PDA

View Full Version : My first time casting today

Harleysboss
02-25-2016, 07:53 PM
Well after reading about it for over a year and collecting all the gear, I finally worked up the courage to melt some lead. All my components are geared toward paper patching for my Green Mountain LRH 1-28 .50cal. Followed instructions set forth by Idahoron and his tutorials on this forum. Used the Lee S&W 500 mold. After some trial and error..not to much error but enough! I finally started dropping nice shinny uniform bullets. This is pretty fun stuff! Produce somewhere around 50 bullets. I will sort them and keep only the perfect ones or near perfect anyway. Rolled a couple in #9 onion skin paper and ran them through my .501 sizer and they seem like they will slid down the bore with just enough resistance. Not sure what I was afraid but now I don't have to buy bullets. Look out Elk! I know how they shoot because I've been shooting this set up for awhile now but cant wait to send my own home rolled slugs down range. Thanks for the guidance on this forum.

chsparkman
02-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Well done! Be sure and give us a report once you fire some.

thadfz
02-25-2016, 10:50 PM
That's great. I'm still in the reading phase myself. Still haven't taken the first step. Maybe someday.

jcren
02-25-2016, 10:57 PM
That's great. I'm still in the reading phase myself. Still haven't taken the first step. Maybe someday.

"Jump in brother, the water is fine!"
Reading and asking questions is a good start, but you won't believe how quickly it all comes together once you start to pour!

nagantguy
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Cast them shoot them, improve the forumula, repeat. The rest I'd all theory. welcome to the addiction

idahoron
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM
Well after reading about it for over a year and collecting all the gear, I finally worked up the courage to melt some lead. All my components are geared toward paper patching for my Green Mountain LRH 1-28 .50cal. Followed instructions set forth by Idahoron and his tutorials on this forum. Used the Lee S&W 500 mold. After some trial and error..not to much error but enough! I finally started dropping nice shinny uniform bullets. This is pretty fun stuff! Produce somewhere around 50 bullets. I will sort them and keep only the perfect ones or near perfect anyway. Rolled a couple in #9 onion skin paper and ran them through my .501 sizer and they seem like they will slid down the bore with just enough resistance. Not sure what I was afraid but now I don't have to buy bullets. Look out Elk! I know how they shoot because I've been shooting this set up for awhile now but cant wait to send my own home rolled slugs down range. Thanks for the guidance on this forum.

That is great! Now how much do the bullets weigh? When I found that load it was the second time I felt total freedom. The first time was when I started to reload for my CF guns. When I found this load for my Muzzleloader I felt even more freedom than I did with my reloading. I did buy another mould last year so I knew that I have things covered for a very long time.
Keep us posted how they do.

sharps4590
02-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Congrats Harley. Fair warning to all you guys who are just starting...it is a slippery slope you have started down!!!! And an exceedingly satisfying slope!

rfd
02-26-2016, 08:45 AM
it's important to weigh them all and remelt the lighter ones (they contain air bubbles).

casting technique helps heaps, as does a good mould.

enjoy your new "sport"!