PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know this about Steve McQueen

spotsboss
02-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Years after his death, Steve McQueen is still the King of Cool. In the late 70’s, he bought a vintage bi-plane and hired an experienced pilot named Sammy Mason to train him to fly it. Mason was a devout Christian and the Holy Spirit used him to lead Steve and his wife Barbara to Christ. They began attending church with Mason.
By September, 1980, Steve was battling advanced cancer. Grady Ragsdale, McQueen’s ranch manager, contacted Billy Graham. “Steve really wants to talk to you,” he said, “he’s in a bad way.” The next day, Billy met with Steve. Billy said he looked “all wrinkled and shrunk, but his eyes sparkled above the oxygen mask he was using.” McQueen sat up in the bed and greeted Graham warmly, telling him of his spiritual experience. About 3 months before he knew he was ill, he accepted Christ as his savior and started reading his Bible and praying. He had undergone a total transformation of his life. Billy read Romans 8 from his Bible, the two men prayed and visited and Steve asked numerous questions. Billy gave him his Bible.
Steve then left on a private jet to Mexico for a last-hope surgery not available in the U.S. The next morning his heart failed and the actor made his ultimate “great escape” into the presence of Jesus. Billy’s well-marked Bible was resting on his chest.
Steve’s wife said that being born again in Christ helped him find the inner peace that eluded him so long.

aspangler
02-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Wonderful story. We will get to see him one day in Heaven. That will be nice but the one I want to see most is Jesus my Savior. Praise God for another soul in the family.

smoked turkey
02-25-2016, 01:02 PM
I am glad to hear about Steve McQueen's conversion and also Billy Graham's being able to meet with him. Two greats that had taken completely different paths but still were able to connect at a time when it was important to do so. We can only speculate how Steve's life might have been different had he committed to Christ at a younger age. However what is important is that he did commit before he went off into eternity.

EMC45
02-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Had a Pastor tell my wife and I that story years ago. I choked up then, and I did just now. Praise God.

shoot-n-lead
02-25-2016, 01:23 PM
I didn't know that, either. Good to hear...

LUBEDUDE
02-25-2016, 06:27 PM
Great story, thanks!

Blackwater
02-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Thanks for a great story. McQueen always seemed to evidence that he was searching for something, and I had a sense that even he didn't know exactly what it was. This makes the story seem even more poignant. I've known a number of men like that. And when they transform, they REALLY transform, too! Mostly, they've just got the personality that just won't let them do things half-way. Including conversion. It's always good to hear of stories like this. It's fashionable to pan Hollywood, but they're people just like the rest of us, and Christ died for them as much as He did for any of us. And there are stories all over, even in Hollywood and other seemingly unlikely places, about this type of thing. Wherever there are people, there's an opportunity, and it's humbling to realize who it is sometimes who responds, and who doesn't. Often, the ones we'd expect to win don't move, and the ones we'd least suspect do. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere. Maybe something about casting our bread upon the waters, maybe?

jlm223
02-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Always liked Steve McQueen, "JESUS IS LORD"

buckwheatpaul
02-25-2016, 09:13 PM
All I can say is WOW....didnt know that....thanks for sharing.....it only goes to show that it is NEVER too late to come to the Lord.....He is always with us ... just let Him in...Paul

AK Caster
02-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Steve was and still is, the King of Cool!

bayjoe
02-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Awesome story!

John Wayne
12-25-2020, 01:32 PM
Merry Christmas everyone! It's a great day to revive this thread!

Wild Bill 7
12-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the insight. Merry Christmas to everyone and may God bless you all.
Wild Bill 7

Winger Ed.
12-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Billy Graham was really something.

As a kid, in 1968, he spoke at our Jr. High School.
I remember feeling a energy come into the auditorium when he took the stage.

skeettx
12-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Steve is a Who so ever :)
God is Good
Mike

buckwheatpaul
12-25-2020, 11:38 PM
What a great story about a great person....thanks for sharing it with us!

CastingFool
12-26-2020, 12:13 AM
I never knew that either, thanks for sharing!

contender1
12-26-2020, 12:20 AM
I have heard this before & always enjoyed it. It makes me smile.
I enjoyed Steve's works,, and he was a good actor.
And Billy Graham,, well, he lived just up the road from us. Well known locally, including Ruth, & Franklin. Good people,, & quite warm.
I grew up knowing that Billy was the real deal,, while so many others were shysters & fakes,,!
I remember a story back in the late 1970's about TV Evangelists, Jim Baker, Oral Roberts, etc,, all were chastised for the way the preached & their life styles & monies.
Jim Baker "claimed" that the Devil got into their computer system,, and "stole" about 7 million dollars. Yet,, with all of the stuff about all the others,, Billy Graham,, was praised for taking a modest salary, and living in a modest home. And,, his financial records were available for audit. None of the others would do that.

Billy was the real deal,, and I know that Steve was glad to have his help & support.
I bet the both of them are enjoying each others company in Heaven.

ebb
12-26-2020, 09:55 PM
When Steve still raced in motorcycle races he used to enter under the name of Harvey Mushman so he could at least try to avoid the fans. There have been many modern day conversions that no one seems to know about Jack "Murph the surf' Murphy, and a real weird one General Butt Naked. Do a word search on the general it is amassing the lengths our Savior will go to save one of us.

bigjake
12-26-2020, 11:00 PM
McQueen was in that movie " On any Sunday" where he rode dirt bikes and raced in the desert.

flint45
12-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Steve McQueen was always one of my favorites I’m thankful to hear that story praise God.

tankgunner59
12-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Yes I knew this. I heard this many years ago and did the research to verify. Steve truly was a Christian man.

Parson
12-27-2020, 02:42 PM
I knew him, not good buddies but met him while they were filming the outdoor scenes for Nevada Smith. He was as obnoxious as most of the rest until you let him know you weren’t impressed, he then changed like flipping a switch and was just a regular guy that liked motorcycles and such. The stunt men were real easy to get along with but most of the actors were real pills. They were staying at Mammoth Mountain Inn where I worked maintenance. He got in trouble with forest dept for running his bikes without spark arrester mufflers. There was one bit actor that was especially obnoxious, nobody liked him. My boss asked some of the stunt men if they could do anything about him as he was a real trouble maker for us in maintenance. They told him they didn’t like him either and it would be taken care, as there was to be a fight scene filmed the next day, you should have seen him when he got off the bus, black and blue almost from head to foot, never had a problem with him again

smithnframe
12-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Maybe that explains how he loaded 45/70 rounds in a 92 Winchester!!!

snowwolfe
12-27-2020, 05:18 PM
So the guy was near death from cancer and all of a sudden got religious?
Pretty common story for people getting old or ready to die.
Am a huge fan of Steve but just about anyone else in his position would of done the same to try to capture eternal life.

Parson
12-27-2020, 05:45 PM
Ever since the thief on the cross, death bed conversions have been considered at least possible, doubt many are real, good thing I am not the judge

lightman
12-27-2020, 06:39 PM
Great Story. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoyed seeing his shows and movies. I'm glad to hear that he was saved, no matter what point in his life it was at.

fcvan
12-27-2020, 07:13 PM
According to my understanding, Steve sought and received his faith in God before he knew he was ill. A troubled youth, he spent time in a youth facility before joining the Military. He studied acting after his service. He frequented his former youth facility and Chino Correctional Facility to inspire youthful offenders.

Steve was offered "Dirty Harry", but didn't want to do another Cop Detective role. He was originally offered in the early 1970s, a role as a quick witted cowpoke with a wry sense of Humor. He initially balked as he had done plenty of westerns. He later did "Tom Horn" a telling of the actual person during the cattle wars in Wyoming. Near his death, he agreed to play the quick witted cowpoke, but died before he could film the feature. The film was later made with Tom Selleck cast as Mathew Quigley. I think Steve would have done well in that role.

Ural Driver
12-27-2020, 07:35 PM
Never knew that story......and yes, it woulda been interesting to see him as Quigley.

ebb
12-31-2020, 06:10 PM
it is my understanding he accepted the Lord long before he knew he was sick.