PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for suggesting a red dot for my Blackhawk!

tazman
02-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks to all of you who suggested I put a red dot on my Ruger Blackhawk to improve my aiming/sighting. I mounted a cheap red dot reflex sight on the Blackhawk using Weaver 301 no drill mount.
It all went together more easily than I expected.
I took it to an indoor range today and got it sighted in and shot it for a while today. After sighting in I did all my shooting at 20 yards.
I have never been able to hold decent groups at that distance before apparently due to my poor eyesight. Today I was easily shooting 2 inches or better consistently(except for my 296 loads) with both cast and jacketed.
Now I need to give it a good workout and see how well the sight holds up. If it breaks quickly, I will be investing in a much better sight. This cheap one is enough to let me know how much it can help me.
Thanks again for the good advice.
tazman

str8wal
02-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the club. About the only pistols I own anymore that don't wear optics are the ones I need to conceal on my person.

GhostHawk
02-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Recently bought a Ruger Mk 3 with the rail built into the slide.
Decent price, put a truglo red dot on top and at 20 feet my wife put 10 into a 1" circle.

I suspect with some practice she will do about the same at longer ranges.

Nice setup. And it means her old Mk 3 22/45 SS bull barrel is now mine. (insert happy dance here)

Dale53
02-26-2016, 12:22 AM
I have red dot sights on nearly all of my regularly shot handguns. It has literally given my shooting a new lease on life.

Dale53

JeffG
02-26-2016, 01:22 AM
I use them on 2 .22 LR target pistols and on a AR style .22 LR, and just love them. They really are easier on the eyes. The only problem is you now get to see how much you are shaking...:shock:

Seeker
02-26-2016, 04:20 PM
I know the feeling. I just recently put one on my Blackhawk.

rfd
02-26-2016, 06:55 PM
i've really come to like a good red dot on most any handgun. here's a burris ff3 sitting on weigand rail (soon be removed for a custom rear mount) atop a gp100 6" .357mag ...

http://i.imgur.com/UUvsVZY.jpg

Lefty Red
02-26-2016, 07:30 PM
It's a game changer!

Markbo
02-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Tazman any way you can post pics? I am curious about the rail.

tazman
02-26-2016, 10:52 PM
Tazman any way you can post pics? I am curious about the rail.

Here you go.

The mount replaces the rear sight. There is a screw that goes through a tube under the rail that screws into the sight adjustment screw hole.
The ring around the barrel easily snaps over the barrel a couple of inches in front of the frame. When you move it back to it's final position, the ring is clamped tightly to the barrel. There is some sort of coating inside the ring so it doesn't mar the barrel. It is tight enough that I needed to firmly tap it back into position with a soft face hammer. Once the rear corner of the mount dropped over the back of the frame, it simply doesn't move any further. The screw holds it in place well so far.
There is a video on how to install this mount either on the Weaver site or youtube. I can't remember which place I saw it.