PDA

View Full Version : General question about powder drop tubes

atl5029
02-23-2016, 11:24 PM
So I know people generally use drop tubes to fit larger charges of certain stick powders into cases without compressing the load with the bullet. However, I can not seem to find any kind of information on what kind of powder measures these people are using with drop tubes. I assume they are not weighing each charge and using the powder measure to feed directly into the case. My question is, if I hand weigh each charge (which I do for all my hunting and precision rifle rounds) and pour the charge slowly into the case using a powder funnel so the powder can settle in the case as I pour, will this achieve the same effect as using a drop tube?

Thanks guys!

country gent
02-24-2016, 12:00 AM
It may get you close. A drop tube is simply a tube 4"-36" long with a flared end at the bottom and a funnel on the top with a stand to hold it. Most allow the tube to slide up and down to allow it to set on the various case length solidly. I use a 36" tube to put BP charges into cases. I weigh and pour from pan into the tube slowly allowing it to fill the case. The rate of pour also affects this settling /packing of the powder. You can easily make one with a stand from an old aluminum arrow shaft or hardware tubing Mine is 1/2" od X 3/8"id X 36" long. a rcbs funnel is afixed to top and a wood end with tapered nose is on the bottom. A thin ring of tygon tubing sets hieght. Most measure mounted drop tubes are 4" - 6". One nice thing with the clear tubes is you can see powder bridging in them. Some charges of heavy stick powders in smaller cases may not completely fit in a case with out the drop tube.

Mk42gunner
02-24-2016, 12:41 AM
I have never used a drop tube for smokeless powder, but have for large charges of black powder. I don't think slowly pouring powder through a normal powder funnel will settle the charge nearly as much as pouring it at a similar rate through a longish tube.

Being an old appliance repairman/ plumber, I made my drop tube from a piece of 3/8" soft copper about 30" long. I flared one end to fit tightly into an RCBS powder funnel, and the other end to just fit over the neck of the cartridge. I did not want another funnel at the lower end to slow the powder as it falls into the case.

Robert

Paul_R
02-24-2016, 08:54 AM
I use a black powder version Lyman 55 powder measure with it's 24" of drop tube. Haven't used it for smokeless but I'm sure it would work just fine.

You don't need to weigh each charge when dumping thru a separate drop tube. Just throw the charge into a pan then pour it thru the tube.

Buffalo Arms has a good selection of stuff you can look at and get the idea.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3759

Doc Highwall
02-24-2016, 11:28 AM
I have this drop tube that I use with my RCBS powder measure.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/powder-drop-tubes/sinclair-custom-drop-tubes-prod33706.aspx