PDA

View Full Version : C & H die sets

bigjake
02-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know about this brand of dies? They come in a red plastic box, or they used to?

PoisonIvyMagnet
02-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Look up CH4D online. The shop's original owner passed away, and 4D bought it. They still sell dies, and any parts you may need. They also rent out gunsmithing tools, like chamber and throat reamers. I have a CH die set in 45-70 that works just fine.

TNsailorman
02-23-2016, 12:44 PM
I have owned and used C&H dies since the mid 60's and I have always considered them top of the line with RCBS, Redding.

Mk42gunner
02-23-2016, 03:52 PM
I have a few sets of older CH or CH4D dies. Good tools.

I do not know about the current ones, but I haven't read of any drop off in quality. I would buy with confidence.

They also offer dies for most wildcats at a very reasonable price.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-23-2016, 04:23 PM
I got a old set of CH dies in 222rem, from another member here, in original paperboard red and white box, which had a damaged expander/decap nut...I have no idea how old they were...probably 50+ years old ?
But a email to CH4d and a small charge and they sent out a new expander/decap nut and a few decap pins.
Excellent dies, excellent company.
Jon

Paul_R
02-23-2016, 04:39 PM
I have a new set in 38-55 for my rolling block BPCR rifle and they're as good as any. They're also a full custom shop and can supply things like expander and seating plugs in any size and shape you want. They can make 'em to thread into other makers dies too. And you don't have to wait months.

gwpercle
02-23-2016, 07:24 PM
CH and CH4D don't get much better. The boxes are black plastic now. I've been using them for years,(decades actually), their stuff is used by reloaders " in the know", newbees are clueless about them. They actually make the dies and will furnish anything you want. Got a military rifle with an oversized chamber (think 303 Enfield No 4 mkI) send three fired cases and Dave will make a resizing die to perfectly match that chamber...then cases can be reloaded more than a few times. They make a lot more than dies, all kinds of stuff.
Great people, they have helped me get two vintage presses back in service with parts they make.

Kevin Rohrer
02-23-2016, 08:48 PM
CH4D dies are as good and possibly better than any other dies currently available--and at less money.

gwpercle
02-24-2016, 02:58 PM
CH4D dies are as good and possibly better than any other dies currently available--and at less money.

And made in America, by Americans without some foreign country actually owning the business.
A real Person will (usually) answer the phone and help you !

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Good stuff and a great outfit to buy from. I just bought a common part from them for a project I'm working on.

Randy

MakeMineLead
02-25-2016, 09:27 AM
CH and CH4D don't get much better. The boxes are black plastic now. I've been using them for years,(decades actually), their stuff is used by reloaders " in the know", newbees are clueless about them. They actually make the dies and will furnish anything you want. They make a lot more than dies, all kinds of stuff..

I have one of their primer pocket swedge kits. It works perfect, and is not an over-complicated designed like a certain, famous-name model.

As gwpercle says, for, "reloaders in the know." The kit did not come with an instruction sheet. I can see a newbie making errors until they learn the equipment.

aap2
02-25-2016, 09:33 AM
I just bought a set of 8x56R Kropatschek dies from CH4D and they are fine quality, made in the USA and came in a black plastic box. CH4D has a huge list of calibers and they are very helpful on the phone and obviously boolit-friendly. When I asked for my dies to be sent with an expander plug that was .002 larger than standard it was absolutely no problem. If you have a problem with their dies they will fix it. IMHO can't get better service than that.