PDA

View Full Version : Strange item on e-bay, kinda funny, kinda sad.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-26-2016, 10:57 AM
I like to browse the used reloading equipment on E-Bay because some of it is really nice, unusual, interesting, etc.

Not long ago I came across a photo of a item described as: "Vintage reloading equipment" or something similar. It was a metal part mounted on a piece of wood. On one end there was a threaded piece.

I thought it looked familiar, and looking closer, I saw that it was a pecan cracker without the handle. The kind you place the pecan in the middle and close the handle and it cracks the pecan. I have one so I know of which I speak. :-)

After it stayed there for about a week, I emailed the seller and told him what it was. I don't know if he sold it or he took it down. I just thought it was funny.

OS OK
02-26-2016, 11:02 AM
"Redneck Engineering' at its finest!"

Why have you been cracking P-cans in a reloading press anyway…Joe?

Walkingwolf
02-26-2016, 11:29 AM
You mean one of these?
http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/8YYAAOSw-zxWpnZH/s-l225.jpg

(insert facepalm here)

bangerjim
02-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Many people on evilbay are idiots. Anything to turn a buck. They have no idea what they have but sure think they know what it is worth!!!!

I never go there anymore.

banger

jcwit
02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Many people on evilbay are idiots. Anything to turn a buck. They have no idea what they have but sure think they know what it is worth!!!!

banger

Blanket statements once again, I find many many bargains there. Some used, some new, some from here, some from overseas.

How bout a prayer book "new" 255 pages, $8.00 at my door.

Flashlights pack of 5 for $4.09, at my door.

Digital bath scale "new" $6.00, at my door.

NRA bullet lube "new" 10 pcs. for $18.00, at my door.

Lee Priming tool, old style with shell holder, $6.00 at my door.

Just like gun shown, never going will never get you a deal.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-26-2016, 12:00 PM
That's kinda funny.
a few years ago, I bought a "Smart Reloader" press. It was a china copy of Lee's small bench "Reloader" Press. The "Smart Reloader" press was soooo cheap, I just had to check it out. It was junk, poorly machined ...anyway, I put it on my gunshow table, labeled as a walnut cracker...it got a few laughs...It is really all it was good for.

jcwit
02-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Like you say, nut cracker, finally someone found out a use for Smart Reloader Press. LOL

BrassMagnet
02-26-2016, 12:45 PM
You mean one of these?

(insert facepalm here)

Quick YouTube video on how to "crack walnuts," er...reload. Do use lube on the case mouth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFeQ7mzXZc

sparky45
02-26-2016, 01:06 PM

banger

Thanks for not going, it's really crowded over there as it is and I need all the advantage I can gather.

bangerjim
02-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Y'all are more than welcome to anything and everything you can dredge up on that evilbay site. I quite using it 3 years ago. I buy everything new so I know it works and has full warranty. And try to keep all my $$ localy to support other local businesses like mine.

And I just LOVE blanket statements......they keep me warm during cold winter nights. [smilie=p:

jcwit....glad you found what you wanted. I would have no use for any of that stuff. Glad you do. Last flashlights I bought were 1,000 lumen LED solar rechargeable and cost over $60 each.

Happy shopping to all.

banger

bedbugbilly
02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Oh, I don't know . . . . I've always found a pecan loaded over 3.5 grains of bulls eye to be an excellent round! It may not kill what you are shooting at but it will drive them "nuts" . . . .

jcwit
02-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Y'all are more than welcome to anything and everything you can dredge up on that evilbay site. I quite using it 3 years ago. I buy everything new so I know it works and has full warranty. And try to keep all my $$ localy to support other local businesses like mine.

And I just LOVE blanket statements......they keep me warm during cold winter nights. [smilie=p:

jcwit....glad you found what you wanted. I would have no use for any of that stuff. Glad you do. Last flashlights I bought were 1,000 lumen LED solar rechargeable and cost over $60 each.

Happy shopping to all.

banger

With your overbearing prideful attitude I think you sure could use one of the prayer books.

$60 bucks for a flashlight, frankly you got took, but I'm glad you like wasting you money.

I'll be more than happy being frugal with my assets. YMMV

bangerjim
02-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Now you are getting nasty. This thread was not about getting nasty. Stop it. Looks like you may be on my ignore list now.

BrassMagnet
02-26-2016, 06:48 PM
Let's keep it fun here!
I know I must be a "nut" to use load data from a friend here on Cast Boolits, But I can't resist! A WFN in a Hornet is a no "cracker" at 1.5 of Bullseye and a "real cracker" at 2.0 of Bullseye.
I better get to "Crackin" and cast some of those WFN for my Hornet!

BrassMagnet
02-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Let's keep it fun here!
I know I must be a "nut" to use load data from a friend here on Cast Boolits, But I can't resist! A WFN in a Hornet is a no "cracker" at 1.5 of Bullseye and a "real cracker" at 2.0 of Bullseye.

Maybe I could use a set of these "Nutcrackers!"

Plate plinker
02-26-2016, 07:29 PM
Shoot $60 is nothing look at the price of Surefire lights.......!

montana_charlie
02-26-2016, 07:43 PM
I find a lot of decent prices on eBay, and make frequent purchases if that outlet can beat local stores.
But, some items just never come up as 'good deals', and I am talking specifically about large Rowell ladles in usable condition.

I have been watching eBay for two years ... hoping to get a 'deal' on a #7 Rowell.

They don't pop up very often, and the owner always thinks he has the antique of the millenium.
First, most want about forty bucks to ship it, and they want well in excess of a hundred bucks as the purchase price.

They see some rust, or some solidified lead in the bottom of such a primitive-looking tool, and they just know that it's the last one on the planet, and a whole crowd of people are waiting to own it.

I am certain they would be flabbergasted if told that the same ladle is available, in new condition, for about what they want for shipping.

I don't need on one 'very bad', so I can wait to see if luck improves. But, it's an item that could drive you to drink if you aren't the patient type.

.22-10-45
02-26-2016, 07:56 PM
It's not just ebay..at local G.S., couple of twenty somethings spied some Ideal & Lyman moulds on table...Oh look...wire crimpers! Now I understand how these moulds are found so beat up!

jcwit
02-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Shoot $60 is nothing look at the price of Surefire lights.......!

Yes, and I know people that spend $400 to $600 dollars for a pr. of eye glasses that can be had on line for $29.00, course mine are free.

jcwit
02-26-2016, 08:05 PM
Now you are getting nasty. This thread was not about getting nasty. Stop it. Looks like you may be on my ignore list now.

Ah, come on now, nasty? Must be touchy today, no? Just my opinion, that no flashlight is worth $60 bucks. Just as it's my opinion that blanket statements hold no water. Good deals are available, just because the items I listed were not what you were looking for does not mean in any way they were not good to excellent buys.

jonp
02-26-2016, 08:08 PM

banger

True but you can also get some good deals from people that should know better

jonp
02-26-2016, 08:11 PM
Let's keep it fun here!

Dang, Brass. You should eat some Cracklin's when Crackin that Hornet

shooter93
02-26-2016, 08:15 PM
A sad state of affairs.....at this site and in Our town not in the pit... when even a simple post about humorous post on an item on Ebay turns into an insult battle.

jcwit
02-26-2016, 08:20 PM
I did not start it!

wv109323
02-26-2016, 08:22 PM
I saw a bottle capping press being sold as a reloading press.

jcwit
02-26-2016, 08:33 PM
I saw a bottle capping press being sold as a reloading press.

Early on, I knew guys that used them as a poor mans press.

I even knew a guy that used one of those things that converts a hand held drill into a drill press.

Taylor
02-26-2016, 08:47 PM
What gets me is if it is rusty,it's vintage.

salpal48
02-26-2016, 09:01 PM
There is always a Lot of Bogus stuff on ebay. You really have to Know Your History. Especially with Loading equipment. But again I have found a lot Of really Old reloading Item. That is One Of the Reasons I am a ARTCA member.
Not all Reloading Is Lee , Dillon.
Just remember Knowledge Turns into Cash

Walkingwolf
02-26-2016, 09:04 PM
I use ebay occasionally, it depends on what I need, if I cannot find it elsewhere. My online buying varies I first go to Wally World, I like that I can return at a local store. Next inline is Amazon, mostly quick shipping, and return is simple. Third is ebay, but I use US sellers, and stay with sellers with a good reputation.

NavyVet1959
02-26-2016, 09:04 PM
I even knew a guy that used one of those things that converts a hand held drill into a drill press.

I have something like that. It's useful when you need to drill a hole at a particular angle and it is too far from the edge of the material that a normal drill press would work.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/DrillGuide450.jpg

jcwit
02-26-2016, 09:14 PM
I would consider this an excellent buy to the person wishing to have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Older-Belding-Mull-Powder-Measure-Philipsburg-Pa-/401070306748?hash=item5d61a735bc:g:GTsAAOSwzgRWvPt p

One of the best powder measures ever made. IMO of course.

Just an example.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-26-2016, 09:42 PM
You mean one of these?

(insert facepalm here)

No, that's the real deal. :-)

All right guys and girls, this is a nice place. If you forgot to take your meds, go do it now. Then wait 30 minutes before browsing Cast Boolits again.

BrassMagnet
02-26-2016, 10:21 PM
I use ebay occasionally, it depends on what I need, if I cannot find it elsewhere. My online buying varies I first go to Wally World, I like that I can return at a local store. Next inline is Amazon, mostly quick shipping, and return is simple. Third is ebay, but I use US sellers, and stay with sellers with a good reputation.

I had a real bad experience with "a seller with a good reputation."
Five rare bullet moulds. They were tossed in a 6"x6" box with a square of bubble wrap. The ten mould halves bounced a lot on their way to me.
When I complained about the poor packaging she informed me about all of her positive feedback and how great they liked her packaging.

She sold plastic toys!

jcwit
02-26-2016, 10:31 PM
I had a real bad experience with "a seller with a good reputation."
Five rare bullet moulds. They were tossed in a 6"x6" box with a square of bubble wrap. The ten mould halves bounced a lot on their way to me.
When I complained about the poor packaging she informed me about all of her positive feedback and how great they liked her packaging.

She sold plastic toys!

Looks like the old adage holds true, there are exceptions to every rule.

MT Gianni
02-26-2016, 10:58 PM
You guys didn't even mention then many Pharmacy suppository molds sold as bullet molds/antique.

Walkingwolf
02-26-2016, 11:02 PM

True, but I have for the most part had good luck, but I do not buy everything off of ebay. I search other sources first.

Garyshome
02-26-2016, 11:13 PM
If I am looking for a price on an item I might buy, ebay is the first I look then I head on over to amazon to see a really high price, then the search is on for the best price with free shipping. I have sold many items on e bay some at a profit some at a loss, the important thing is they are no longer taking up space at my place. Besides crazy people buy almost anything.

Alvarez Kelly
02-26-2016, 11:16 PM

He's been on my ignore list for years. His arrogance wears thin.

BrassMagnet
02-26-2016, 11:33 PM

I should have looked to see what she normally sold and requested special packaging when I saw it wasn't moulds, tooling, etc!
Live and learn.

40-82 hiker
02-26-2016, 11:34 PM
I have something like that. It's useful when you need to drill a hole at a particular angle and it is too far from the edge of the material that a normal drill press would work.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/DrillGuide450.jpg

+1 ^^^^

Really, though, I wanted to respond about the nutcracker (and Lee Whack-a-Mole): Started using both with my Dad when I turned 12. We both new nothing about reloading, didn't even have friends who reloaded. Used them for some time back then, and I look on them fondly, as do most of us, I would assume. I can still hear my Dad in the basement popping the occasional primer with the Lee (he was a little heavy handed with the plastic mallet). Wow! A long time ago...

Ebay? I've used it a few times over the years, but not for reloading stuff. Never had a problem, but I don't generally push my luck with it. A number of years ago I used Ebay to buy a number of Big Little Books for my Dad, to replace those that were stolen from his room while he was touring France, Belgium, and Germany in the ETO behind a BAR and an M1. All transactions went well, and the books were as described. Not knowing where else I could get such books at the time, I did real good getting those books for what I paid. Never forget the look on my Dad's face when he opened that box with about a dozen of those books, down to the correct titles that I had confined to memory over the years of listening to his stories about those books, and the unknown family person who took them and never fessed up. Ebay? Yeah, sometimes... Just not now.

jonp
02-26-2016, 11:46 PM
What gets me is if it is rusty,it's vintage.

No, it's rare

sparky45
02-27-2016, 12:02 AM
He's been on my ignore list for years. His arrogance wears thin.
You know, I've bought Dillon items from you and you're an upstanding member here IMO, but for the life of me I don't understand what your above comment adds to the conversation. Let's all get back to the OP.

jcwit
02-27-2016, 12:17 AM
Looks as tho the general consensus is that E-Bay does in fact has it's place, and good deals are available to those who look for them.

They have been a place where I've been able to almost complete my collection of Lee Loaders "whack-a-mole", many are no longer available from the factory. I also collect the old Lee hand primers with the screw in shell holders, none of these are available from the factory as they have been out of production for years.

The thing I like about the Lee Loader is I can take them to the range and make up loads in the shack then move to the bench rest tables.

country gent
02-27-2016, 12:36 AM
Heres something thats been over looked and forgotten now that good equipment is available. Alot of bottle cappers, arbhor press, and yes press type nut crackers were set up converted to reloading presses in the past. Alot of machinists tool makers made one off presses for loadig with wilson and Lee type sets. I have one I made rack and pinion set up. Some were a simple base upright and leverage type operation. Some were crude some very fancy. My Ram has 3 inches of travel in and adjustable for hieght mount to the bar, ( this allows me to adjust the handles range of movement for diffrent cases. WHile that may be a pecan cracker it may have been converted or used for reloading at some point

RogerDat
02-27-2016, 01:19 AM
Knowledge is power. If you know what something is worth, or worth to you ebay is just another possible source of supply. If you have no clue it might be better to avoid taking eBay sellers word for it.

I got the copy of a potter mold I use for pewter because it casts 6 small ingots with a bold "P" in them. Very reasonable price. I purchased a used Lee hand press for a good price compared to new. I won't use it much so not paying full price made sense. BUT I KNEW what these items were going for (checked sold eBay prices as well as other sources) I also see items such as Lee perfect powder measure for $8 more than Titan. Same for dies or presses, deals are there but so are the overpriced goods.

Knowing the difference is the buyers job, it is nice when the seller does too but then there is something to be said for people selling stuff without knowing item is worth more than they are charging. At least when I'm the buyer. That means I have to put up with the people who overprice through the same ignorance of real value. Heck if someone is willing to pay too much I hope they come to my garage sale.

Sorry Banger if a really exceptional flashlight is actually worth $60 then maybe I can sell those ones I keep getting free at Harbor Freight for at least $8 since they work, are LED and are not total garbage, actually half decent.

My own preference however is for purchasing new unless I can get my little meat hooks on it and decide if it is good.

TXGunNut
02-27-2016, 02:38 AM
You guys didn't even mention then many Pharmacy suppository molds sold as bullet molds/antique.

I'd almost forgotten, lol.

leftiye
02-27-2016, 05:28 AM

I never go there anymore. banger

Lately I've had a string of crooks try to get my money there. Real irritating. There's a certain model of tent that I can get for $218 that ranges 3- 4- up to 7 hundred dollars. eVil bAy is very often not the cheapest place to get stuff.

Ballistics in Scotland
02-27-2016, 06:41 AM

Just what I was thinking. It seems the nature of the internet that people start talking about a subject, and change to talking about themselves and each other.

Of course there are frauds or excessive optimism on eBay, but you either get better illustrations than on any other site that permits easy comparison shopping, or the seller has to do some fast talking about why you don't. But the overheads, even with the fees they complain so much about, are far lower than in a face to face retail store, and most sellers have the sense to pass much of it on to the customer. There is a better enforcement system against misdescription than on any other third party selling site, so that a seller simply can't go on being challenged on it. You can also choose sellers who accept no-fault returns, for any reason or none.

I buy a lot of small hardware items for crafts and home improvements. I can find them at a fraction of the price in local hardware stores, and being in a rather crowded island, delivery is fast and reasonably cheap. There are also items which won't exist locally in a hundred years, and I can search by category or vague description for pictures of items I don't know the name of.

You can put up followed searches with e-mailed notifications when a particular item turns up. These, sometimes after years, have yielded me the following:

Volume 10 of Arthur Mee's "Children's Encyclopaedia", replacing one which I left in my grandfather's leaky shed in 1957.

The sole missing issue from the "British Empire" bound part-work series I saved in 1965.

A copy of "Popular Mechanics" from 1932, with the sole known photograph of the sun compass Major Bagnold designed for desert exploration.

A copy of "The Dark Invader" by Captain von Rintelen, the saboteur of the arms trade from New York harbor in 1915, signed by the author. Even the seller couldn't didn't recognize it, but it came from the USA, and the picture enabled my German wife to say that if it was a fake it was faked by a German hand.

A verge pocket watch movement of the 1830s, retailed in my home town, and with a repairer's mark dated 1845 by the watchmaker's kid brother, whose gravestone, from 1896, is a couple of hundred yards from my door.

We make our own choices on how we spend our money. I have a flashlight I carried on a boat, where it might have been a lifesaving item someday. I also have another which hangs in the garden, in case I have to walk where my dog lays a minefield much resembling some internet discussions. Well what do you know? They are different.