PDA

View Full Version : Thumb cocking Remingtons & Colts

Naphtali
02-23-2016, 04:59 AM
I have a question, but I'm not sure how to ask so anyone else will recognize what I'm asking about.

So here goes. I have very small hands. When I grasp my 1858 Remington percussion revolver, thumb cocking is more difficult for me than thumb cocking my Freedom Arms Model 97 or my Uberti Colt SAA clone in 45 Colt. For me the Remington's grip is farther from its hammer spur than both of the others.

Does anyone else with small hands notice this? If what think is happening is, in fact, accurate, any suggestions on how to adjust my Remington to bring its thumb cocking to the ease of the others?

NC_JEFF
02-23-2016, 07:25 AM
The simple solution seems to be that you use the thumb of your weak hand to cook it. I shoot an 1860 Colt and there is definitely a lot of travel when cocking but I have large hands so it isn't a problem.

Virginia John
02-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Second the weak hand cock. You may have to change your grip a bit to get the weak hand in a comfortable position with the thumb over your strong thumb.

44man
02-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Yes, can't be said better. Unless you shoot with one hand only. Make your hand bigger! :bigsmyl2:
Do you know what a possum is? It is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.

johnson1942
02-23-2016, 10:29 AM
never found the remington a comfortable gun to hold, thats why i dont have one. i like the looks but the feel for me isnt right. with your small hands get a navy grip uberti 1871 1872 open top colt clone. points like a finger and holds in small hands like a dream. very very easy to shoot and hold and cock.

Bigslug
02-23-2016, 10:52 AM
The simple solution seems to be that you use the thumb of your weak hand to cook it. I shoot an 1860 Colt and there is definitely a lot of travel when cocking but I have large hands so it isn't a problem.

SIIIIGH. . .All you silly Weaverites using two hands to hold your pistols. Don't y'all know that your "weak hand" is where the scalping knife or the tomahawk goes?:kidding:

I've got pretty large hands and have always found the Remingtons to be very comfy when I've handled them. I think what you're experiencing is the reason why they make different guns. Grips can be changed, certainly, and hammers can be changed, maybe. The issue you may run into is fewer aftermarket options for the Remingtons than for the Peacemaker clones.

str8wal
02-23-2016, 12:10 PM
The simple solution seems to be that you use the thumb of your weak hand to cook it.

Also the best solution for keeping your groups tighter as you don't alter your grip during the process. The only way to go, IMO.

Hickok
02-23-2016, 01:14 PM
never found the remington a comfortable gun to hold, thats why i dont have one. i like the looks but the feel for me isnt right. with your small hands get a navy grip uberti 1871 1872 open top colt clone. points like a finger and holds in small hands like a dream. very very easy to shoot and hold and cock.Same here. I have both, but Sam Colt got it right the first time. Nothing feels as good or points as natural for me as the Colt style grip.

The '58 Remington's are good, strong hanguns, but for me they have an odd feeling grip and ergonomics.