PDA

View Full Version : LASC-articles by G. Fryxell

pjh421
04-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Read everything here & find yourself scavenging for new material? While that's not likely, given the volume of threads/posts here, check out some of these articles. Makes for some enjoyable reading.

Paul

Glen
04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks Paul, glad you enjoyed them!

Ricochet
04-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Glen does have some mighty good articles!

GLL
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Glen's three articles on the .38 SWC, .44 SWC, and .45 SWC are what got me started casting and reloading. I became a mould junky !

He has cost me a small fortune ! I now must live on Top-Ramin ! :) :)

Jerry

eljefe
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
I enjoy them, as well. Very well written, and easy to read.

EDK
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I've really enjoyed the various articles by Glen. IIRC John Taffin mentioned a book in progress....I'd like TWO AUTOGRAPHED COPIES...one to use and one for my display shelf next to Keith, Taffin and Venturino.

Have you used any of the RANCH DOG moulds? and your thoughts on LEE LIQUID ALOX? I'm just starting with the 44 RD 265 in various VAQUEROS and a 24 inch COWBOY rifle; will be doing the same with 357s when that mould comes next fall.

The 44 full wadcutter group buy mould sure is interesting to play with also. Have you done anything in this direction?

Thanks again for saving a lot of us from having "to re-invent the wheel!"

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

pjh421
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey! Now its official. I'm a dumb a$$. I'll post the link tonight. I'm on my blackberry now.

Paul

mtgrs737
04-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed them also, enough that I have printed them off just incase they get dropped off the net. This is something I rarely do. Glen Rocks!

leftiye
04-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Ditto, mtgrs. When I was a newby he was a big help to me (I can't even remember what the subject was) I think maybe on .357 Max. This was in person, not just having me read his articles, but it's help one remembers.

onceabull
04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
A real gennuwyne published author( wikipedia doesn't count) right here with us.. what's next,one of those gun-rag guys ??[smilie=s: Onceabull [smilie=1:

Glen
04-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Aw shucks, you guys are makin' me blush!

EDK -- to answer your questions -- Yes, there is a book in the works. Taffin has seen a rough draft of the manuscript and has made some very helpful suggestions. I have added some of the stuff he suggested and am working on the the rest (but there this thing called "work" that keeps getting in the way). I am co-writing that book with Rob Applegate, and Rob is in the middle of moving his shop and household over hill and dale, and hasn't been able to even think about casting bullets, or writing about casting bullets, for quite some time. I expect that we'll get back to the book this summer to wrap things up. Then we need to find a publisher (one has already expressed moderate interest in the manuscript).

No, I have not used any of the Ranch Dog moulds. I'm not a big fan of tumble lube, but I REALLY like Ranch dog's ideas about meplat/nose design, and I'm a big fan of the cartridges he builds bullets for.

I don't use LLA tumble lube. I make my own lube, and it works better than anything else I've tried and it's cheap. Besides, I don't like smearing lube all over the nose of a bullet.

Yeah, I have played around with .44 wadcutters a bit. The Lee wadcutter is a dandy bullet, and loaded over about 4.5 grains of Red Dot makes a fine target load in .44 Special. The old Lyman 429352 is an awesome bullet in .44 Special. I don't remember the powder charge but I was using W231 to get a little over 900 fps and it would flatten prairie dogs and jack rabbits, and I mean right now! There are 2 or 3 other .44 wadcutters that I've played with over the years, but those two are the loads that made an impression.

Reloader06
05-01-2008, 12:05 AM
May I also say that I've learned alot and not felt "talked down to" a bit. Thanks Glen

Matt

EDK
05-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Glen, thank you for your thoughts. Please get a better publisher/printer than the unknowing souls who printed THE BOOK OF THE 44 in paperback and black-and-white. The guy who made that decision ought to be flogged! I consider it to be one of John Taffin's best (top 5!!!) and they cheaped out what will become a classic for handgunners. Don't let them do that to you PLEASE!

IDEA; Guys, we need a group buy for a LEE clone of 429352. The only flaw in the GLL group buy mould is weight...I hate the thought of filing front sights on the VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS. It's about 4 inches low at 25 yards with every powder charge I've tried so far...and accurate with all of them! If we could get the weight up to about 220-to-240 grains, I'd be a happy camper. I'm running 40 rounds or more a day through various fixed sight guns for Cowboy Action Shooting. I might have to go to Ballisti-cast and dig out my wallet for a heavier wad cutter if we can't finagle a group buy.

Thank you again Glen

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

pjh421
05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.lasc.us/

OK, here's the link for all who have not already been there. Glen, you really know how to hold the reader's attention.

Paul