PDA

View Full Version : cast in rifles

milltownhunter
02-27-2016, 10:43 AM
I never load a high vel. rifle how fast can you push a cast gas check bullet before leading rcbs list some cast bullets close to jacket vel.

Lead Fred
02-27-2016, 12:18 PM
With the right lube, (White lubes RED) Ive sent a cast Ranch Dog 170gr gas checked boolit @2710fps.
Tried it once, still have the lube in a separate pan if I ever want to do it again.
We fired 5 rounds thru the chrony and 3 into a target. The 30-06 barrel showed zero signs of leading

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=11

Scharfschuetze
02-27-2016, 09:56 PM
While I've never had the urge to supercharge my cast boolit loads, I've fired Larry Gibson's high velocity cast boolit loads at 2,700 fps out of a 308 Winchester. Accuracy at 300 yards was as good as most jacketed loads and even after 20 rounds, there was no hint of leading. As I recall his rifle had a 1 in 14" rifling twist.

So what's the answer? A slower than normal rifling pitch is a huge help as well as Linotype alloy with a good lube and gas checks. If Larry were still here, I'm sure that he'd chime in with the details of his technique.

Hannibal
02-27-2016, 10:05 PM
May I suggest you search the 30 XCB threads? There is a bit of . . . .superfluous information to wade thru, but you will find everything you need to know to do it 'one way' therein. The other way? Well, . . . .that's a bit more complicated, it seems.

Wolfer
02-27-2016, 10:36 PM
I don't know about leading. I always seem to lose accuracy before I start leading.
For the 9 rifles I shoot cast in accuracy will start falling off somewhere before 2000 fps

Outer Rondacker
02-27-2016, 11:24 PM
I shoot them fast enough to kill deer. How fast is that no clue dont own a chronograph. I will say I push some fast. Modern day rifling for some reason does not lead as much as old school stuff. Oh wait that could be something to do with knowing how to size a bullet better now then I did back then. I would like to ask what your goal is. For example I can find a sweat spot on any bullet to gun combo but once I push it past its sweat spot it is just that. FAST. Accuracy is out the window. Set a goal and see if you can get there and still hit what you are aiming for. Good luck.

runfiverun
02-28-2016, 08:59 AM
it's not the leading you gotta worry about.

Hannibal:
the XCB project was started by the fast twist crowd [to see just what it took to overcome the theories]
it become twisted by the twist crowd.
point the fingers in the right direction.

Scharfschuetze
02-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Post deleted.

Hannibal
02-28-2016, 10:29 PM
it's not the leading you gotta worry about.

Hannibal:
the XCB project was started by the fast twist crowd [to see just what it took to overcome the theories]
it become twisted by the twist crowd.
point the fingers in the right direction.

It was not my intent to 'point fingers' in any direction. Simply trying to give the simplest answer to the OPs question.

Bjornb
02-29-2016, 04:46 PM
the XCB project was started by the fast twist crowd

Be that as it may, the XCB project was moved forward and finally brought to fruition by a totally different crowd. To the tune of a quarter million views spread over half a dozen threads..........there must have been some truth to the slow twist concept......

MT Chambers
03-02-2016, 09:15 PM
In my experience, accuracy falls off before you reach anywhere near top velocities. I also find that as bore size goes up you can approach j-word speeds and still get decent accuracy.