PDA

View Full Version : Another question about antimony in range scrap

triggerhappy243
02-23-2016, 04:01 AM
Assuming range scrap does not have any tin, but has some antimony.... How much antimony is too much antimony to cast conicals for muzzleloaders and be soft enough to obturate?

berksglh
02-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Unless we can actually measure the specific amount in the lead, assumed % of antimony does us no good. hardness of said lead is your best measure.

Use a lead pencil test ($12?) to figure close hardness relative to the pencil test. (Info on here somewhere pertaining to it) or get a hardness tester.

I use pistol range scrap for 44 cap and ball BP revolver. I forget the hardness, can put a fingernail dent in it. It shoots good for my application, but loads pretty hard.

jcren
02-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Depends on the range. If the range requires factory ammo, jacketed bullets are near pure lead. If there is a lot of cast, most factory will have a fair amount of antimony (so called hard cast). If it appears about 50/50 it should fall around a typical half clip on ww/ half pure bullet.

Half Dog
02-23-2016, 11:08 AM
I do not shoot muzzleloaders but I have learned to cast some, check them, then add what is needed to get the recommended hardness.

dtknowles
02-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Assuming range scrap does not have any tin, but has some antimony.... How much antimony is too much antimony to cast conicals for muzzleloaders and be soft enough to obturate?

I have cast Round Balls, conicals and REAL's with range scrap and used them in muzzle loaders, 50 cal long guns and cap and ball pistols. I found no difficulty. My range scrap has a large percentage of 40 and 45 caliber jacket pistol bullets, your mileage may vary. I say give it a try unless your range scrap is particularly hard. Do the ingots ring if you drop them on a concrete floor?

Tim

bangerjim
02-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Pencil test time. Do a search in the little white box at the top of the page for the method and chart.

Cheap and dirty way of knowing hardness if you do not want to invest in a CabineTree tester. A SWAG, but close enough for what you are doing. But far more accurate than thumb nailing or dropping them for sound!

banger

triggerhappy243
02-23-2016, 06:32 PM
the range scrap I have is not near as hard as my wheel weight lead. does not ring near as well as wheel weight lead. It tested with the x-ray gun at 1.46 % antimony. and 1.39 % copper. My main concern was it being soft enough for my muzzleloaders. I can always add more tin and antimony to match all the wheel weight lead I have now.

bangerjim
02-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Cast it and shoot it. You will find out soon enough!

banger

flyingrhino
02-24-2016, 12:05 PM
My range scrap boolits tested at 5.5 BHN air cooled. That's almost pure lead. Water dropping the same put it up to 11 BHN. Using a Cabine Tree tester.

triggerhappy243
03-02-2016, 03:10 AM
I cast up 20 of each 50 and 54. both maxi-balls. soon as I can arrange the time I will shoot what I just cast. will see how it goes. but before I cast these. I did the pine saw dust drill 3 times. then let the pot of lead roost for 30 minutes to see what would float up to the top. The top of the melt looked like a shiny brass bell. purty as can be.