PDA

View Full Version : It is not the pot but my lead

melloairman
02-26-2016, 10:37 PM
I have 3 Lee bottom pour pots . My new one has been used almost every day since I bought it 1-6-16 . Been using my 10-12 bhn lead . Which is a mix of pure and range lead . Really has not leaked but a couple of drops the whole time . Temp of lead 700-750 . To day I used my straight range lead which is 15 bhn . At one point in time a lot of Bear creek cast bullets were used at the range . Which were made of mostly reclaimed shot from trap ranges . And this non leaker did just what my other 2 pots did . Leaked badly unless I kept the temp at 750 -780 . Then it would not leak a drop . At the end of the session I let the temp drop to 725 and it began to leak again . It is what it is and I have to run this lead hot or I have problems . Marvin

454PB
02-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Have you cleaned the metering valve yet? If it's been used daily since Jan. 6, it's probably accumulated a buildup of crud.

1_Ogre
02-27-2016, 08:11 AM
My suggestion: Drain the pot good. Remove the metering tip and clean good with steel wool until it's shiny and no lead on it. Then clean the valve itself. Yes, it's a job, but what it sounds like to me is you have some crud built up in the valve and it's "DRIBBLING". You need to get it out

jsizemore
02-27-2016, 09:42 AM
The higher the lead content of your alloy the higher the temp needed to keep it liquid. Your pour nozzle is a source of heat loss.

rancher1913
02-27-2016, 09:47 AM
I was able to spin the needle on mine wile hot and it found its sweet spot and has not leaked since.

melloairman
02-29-2016, 04:34 PM
I have 3 Lee bottom pour pots . My new one has been used almost every day since I bought it 1-6-16 . Been using my 10-12 bhn lead . Which is a mix of pure and range lead . Really has not leaked but a couple of drops the whole time . Temp of lead 700-750 . To day I used my straight range lead which is 15 bhn . At one point in time a lot of Bear creek cast bullets were used at the range . Which were made of mostly reclaimed shot from trap ranges . And this non leaker did just what my other 2 pots did . Leaked badly unless I kept the temp at 750 -780 . Then it would not leak a drop . At the end of the session I let the temp drop to 725 and it began to leak again . It is what it is and I have to run this lead hot or I have problems . Marvin I have not touched the pot . Please read the thread carefully . Used the pot 2 more times and as long as the temp is above the thermometer reading of 750 there is no drip . Checked the thermometer in boiling water and it is correct . So today I had the thermometer in the pot as normal . With the thermometer leaning on the inside edge of the pot . Bullets not frosted at 800 degrees and no drip. Held the thermometer away from the side of the pot so it was not touching the pot and it went down to 780 degrees . It is the lead in reality and I learned today that I am not running the pot as hot as I thought . 3 different pots reacting to this lead in the same manner does not equate to a dirty spout IMO . Marvin