PDA

View Full Version : tacky lube

Oklahoma Rebel
02-25-2016, 01:40 PM
How tacky is Bens Red lube, the solid kind. I have made homemade lube before and it works great and I will use it till it is gone, but the tackiness is a problem. if you pick up the boolit, even after a couple weeks to dry, sometimes it will stick to my fingers and I can just roll it in my fingers and the lube will roll off in nice little bands. will Bens Red do that. also is it good for .44 mags, 45-70s, up to 7.62x54 speeds? (around 2000-2200 I think?) thank you very much.
Travis

35 shooter
02-25-2016, 02:48 PM
You can add up to about 5% more bees wax to the formula to make it less tacky and harden it up a bit, but yes, the original recipe is sticky, tacky, and very soft.
This is the very thing that makes it work so well. It slings off in every pore of the bbl. and at exit from the bore...no lube stuck in the grooves of the boolit on the way to the target to imbalance it.

It works at whatever speed you shoot it at, slow to fast. Lots of folks are using a light tumble coat of BLL over it for a dryer coat for boolit storage.
I saw a report of using it at -9* the other day with no problems and i have shot it at 105* with performance same as usual at speeds up to 2600 fps. in a 35 whelen.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-25-2016, 07:57 PM
ok, cuz my boolits are lubed and stored awaiting a lee sizer kit. but after a month or two it hasn't changed in consistency, or dried out as I hoped would not happen. also what about paraffin, it s so much cheaper and easier to get, could I replace it for the beeswax in bens red recipe? it would be nice. I don't have much spending money

Landshark9025
02-25-2016, 08:13 PM
also what about paraffin, it s so much cheaper and easier to get, could I replace it for the beeswax in bens red recipe? it would be nice. I don't have much spending money

I get the "not much spending money" part. However, if you check out Randyrat in the Vendor Sponsor area, I think you will find a really fair deal. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?146-ALLEEBEE-S-beeswax-lube-amp-products

5lbs of beeswax mixed exactly like the recipe calls for will go a LONG way. For about $17 you can have 10lbs of beeswax to your door and that will last a while.

I've used Ben's Red straight to the recipe and with about 57% BW rather than 50%. It works great. Only issue I had was trying to use a stiffer version to compensate for a too soft alloy in a polygonal barrel. Right fit, right alloy and it works great in my pistol and revolvers.

JWFilips
02-25-2016, 09:58 PM
You can add up to about 5% more bees wax to the formula to make it less tacky and harden it up a bit, but yes, the original recipe is sticky, tacky, and very soft.
This is the very thing that makes it work so well. It slings off in every pore of the bbl. and at exit from the bore...no lube stuck in the grooves of the boolit on the way to the target to imbalance it.

It works at whatever speed you shoot it at, slow to fast. Lots of folks are using a light tumble coat of BLL over it for a dryer coat for boolit storage.
I saw a report of using it at -9* the other day with no problems and i have shot it at 105* with performance same as usual at speeds up to 2600 fps. in a 35 whelen.

You hit it on the head! nothing more to add!

Ben
02-25-2016, 11:06 PM
The reason that paraffin is so cheap is that they know what it is worth.

Oklahoma Rebel
02-26-2016, 12:03 AM
ok lol,if this is the bens lube ben then I can't argue, plus 17 for 10lbs is a lot cheaper than I thought it would bee hahaha, also a lot of recipes use soap, ivory I believe., would that help the problems with my lube, as far as it sticking to my fingers and coming off out of the lube grooves? thank you for your responses,
Travis

Ben
02-26-2016, 12:39 AM
I can't say what this change or that change will do ?
I can tell you what Ben's red will do when it is mixed to specs.