenade or flare?

I know I have seen clamp on attachments for revolvers that allowed them to fire a single smoke grenade or flare...

Frank46
02-28-2016, 12:21 AM
There was some experimentation at one time using what was called a captive piston. Supposedly the powder charge was put in first then sealed off and the piston put in. Now if I remember right when fired the powder ignited, the sealed section of the case pushed the piston forward and launched the bullet. And was supposedly developed for the tunnel rats that had to go into the tunnels after the vc. Was not supposed to make much noise when fired. Though my memory is a little hazy on this one. Maybe this is what you found?. Frank

Mk42gunner
02-28-2016, 12:40 AM
My guess is some sort of CAD or squib for use in aircraft armament. Perhaps one of our members that was an AO (if they'll admit it) can tell us.

Robert

2ndAmendmentNut
02-29-2016, 12:08 AM
There was some experimentation at one time using what was called a captive piston. Supposedly the powder charge was put in first then sealed off and the piston put in. Now if I remember right when fired the powder ignited, the sealed section of the case pushed the piston forward and launched the bullet. And was supposedly developed for the tunnel rats that had to go into the tunnels after the vc. Was not supposed to make much noise when fired. Though my memory is a little hazy on this one. Maybe this is what you found?. Frank

I think you might be onto something. This is an image I found when I search captive piston ammo.