PDA

View Full Version : What makes LBT Blue "creamy"?

Whistler
02-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I have used both Carnauba Red and LBT Blue with great success. Awesome lubes, and many kudos to the makers/vendors.

My favorite home made lube is the old Lithibee, a simple mix of 50% beeswax and 50% molybdendisulfide (lithium grease).
It does however have some properties I am not fond of. One is that I would like a slightly drier lube in room temperature, simply because of handling issues (I like to make large batches, thus storing for long periods of time).

Some carnauba wax will take care of that, though a slightly higher flow temperature becomes natural.

There is one property in LBT Blue that I find very intriguing. It has a somewhat creamy or pasty feel to it. It manages to hold together without smearing. Does anyone know what the ingredient causing that effect is?

(Am I making any sense?)

tja6435
02-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Vaseline

birddog
02-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Well hell feel free to ask Veral, he might tell ya.
Charlie

gwpercle
02-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Lithium grease and beeswax is also my favorite . In the 1970's Garth Choate , made a machine to make sticks of lube which he sold for 20 sticks for $10.00. Seeking more, I contacted him, he replied he was now out of the lube business but sent his recipe, 3 parts beeswax to 1 part lithium grease , if additional hardness is needed add just a little paraffin wax to firm up.
You may want to try the three to one beeswax /lithium which gives a nice consistency. It doesn't require a heater but is still firm and the sticks from 1978 haven't separated or turned hard , I keep wondering how long this stuff is going to last. In a few minutes I'm going to lube up a few hundred freshly cast 9mm boolits with it.
Don't give up on the lithium/beeswax, try an addition of beeswax and maybe some paraffin to get the right mix.
I have never had leading problems with this lube but I only use it for handgun boolits. For cast boolits in rifle's it may not be up to "speed" .

Another good recipe is Ben's Red Lube , it has a few additional ingredients , but is a very useful lube handgun and rifle.
Gary

lightload
02-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Colloidal graphite is one LBT lube component and may be the ingredient in question.

leadman
02-28-2016, 01:00 AM
Veral posts on Greybeard Outdoors but I doubt he will give up any info. He stated it took most of his savings to develop his lubes. I hope he passes on the formula in his will.
This was the first lube that allowed me to shoot boolits over 3,000 fps with no leading.