PDA

View Full Version : Forster bullet puller

GOPHER SLAYER
02-24-2016, 06:05 PM
I am having difficulty pulling bullets with this tool. If anyone out there uses it, would you tell me how it works for you? I usually manage to scratch the case.

adrians
02-24-2016, 06:21 PM
I have the same puller and even with the instructions it's very "finicky" to set up ,so I gave up.
I understand your frustration, [smilie=b:
Mine is Collecting dust now

atr
02-24-2016, 06:26 PM
this is a collet style puller.
1. select the correct size collet for you bullet and insert into the main body
2. thread the main body into your reloading press...you have to adjust the main body depending on cartridge length
3. run the cartridge up so the bullet enters the collet
4. screw the collet down until it clamps onto the bullet
5. pull the bullet free by applying pressure to the reloading press handle. Remember you are pulling the bullet out not seating it so the direction of the movement of the loading press handle is opposite what you would use for bullet seating.

step #1 is most important....the bullet puller will not work if you have the wrong collet for your bullet diameter

GOPHER SLAYER
02-24-2016, 07:28 PM
atr, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my request for help. I always use the right collet.The problem I have is this. When I raise the loaded case into the puller and tightened the handle on the puller as tight as I can it simply slips over the bullet. Most of the time the collet grabs part of the case and scratches it. I have never pulled a bullet with this beast.

atr
02-24-2016, 08:14 PM
gopher slayer
it does sound like your collet is not grabbing that bullet, and then when you raise the handle further it grabs the neck of the case...not good
I know with my collet type puller I have to play around with it to get it set right...after that it works fine.

not to discourage you BUT....most often I use a kinetic type bullet puller. I've been using the same one for years with no problem and the nice thing about the kinetic type as opposed to the collet type is that you don't get marred up bullets with the kinetic.

adrians
02-24-2016, 09:16 PM
gopher slayer
it does sound like your collet is not grabbing that bullet, and then when you raise the handle further it grabs the neck of the case...not good
I know with my collet type puller I have to play around with it to get it set right...after that it works fine.

not to discourage you BUT....most often I use a kinetic type bullet puller. I've been using the same one for years with no problem and the nice thing about the kinetic type as opposed to the collet type is that you don't get marred up bullets with the kinetic.

I agree with atr on this one,
The forster is good when set up for Jacketed bullets but tends to gouge and shave the softer lead boolits although it does work when set right.
just tempremental at times...

GOPHER SLAYER
02-24-2016, 10:22 PM
I also use the kinetic puller with lead but sometimes it is difficult to get a factory jacketed bullet to come out of the case using this methard. My reason for asking this is my efforts in finding brass for my two 32-40 rifles. I have many factory 32 Special rounds and it is simple to run the brass from them in a 32-40 sizer since they use the same bullet. I thought I would sell the jacketed bullets since I will not be shooting them anyway. I can't very well sell them if they are scratched or otherwise damaged. I am tempted to just sell this puller. Thanks again guys.

wv109323
02-24-2016, 11:14 PM
The collet should never touch the brass case. Lower your press handle all the way. Adjust the tool where the collet clamps onto the bullet only.Tighten the tool (collet) and Lift your press handle. The bullet should stay in the collet.
These pullers work when the collet can be clamped onto the nominal diameter of the bullet. A .308 bullet must have part of the bullet of .308 diameter above the brass before it can grasp the bullet. Or in other words the collet can not be clamped onto the ogive of a bullet.
Also these pullers may well scratch/indent your bullets when pulled.