PDA

View Full Version : mixing stuff up for a 158 38/357 ruger cast

49FMarlin
02-27-2016, 05:12 PM
I've been casting for a 45-70 BP so I've got a lot of melted down flashing lead, i can add to it (100pds)
its been awhile since i cast for my 30-30 and I'm brain dead,

so i was digging around and i have this on hand,

5 pounds of .44 boolits with a 10BHN that i don't use,and can melt down
2.5 pounds of COWW with 2%tin
1 pound of lyman #2
1 pound of tin

out of this what can i mix up to get the larges bullet count to shoot out of my security six 38/357 using the 158GR mold,

can i just dump it all in the pot with a 50/50-lead mix
except the tin and go for it?

any help making up a mixture appreciated to get me casting

Mica_Hiebert
02-27-2016, 08:02 PM
If you stick with proper fit bullets with 38 special velocity you can probly get awY with fairly soft alloy

gwpercle
02-27-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm probably the least scientific caster on the planet and more than likely the following is wrong. But if I had :

5 lbs. 10 bhn boolits
2.5 lbs COWW w / 2 % tin
1 lb. Lyman # 2
1 lb. tin

All of the above equals 9.5 pounds . I would mix it with 10.5 pounds of lead flashing and go with it.

I discovered by accident that softer boolits , that fit the bore properly actually work better than those rock hard cast commercial boolits. COWW and lead at 50 /50 mix was just as accurate and stretched my COWW supply . Another trick is to use a gas check boolit with the 357 magnum. The GC may not be absolutely necessary, but they have never caused any leading in my guns.
I had a gas checked 9 mm luger mould made so I could try loading softer boolits in the 9 mm at 1200 fps. Working up some loads right now.
Gary

rancher1913
02-27-2016, 10:30 PM
if thats all you have to work with and want maximum amount of boolits, melt it all together and cast away then pc and shoot away. might be heavy on the tin but it would work and after powder coat you won't need to worry what the hardness because it will be close enough.

jsizemore
02-28-2016, 10:06 AM
Set the lb of tin to the side. If you want high velocity 357, then add a lb of soft lead to the remaining inventory (to cut the #2) and you'll be equal to COWW + 2% tin alloy. If you want middle of the road to slow velocity, then cut it with an equal amount of soft lead and have fun. If your fillout isn't good then the tin is your savior. Add 1/4 lb at a time until your happy. Should be a tight fit in a 20lb bottom pour.