PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1906 value question?

slips73
02-26-2016, 07:20 PM
I found a winchester 1906 pump for sale in a local hardware store. The finish is so so, no gouges or deep scratches, just worn looking with some blue here and there on the flatter parts of the metal, wood has no cracks or chips, varnish is worn (easy to clean up tho) It was a consignment gun asking 450$, the bore on it was absolutely pristine, shiny and clean without any haze or rust. There was no pitting on the gun, some light haze and some crud that could be cleaned up in spots but nothing serious.

I guess my question is, is 450$ a good price for it? Considering the above, I couldnt take any photos, didnt have my phone on me.

Suo Gan
02-26-2016, 07:37 PM
Yep that price is good assuming a functioning rifle. I wish guns were normal prices around here. I miss the good old days.

tim338
02-26-2016, 07:41 PM
I have BIG weakness for pump 22 rifles. Based on the prices I have seen at local gunshows $450 is about what it is worth. About 12 years ago I paid $300 for one in simular condition with a lyman tang peep sight and it was missing the original butt plate.

georgerkahn
02-27-2016, 04:52 PM
That is a VERY good price for a fine rifle! If it were me, it surely would have followed me home! If you do elect to purchase it, I'd suggest doing nothing but perhaps cleaning action -- I like G96 -- and running a few dry patches through the barrel. At a recent gun show, a fellow had a "bubba refinished" 1903, and the fellows about it were in concert as to how much more that firearm would be worth, had it not been sanded, varnished, and cold blued -- splotchy, at that.

Again... I'd surely buy it!!!

Good luck
geo

Bad Ass Wallace
02-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Rifle prices are quite funny in different parts of the world. I paid $AU50 for one at the dealer that was missing the action side plate. I did some 'horse trading' for some other parts and got one to restore it to full function.

Not a sort after model here and the asking price reflects that!

Lovely little rifle for our local "classic rimfire" matches.