PDA

View Full Version : Scopekiller Paroled!

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 12:28 AM
I have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem that hates scopes, or more accurately loves to kill them. [smilie=l: She was fine for a couple of years, awesome little CB hunting rifle with a decent Simmons scope on it. One day during pre-season sight-in things got a little weird and it had to miss a few hunting trips while I sorted it out. Verdict finally came in; broken scope.:sad: I decided to try one of the new Redfield scopes on it, broke soon after sighting it in. My friends in Oregon fixed it, Scopekiller broke it again. My friends in Oregon replaced it. Scopekiller broke the new scope and they fixed it again. While it was gone I decided to try one of the new Weaver mid-sized scopes. Scopekiller hasn't killed this one...yet. Hunting season is over and project season is under way. I found some brass near the top of the pile and some boolits weren't too hard to find. I loaded up two proven loads and another load from a certain banned member using some RCBS 35-200's from another member.
I've tried dozens of things, finally determined she just likes breaking scopes so I named her Scopekiller. Since she's also quite fond of killing deer and hogs I decided to give her another chance. I'm not so sure I can trust her, tho. An 1895 Marlin in 45-70 joined the stable a few weeks back and spent some time next to her in the safe. I put a Leupold VX-3 on the new kid, broke on the (second or) third range trip. I don't think my friends in Oregon were especially glad to hear from me again but they're good folks and apparently pretty good-humored about my feisty little leverguns.
In case you're wondering I use Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings on these and almost every other rifle I depend on and I know how to mount a scope. Just getting more practice than I like sometimes.
Wish me luck, I'm going to take Scopekiller out Sunday. I hope she behaves. :bigsmyl2:

HangFireW8
02-27-2016, 12:43 AM
Scope destruction on things less than elephant rifles are usually from one of two things, flex of the gun between the two rings, and/or the mount assembly moving. Both of these can be hard to diagnose because the amount of movement of either can be very small. In both cases, moving to a one-piece mount can help. Making sure that mount has a hard stop that is not some tiny mount screw ill-designed for that purpose also helps, however that stop needs to prevent forward movement, as the gun is moving to the rear under recoil, trying the leave the scope, rings, and mount(s) behind.

Scope selection can also help. Quality designed and made, small objective, fixed power scopes have a much better chance than cheap super zoom monster scopes.

Frank46
02-27-2016, 12:58 AM
Have a JM marlin in 444 that used to shoot very well with RP factory ammo and had a small bushnell 1x5 scope on it. Great at 100 yds. Had it mounted for years and was fun to shoot. One day started getting changes in both windage and elevation I could not account for. When I got home and took the scope off you could hear that something had broken inside and rattelled when you shook it. That was the only scope that I have had that "broke" and only with factory ammo no handloads. Frank

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 02:34 AM
Must admit have a near twin to that troubled Redfield scope on another rifle, doing just fine! I had one VX-3 scope a year or two ago that was bad out of the box but the latest casualty was probably my fault. It didn't have enough elevation adjustment and I probably fired it when it was at it's upper limit. I shimmed the base and fired it again without backing it off. I'm afraid a handful of stiff 45-70 loads was more than it could stand in that condition.
I honestly don't have a clue why Scopekiller trashed that Simmons scope or the Redfield scopes but I think Leupold had a problem with that model. When it came back last time the mechanicals felt different.
I agree about the small objectives and fixed power scopes, HFW8. My 45-70 Guide Gun has a low-powered VX-3 scope and one of my latest is a fixed-power Weaver. I went thru my share of cheap scopes before I learned I could afford better but this rifle is a bit unusual. The original scope wasn't new when I mounted it but it was clear and worked well for a couple of years. I've had other scopes cloud up or quit adjusting but this failure was a bit odd. The Redfield failures were pretty much immediate but as mentioned it was a new model that apparently had a bug or two.
Let me be clear; it's not my intention to bash Leupold (or even Simmons) here. There may be better out there but Leupold has earned my trust and repeat business. I own quite a few of their products and my next scope will likely be a VX-3. Matter of fact I picked out my most recent one before the rifle happened along, will likely do so again with the sales Midway and Natchez are running.
It's just that it's odd how this one little rifle has managed to damage good scopes over and over again. It's also quite encouraging that Leupold has repaired or replaced every scope that has failed for me. I did talk to a technician at one point to help them determine what may have happened but they have stood behind their product 100%. I'll continue to buy and recommend Leupold scopes.

Ola
02-27-2016, 04:47 AM
Interesting story. Sounds like you need more durable scopes..

Are you familiar with Meopta (http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/) scopes? Meopta is originally from Czech Republic but it has a US production facility too.
The quality is good but price is reasonable (compared to the REALLY HIGH QUALITY scopes from Germany and Austria).

Hickok
02-27-2016, 10:47 AM
TX, have you ever tried lapping your scope rings? I have a JM Marlin 45/70 with an older Burris straight tube 4x on it that has survived a lot of 400 gr cast loads and jacketed in the 1400-1500fps area. I lapped my rings. The scope sits down nice and comfy in the rings, no bend or torgue to the scope tube.

Coincidentally, I just removed that scope yesterday, and am going to put a receiver/peep sight on rifle.

I have never had a scope fail when used in rings that have been properly lapped in. It can be eye-opening as to how much "out of sync" the two rings can be, as the lapping will show it very quickly.

LIMPINGJ
02-27-2016, 10:54 AM
TX you may have to go old school with that little beast and hunt up an all steel Lyman or Redfield receiver sight.

fryboy
02-27-2016, 11:13 AM
I got a scope killer ....good scopes,cheap scopes it doesn't care,lapped steel rings epoxied mounts etc ...the longest lasting scope so far ? A old old Weaver k4 ...made it almost through 2 boxes of factory ammo ....after 7 scopes ...it's staying with iron sights lolz ( don't have much big hard to kill game around here anyways )

Lead Fred
02-27-2016, 12:06 PM
SWFA's SS scope line, no one has been able to break one yet.

We have them mounted on 30-06s, 300 win mags and a 45/70.

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 12:50 PM
Haven't had to lap a set of rings in years, Hickok. Last several I just tighten them down to the base and ease the scope into place. Then I check the fit with a strong light. Must be making rings & bases better these days because every set appears to be near perfect. I could probably improve it a bit with lapping but not sure it would help. I have considered it, tho. I don't have access to a lapping setup anymore but haven't needed it for awhile.
Scopekiller has gotten a little finicky about loads lately while killing all those scopes so I ran my bore scope thru her this morning, no issues there. Should be an interesting range trip, tempted to take a spare scope, lol. This rifle is pretty awesome when everything is working, will be nice to get it back online.

dualsport
02-27-2016, 01:06 PM
I think the nickname should be yours, not the gun's. Something like "unlucky with scopes"! Seriously, you have had a bad run. I've had $25 scopes survive on an H&R single shot 45-70 and .444. Not that I'd trust them to go hunt bears. If you can live with a fixed 10X, Bushnell makes one with a mildot reticle that is bomb proof. They put them on Barret 50s. Also, Simmons will stand behind anything with their name on it. Break it, they'll replace it. Ask me how I know. When it comes down to it I'll take a Leopold any day.

osteodoc08
02-27-2016, 02:15 PM
All my Burris scopes have held up well on my 338 win mag, 45/70 guide gun, 454 Casull, 41 mag and 45 colt RedHawks.

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 04:39 PM
I think the nickname should be yours, not the gun's. Something like "unlucky with scopes"! Seriously, you have had a bad run. I've had $25 scopes survive on an H&R single shot 45-70 and .444. Not that I'd trust them to go hunt bears. If you can live with a fixed 10X, Bushnell makes one with a mildot reticle that is bomb proof. They put them on Barret 50s. Also, Simmons will stand behind anything with their name on it. Break it, they'll replace it. Ask me how I know. When it comes down to it I'll take a Leopold any day.

Several good points, I may be due some blame here but only for the latest scope on the 45-70, IMHO. I could be wrong, of course. I've actually had pretty good luck over the years with almost all my scopes, cheap, somewhat expensive and several in between. I don't go above the VX-3 price point but I don't want to put them on everything. I have several VX-3's and a VX-2 and think they're great scopes, great values and a great warranty to back them up. I really like the new Weavers and I think the Redfield Revolution should be a good scope, my experiences aside. I know that good glass has made it to all but the lowest price points, stepping up a few rungs gets you better coatings and mechanicals. Could be something about the harmonics of this rifle that the mechanicals of certain scopes find disagreeable.
I dunno what's going on but I hate it when a favorite hunting rifle is sidelined.

W.R.Buchanan
02-28-2016, 04:34 PM
I have only heard of High power Air guns destroying scopes at such a blinding rate. My VX3 1-5x came off a .416 Rigby with over 100 rounds thru it. I have had it on two different guns with hundreds of rounds fired. It is still perfect.

I could understand the Simmons Scope dying but not the Redfield and certainly not the Leupold.

Maybe those guns should have Peep Sights on them.

I'll get you into them one way or another ! :bigsmyl2:

Randy

dverna
02-28-2016, 06:29 PM
It is why I stopped purchasing "cheap" scopes. Almost anything under $300 is not made to last with constant hard use. Look at the Votex scopes. Lifetime warranty

fastdadio
02-28-2016, 07:59 PM
Who's mounting these scopes? I bet they're being over torqued either at the rings or the mounts are being tightened down out of alignment and then the scope tightened into them. Scope tube bodys are thin and can easily be flexed out of shape causing internal damage. Proper fitting rings don't have to be very tight at all and still hold the scope secure even under the heaviest of recoil.

Shawlerbrook
02-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Definitely sounds like a mount problem. I have a few "cheap" scopes and the only difference I see is optical clarity is not as good as more expensive glass. But what you describe is why I prefer Leupold and the lifetime guarantee.

flounderman
02-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Put an old ElPaso fixed power on it, like a K 4.

TXGunNut
02-28-2016, 09:55 PM
No, not a mount problem. Weaver one-piece base and Burris Zee rings. And yes, I know what I'm doing when I mount a scope. I was taught by a guy who mounted hundreds, probably thousands of scopes and I have fixed more than a few bad jobs by hack "gun store gunsmiths" over the years.
Sopekiller did fine today with the new Weaver scope, still doesn't like it's old standby load but it really likes a couple of LVR loads. It also likes a clone of an RCBS 35-200 boolit that a certain enabler sent me awhile back. ;-)

Geezer in NH
02-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Nothing like turning a front ring on a Redfield style 1 piece mount using the scope!!! That will help sope life I bet. Not!

TXGunNut
02-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Nothing like turning a front ring on a Redfield style 1 piece mount using the scope!!! That will help sope life I bet. Not!

Somewhere, somebody is doing that right now, lol. Not a big fan of Redfield mounts. Had one long ago, never again. Look pretty cool, though.

35 shooter
03-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Good to hear ol "scope killer" may like the weaver and the rcbs clone boolit.That little 200 gr. boolit is one of my favorites in the whelen.

Don't feel alone on the scope thing. As you may remember "ol contrary" killed 2 new american made redfields in 2 months last year.
I really hated it too as they have very clear glass and i liked the ranging circle reticle, which is exactly why i bought one.

I'm sure they will get the problems ironed out with them(probably already have), but in the meantime i went back to leupold....no more problems.

TXGunNut
03-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Yes, you and I aren't the only folks who had to send Redfields back for repair, another member sent two back and sold the replacements IIRC. I have every confidence Leupold will get it right someday but they sure had me scratching my head for awhile. I have one on my loaner rifle and it seems to be working great. Anyone who borrows it will have to shoot it first so any issues should come up then. I'll mount the repaired scope on something someday, may be another Marlin but I think it will do just fine.
I've had minor issues with Leupold recently as well, neither had enough elevation adjustment. I don't mind shimming a one-piece mount (much) but won't do it with a two-piece.

35 shooter
03-02-2016, 12:43 AM
TX.

May or may not be of interest to you, but i googled SWFA scopes a while back and am very impressed with what i found out about them.

The history on them is very interesting. I think everything they make is rated ok for 50 cal. Even their set power scopes all have rear adj. parallax.
The elevation capability is what really got my attention about them.

reivertom
03-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Just wondering TXGunNut, when you miss or pull a shot, do you ever throw the gun down a stomp on it?.....could it be........I mean we all have our breaking points... :^)

TXGunNut
03-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Just wondering TXGunNut, when you miss or pull a shot, do you ever throw the gun down a stomp on it?.....could it be........I mean we all have our breaking points... :^)

Nope, when the loose nut behind the butt blows a shot, he gets all the blame. Happens more often than I want to talk about but nobody gets hurt and no equipment is mistreated. When everything goes especially well I brag on my equipment and ammo because goodness knows I'm not that great a rifle shot.

bdicki
03-02-2016, 10:51 PM
http://www.kokopelliproducts.com/points072197.jpg

dualsport
03-04-2016, 03:14 PM
OUCH! Well, I'm smarter now.

TXGunNut
03-04-2016, 10:28 PM
OUCH! Well, I'm smarter now.

Short piece of broomstick works better but I hear they actually make a tool for it, lol. I've even seen folks lapping the bottom of the Redfield ring into the base. You haven't lived 'til you try a set of rings where the screws come up from the bottom. Different strokes, I guess.
Taking Scopekiller out again this weekend, need to tweak that new load she likes. Still haven't figured out why she doesn't like the old standard load anymore. She's a contrary cuss, but when she's good, she's really good.

TXGunNut
03-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Scopekiller decided she likes the new load and more importantly she's OK with the new Weaver scope. I've heard they were pretty tough. It's lasted thru over 100 rounds of load development and still hanging in there. All three Redfield scope failures happened 20-30 rounds in. Cartridge necks are getting a little hard (been reloading same 30 pieces) so time for some new brass and a trip to the 100 yd line to fine-tune things a bit. Other rifle I was working with today wears a new 6X Weaver and it's doing well also.
Think I'll still call her Scopekiller. I don't think she's really earned it but hopefully she won't mind. ;-)

FergusonTO35
03-08-2016, 02:52 PM
FYI, if you ever wan to try different mounts I heartily endorse the one piece Burris turn in mount. Have one on my Glenfield 30 with a little 1.5-4.5x20 Swift and it is rock solid. That cheap little rifle will embarrass a lot of bolt guns on the range, I give the excellent base and rings much of the credit.

TXGunNut
03-08-2016, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty much stuck on Weaver mounts and Burris Z-Rings. I had some turn in mounts many moons ago but never liked them. Looked great but a PITA to get things working right. Nothing wrong with a Glenfield, nothing at all. There's a reason why most we see these days are very well worn; they work! Scopekiller is actually a pretty accurate rifle, not quite on a level with my Guide Gun or possibly my latest 1895 but certainly no slouch-just like most Marlins. Feel pretty sure I can get her back under 2 MOA pretty soon.

CPL Lou
03-16-2016, 03:13 AM
I never killed a scope in 30 years, then I started using a lead sled.
When I first started using the lead sled, I had 50 pounds of lead on it for shooting my in-line muzzle loaders.
Killed a Nikon with the first 40 shots (100grs BH 209, 300gr sabot bullet).
The next scope was a Redfield on a lightweight 30-06 using 150 grain Noslers and IMR 4064.
I took the extra weight off after the 2nd destroyed scope.
Haven't had a dead scope since, even my Ruger #1 45-70 loaded for elephant has been okay.
BTW, both scopes were fixed under warranty without any hassles.

CPL Lou

tenx
03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
i have 3 marlins (one a 35 rem) and they all have ultra dots on them. if an ultra dot can survive for years mounted on a 1911 bullseye gun slide with no problems, a ride on a rifle should be a walk in the park.

northmn
03-29-2016, 12:58 PM
I had a Bushnell a few years ago that could not be used. It would not hold zero. Mostly the inexpensive scopes have not had the best clarity and that sort of thing. Had one old Tasco that you could hardly see through towards twilight. Fell out of tree climbing it and landed on an old Weaver 2.5 scope, got back into the tree and shot a smaller buck at 280 steps from the tree.
You can get all kinds of advice on this, but I kind of baby my scopes and carry the rifles in hard cases with padding during transport and use iron sights on my tractor/4 Wheeler guns. For serious deer hunting I want a scope.

DP

TXGunNut
03-31-2016, 12:34 AM
I like scopes for low-light conditions, confidence on long (for me) shots and for closely scrutinizing antlers and such. For most hunting situations I want a scoped rifle in hand, or at least nearby. Still need to do some final load (and scope) testing but every time I get to the club it's too windy for any serious rifle shooting.
Careful with those lead sleds, CPL Lou! I've heard it's pretty easy to break a wood stock in one of those with a heavy load. I've found an upright shooting position and a PAST pad make most of my "thumpers" tolerable.

TXGunNut
04-03-2016, 06:44 PM
I can't believe it, I truly can't. After about 40 rounds Scopekiller finally killed my new Weaver scope. :holysheep Had a nice group going, a bit wind-blown and 3" low. One was about 7" low but didn't see it until later. Went up 6 clicks (ignore the 1/4 minute rumor) and the rounds stayed in the same group. Went up another 6 clicks and first shot went into that same low group, second 5" higher. Next three went back into the earlier group. Went up another 6 clicks and the next 5 rounds went into a decent group at point of aim. Decided to try it again, first round went goodness knows where. Next three went into a decent group but the 5th round hit over 4" low. I'm getting better at scope anatomy, pretty sure something called an erector is broken. If you're keeping score at home this makes five scopes broken by Scopekiller. Some day this will all seem funny but today's not the day. :-(
My Savage shot quite well with it's new Weaver 6X scope. I forgot my 45-70 ammo so it will have to wait for another day.

35 shooter
04-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Unbelievable....wow. Peep sight and forget it for that one?

W.R.Buchanan
04-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Lyman 66LA for sure. If that thing is as hard on scopes as it appears to be then Iron Sights are the only answer.

Randy

HangFireW8
04-03-2016, 09:52 PM
I've had one scope on a 444 for 20 years. I shoot it often. See my previous post for why scopes die. There is always a reason.

TXGunNut
04-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Dunno, been fighting this thing for about three years now. This rifle, round & boolit is awesome on TX whitetail and even good-sized hogs but it's missed the last two seasons. Guess I'll wipe it down and put it away for now. Wonder if Natchez still has VX-3's on sale.

HangFireW8
04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Keep the rings and replace the 2 piece weaver mounts with a one piece Weaver rail. Make sure the scope drops in the ring bottoms easily. I bet the problem will go away.

TXGunNut
04-04-2016, 09:47 PM
It is a one-piece Weaver, can't recall seeing a two-piece mount for a 336..at least in Weaver. When this scope comes back from repairs I'll have two spare scopes, I guess. I really like my new Vortex binocs and I'm really tired of buying VX-3 scopes.

35 shooter
04-04-2016, 11:36 PM
It is a one-piece Weaver, can't recall seeing a two-piece mount for a 336..at least in Weaver. When this scope comes back from repairs I'll have two spare scopes, I guess. I really like my new Vortex binocs and I'm really tired of buying VX-3 scopes.

Those swfa scopes i mentioned before are all rated for 50 cal. use. The parallax adj. on the set powers are on the near end of the scope too...pretty neat.
The price on the set powers are $300.00 regardless of power from what i saw. The variables jump in price pretty quick.
I was impressed with what i saw on line.

TXGunNut
04-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Sounds like the same price point as Leupolds and I've had very few problems with them. Will have to take a look at the swfa. I like the fixed 6X Weaver on my 300 Savage, may do a swap when I get Scopekiller's latest victim back from repair. I've heard good stuff about the new Weavers and I'm not ready to give up on them.

35 shooter
04-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a good idea to try the weaver first. I've been researching the new weavers lately too and your right ...lots of good reports.

TXGunNut
04-06-2016, 10:48 PM
Thinking about a three-way. Weaver 6X from Savage 99 in 300 Savage to Scopekiller, broken scope back to Weaver, and an old steel Weaver 1.5-4X to the Savage. Old Savage is a bit of a retro piece, old steel Weaver would look right at home on her. My buddy's Savage has an old 4X steel Weaver mounted, probably been there since new. My old steel Weaver (not El Paso) came on a used Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Not enough eye relief for a thumper but should be fine on that sweet old 300. Dunno what I'll do with the Weaver when it comes back from Weaver, guess I'll put it on the shelf next that poor abused Redfield.

TXGunNut
04-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Got the repaired Leupold scope back for my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. That's the one I was careless enough to fire with the vertical adjustment topped out.
I think my new thumper is ready to go hunting! Someday my phone and laptop will agree on which was is up....but not today.

TXGunNut
04-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Talked to the good folks at Weaver today to initiate the warranty repair process. Not real happy with paying the freight both ways and producing a receipt but I can live with it. Talked to Steve, seemed to have a fair bit of technical knowledge and was very pleasant to talk with. We talked about all the common non-scope issues that could lead one to believe a scope was bad when it wasn't. Then I told him Scopekiller's story and asked him if he had any thoughts on the multiple scope failures on this rifle. He seemed familiar with the issues I was having with the Redfield scopes but did not comment on them. He wasn't surprised by the failure of my Weaver scope but wouldn't comment on it, either. No biggie, a bit premature at this point. He also seemed to approve of my idea of moving the Weaver 6X fixed to Scopekiller. Another let-down; turnaround is 4-6 weeks.
Oh, well. I guess I can live with that as well.

35 shooter
04-12-2016, 12:08 AM
That scope will be back before you know it. Lol i would hate to have to produce a receipt on my 35+ year old leupy's.

Which reminds me, i have an old set 10 power i need to send in. Seems it finally popped a seal or something on the adj. pllx. obj. lens...bummer.

35remington
04-12-2016, 06:40 PM
If a light recoiling rifle is killing multiple scopes to include name brands, it's obviously something you are doing to cause it. Try doing something differently. Sending scopes back repeatedly is aggravating.

To give a more flexy contact between ring and scope I coat them with brush on electrical tape. Or try Burris signature rings with the inserts. There is no excuse for a 35 Remington to kill brand name scopes over and over.

HangFireW8
04-12-2016, 06:51 PM
There is always a reason. Slide hammer is another possibility. It only takes an 1/8" of mount movement.

35remington
04-12-2016, 08:32 PM
I see a pattern. Same guy, multiple killed scopes. What's the thing that hasn't changed all throughout the process? The guy mounting the scopes.

TXGunNut
04-12-2016, 11:11 PM
I see a pattern. Same guy, multiple killed scopes. What's the thing that hasn't changed all throughout the process? The guy mounting the scopes.

Frankly, no. This ain't my first rodeo.

35 shooter
04-13-2016, 12:00 AM
TX has a lot of other rifles with scopes too though. If i remember right this particular rifle is the only one giving him trouble....just saying.

HangFireW8
04-13-2016, 09:09 AM
Problem rifles are not choosy about their owners. In this case, the OP is unwilling to try a different mount or rings, so nothing will change.

35remington
04-13-2016, 01:16 PM
It may not be your first rodeo, but you're doing something wrong repeatedly. Fail to change your methodology and you will get the same results. This should have got old long ago and forced some change in what you are doing.

My conclusion is the same as Hangfire's.....the owner is the problem and is the obstacle to success. If the owner is stubborn he can keep going through the frustration of failure. His time, his dime. At that point all sympathy for his situation comes to an understandable end.

If what you are doing isn't working.....do something else! Problem solving 101.

buckwheatpaul
04-13-2016, 05:01 PM
Just got to shoot my 1951 336 in 35 Rem. It has Weaver one piece base with Warne rings and a Leupold 1 x 4.....no broken scope and great groups......WHOOHOOOO

Hickory
04-13-2016, 05:38 PM
I would bed the base with JB Weld, using wax or other release agent on receiver. Do not tighten anymore then snugg.
When all is well and and set up, I'd bed the scope to the rings the same way, with the release agent on the scope. This method renders zero stress on the scope
I've done this with all my firearms that wear a scope and this method has never failed to deliver.

HangFireW8
04-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I would bed the base with JB Weld, using wax or other release agent on receiver. Do not tighten anymore then snugg.
When all is well and and set up, I'd bed the scope to the rings the same way, with the release agent on the scope. This method renders zero stress on the scope
I've done this with all my firearms that wear a scope and this method has never failed to deliver.

That sounds like a GREAT plan.

I did something similar by finding an edge and filing a mount to engage it. Once I got it all worked out, I gave it to my gunsmith who redid it more cleanly with his mill.

Remember the rifle is moving backwards, so the mount/ring/scope is (essentially) trying to move FORWARDS on the rifle. So when you're trying to find an edge to prevent mount movement, it has to butt up to prevent the mount moving forwards, not backwards.

The essential design flaw in most mount systems is that they completely rely on a couple of small threaded screws to prevent forward movement. That's not the job of a screw. That should be the job of a lug engaging a recoil shoulder. The screws' only job should be to keep the mount down.

TXGunNut
04-13-2016, 11:48 PM
I've used this same system to mount scopes on more than a few rifles that generate quite a bit more recoil than this rifle generates...but they all have VX-3 glass these days. I didn't post this thread for sympathy, just thought some folks would find it interesting. I've mentioned that I know how to properly mount a scope but in this day of armchair experts I'm simply not interested in trotting out my creds, if you don't think I know what I'm doing I'm OK with that. Point is, some rifles are hard on scopes, especially lower-priced ones. This is one of those rifles. Many rifles seem to have personalities, this one seems to like breaking scopes. That's a lot more interesting than some poor bubba that doesn't know how to mount a scope, right?

35remington
04-14-2016, 08:05 AM
It may be interesting, but for the wrong reasons. Why something is done over and over and over again the same way with repeated failure while admitting it is costing you money and time is really puzzling.

At what point in this time and cash wasting outlay is it time to try something else? It's up to you, but reusing the same rings and mount that busted multiple other scopes is usually known as a "clue."

I might also ask, what significant difference is there between someone who doesn't know how to mount a scope.....and someone who claims he does yet fails repeatedly while not changing the way he is doing things? To most that would seem like in both cases that person doesn't know what to do. You don't need to trot out your creds. Repeated failure while never changing what you are doing in terms of attaching the scope speaks volumes.

HangFireW8
04-14-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm a slow learner and have had just about every problem with scopes, rings and mounts possible, so I don't want to criticize too much. What I do want to do is kick around ideas and maybe find a solution.

Here's a couple of things to consider. A loose barrel (uncommon) or buttstock (common w/ Marlins) can create a hammer effect under recoil. Both can be hard to find/diagnose.

Removing the buttstock and looking for working or a crack would be a start.

Put tight paper tape from scope to receiver and see if it snaps when fired.

35remington
04-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Until something different is done no solution will be found. That statement is already confirmed repeatedly by past events.

TXGunNut
05-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Well, I'm trying something different, 35remington. Scopekiller's latest victim returned from Weaver with some nonsense about over adjusting so I've moved on. I scored a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8X on sale and mounted it yesterday. Recent rains washed the bird **** off the shed across the driveway so I had to put up a piece of tape to do a redneck boresight job, lol. (got it within 2" @ 50 yds!) Most of my serious hunting rifles have VX-3's and I've only sent two in for repairs. One was incorrectly centered at the factory and the other one was user error.
New scope seemed to do quite well. Rifle really likes the NOE 360200 (RCBS 35-200 clone) but still doesn't much care for the RD359190.

35 shooter
05-16-2016, 12:40 AM
That's a nice power range on your new scope for your 35. You should have a deadly combination between that and the 200 gr. boolit.

TXGunNut
05-16-2016, 09:42 PM
I like the size of the scope as well, same scope is on my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. It's about an inch shorter than the full-sized scopes. Smaller scopes have smaller objectives and bigger scopes look a little silly on a levergun so I like the size of the scope as well as the magnification.

HangFireW8
05-16-2016, 11:17 PM
I've used this same system to mount scopes on more than a few rifles that generate quite a bit more recoil than this rifle generates...but they all have VX-3 glass these days. I didn't post this thread for sympathy, just thought some folks would find it interesting. I've mentioned that I know how to properly mount a scope but in this day of armchair experts I'm simply not interested in trotting out my creds, if you don't think I know what I'm doing I'm OK with that. Point is, some rifles are hard on scopes, especially lower-priced ones. This is one of those rifles. Many rifles seem to have personalities, this one seems to like breaking scopes. That's a lot more interesting than some poor bubba that doesn't know how to mount a scope, right?

What is interesting is someone who credits breakage to "personality" instead of physics. It is interesting, for some people interested in people I suppose, but not so interesting to those more interested in physics, shooting and fixing things.

I've used the same 3 systems on rifles for years, too. I just ran into one of my own that had a loose front mount after about 200 shots. A few years ago I shimmed the one-piece mount to better center the elevation mechanically, and replaced the front 3/8" 6-48 front screw with a 1/2" screw to get back all the turns of thread engagement. I measured carefully to make sure the screw length was OK without it bottoming out and binding against the barrel before it clamped the mount firmly.

Well, it worked great for 2 out of 3 years, but either I measured wrong (altogether possible) or the screw stretched, because now the screw was .003" too long, and groups opened up. Yes, it took a bit of measuring to determine that, including hole depth and some math (horror of horrors, subtraction).

I took .016" off of a fresh 1/2" screw (just happened to be what the grinder took off by the second pass), try and measure again, degrease and loc-tite, problem solved. I knew back then as well as now that screw shaft stretch is a required part of its clamping/holding power, but I didn't allow for enough of it.

I'm not afraid to admit I could have done a better job the first time, I'll certainly allow for a better margin of error next time.

So that was one of many learning experiences of a very experienced scope mounter, with all the equipment- collimators, ring alignment pointers, ring lappers, used them all manning the hunter's sight-in reject bench, you name it.

Are you prepared to learn, or are you just going to do the same thing over again? Your Leupold will probably last longer than the cheap scopes, but if there's a problem, it will come back again.

egg250
06-05-2016, 09:18 AM
How is the scope mounted? It was fine for a couple of years and then started eating scopes. It seems that something has changed and there is too much stress on the scope. Did you switch the base or rings when the problem started? I realize that you know how to install a scope, but something isn't quite right with the setup. If the rings are properly aligned the receiver/base is flexing too much and damaging the scope. If nothing is wrong with the gun a more rigid setup is needed or you will continue to break scopes.