PDA

View Full Version : Bonze or Nylon Cleaning brushes for stainless barrels

Just Duke
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
I got ready to order brushes (again) for 500 S&W and 45-70 both are stainless.
Thought maybe I should use nylon brushes to keep from scratching the barrel.
What do you guys use on stainless?
TIA,
Duke

Down South
04-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I use Bronze Brushes myself. My second choice would be Nylon.

jonk
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
While stainless is a tad softer than plain (I'm told) either is far harder than bronze. Some feel bronze wears bores quicker; my counter is to look at the Swiss. Their GP11 uses a STEEL BULLET! (Well steel jacket anyhow)- just softer than the gun's metal.

Most swiss rifles have excellant bores with sharp rifling.

The reason? They weren't used with corrosive ammo and weren't overcleaned by GIs with steel rods.

Anything that can survive steel jacket bullets should survive bronze brushes.

Bronze works better than nylon.

Ergo I say bronze.

Shiloh
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
I use Bronze Brushes myself. My second choice would be Nylon.

I second this advice.

There are those folks who discourage the use of stainless brushes except for the most heavily fouled and leaded barrels. I guess I would be in that group. I use bronze brushes exclusively.

Shiloh :castmine:

Whitespider
04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
I prefer to “stroke” the bore as few a times as possible with the cleaning rod, so I want the brush to work hard on the fouling. Nylon just don’t get the job done as fast as Bronze. My thinking is you’re much more likely to damage the bore with the rod, so keep the “strokes” to a minimum. I’ve also heard :?: that “grit” can become embedded in nylon bristles and result in a scratched bore. I don’t believe I’d use a stainless steel brush on a bet, just don’t seem right to me.