PDA

View Full Version : Doing my part for the economy..... SP101 .357

44Vaquero
02-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Spent a portion of my tax return on this little beauty! Used slight holster wear on the front sight and 2 tiny nicks on the left side. After comparing it to a NIB model it is evident this one has also had a trigger job !

straightwall
02-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Nice shooter!

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2016, 07:12 PM
If you do not mind the grip getting about a half inch longer then I feel there is nothing better feeling then the hogue grip. It just fits like a glove and everyone that has handled mine falls in love with it. I carry mine IWB and like the fact the grip is a larger. I was having issues drawing the gun. You will love it. One of my top five handguns I love. Congrats.

RogerDat
02-22-2016, 07:22 PM
They are one nice snubbie and fun to shoot. Pretty good accuracy also. I like the stock grips but have heard more than one person praise the Hogue grips on this frame. Never really clear if they mean the mono rubber or the fancy wood grips.

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2016, 07:25 PM
I mean mono Rubber.

Markbo
02-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Before you change the grip, test it. My SP101 is the single most natural pointing handgun I have ever held. I can point from hip, shoulder, belly height - wherever - & pick a target and it is pointed right at it. Shooting groups at 7 yards without sights always gets some looks at the range.

Now I am not claiming 1" groups or Jerry Miculek style shooting, but in the house practicing if I point it at something as small as a doorknob from any poisition it is pointed right on it. I dont know why for certain, but I believe it must be the grip. Try it!

Outer Rondacker
02-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Before you change the grip, test it. My SP101 is the single most natural pointing handgun I have ever held. I can point from hip, shoulder, belly height - wherever - & pick a target and it is pointed right at it. Shooting groups at 7 yards without sights always gets some looks at the range.

Now I am not claiming 1" groups or Jerry Miculek style shooting, but in the house practicing if I point it at something as small as a doorknob from any poisition it is pointed right on it. I dont know why for certain, but I believe it must be the grip. Try it!
I agree. Then I was handed one with the mono grip. I could not order my mono grip fast enough. This came about by telling a guy I knew who had the same gun I was having issues drawing from my IWB holster. The hogue also fills the palm of my hand better. If your at a shop that sells the grips ask them to open the pack and put it in your hand. You got a good gun either way.

Mica_Hiebert
02-22-2016, 10:02 PM
I love my hogue grips on the sp101 for shooting, the factory conceals better, push pull with every thing.

NC_JEFF
02-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Spent the day at the gun show yesterday looking at conceal carry revolvers and the SP101 was easily the best fit in my hand. It will def be my next revolver purchase.

Bullwolf
02-22-2016, 10:11 PM
I like the Hogue rubber grip on the SP101 a lot. It allows me to wrap more of my hand around the grip, and points nicely for me. It's a good feeling grip, but it does stick to clothing somewhat.

I think of it as my field use grip.

Here's my DAO SP101, next to a Smith air weight revolver.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904f332e5a776fa.jpg http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904f309093ba7c8.jpg

Just by itself wearing the Hogue rubber finger groove grip.

http://www.danwessonforum.com/wp-content/gallery/bullwolf/SP101-Left.jpg

And last, wearing some slick Badger wooden grips.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/18790502079a0e4d49.jpg

- Bullwolf

Para82
02-22-2016, 10:51 PM
I have a Ruger SP 101 in 357mag, it's the 3" barrel model. Factory grip and one of my favorite handguns.

LUCKYDAWG13
02-23-2016, 08:07 AM
I like the one i have shoots well but the Cylinder will lock up on mine if put over 150 rounds through it without a good cleaning

Petrol & Powder
02-23-2016, 08:25 AM
The SP101 is a solid snubnose. Built like a tank. Enjoy your new gun.

Outer Rondacker
02-23-2016, 09:47 AM
Mine has a very short OAL. Mine is also very old. I sent mine back to Ruger and they put the safety transfer bar in for me free of charge. Having this done has kept me from bobbing the hammer. Its still my go to handgun for all sorts of reasons.

Half Dog
02-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Now I feel the need to stimulate the economy too.

Tackleberry41
02-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Friend of mine was eyeballing my SP101 this weekend. Asking how much. Yea then I get to go out and buy another one since its the only 38/357 I have. He works in a gun shop, pretty sure he can order one.

He did like the trigger work I did to mine. Ordered some springs from Midway, rest was just 25cent trigger work. Finish the work Ruger didn't. It was fine w the factory grips, but I like the hogue better.

FergusonTO35
02-23-2016, 06:37 PM
If you like shooting stout .357's in a small gun the SP is the best of the best. For a five shot .38 Special it is way overbuilt. If Ruger would stretch the SP a bit to allow 6 rounds of .38 Special I would be the first one to buy it. The absence of a six shot .38 that doesn't weigh a ton has been a yawning chasm in the Ruger lineup since the Speed Six was discontinued. No, a 3" barrel GP-100 doesn't cut it!

44Vaquero
02-24-2016, 04:11 AM
It's clear everyone likes the Hogue grips, I do to but for now the factory rubber will be staying in place. As they fit nicely in pocket of my baggy blue jeans as is.

Bullwolf, I do like those blk/gray badgers you pictured! Very nice.

I will be heading to the range today or tomorrow and try her out as is and go from there

Nazgul
02-24-2016, 05:53 AM
I love mine, goes everywhere.

As previously noted "built like a tank". Shoot the heck out of it.

Your great grandchildren will be using...they last.

Don

Artful
02-24-2016, 10:29 AM
My wife confiscated mine - I had hogue but she had me put factory back on due to her smaller hand. Though last time out to the range we used one of mine
with laser (CTC Crimson Trace) and she's now interested in that grip for her
SP101 DAO. - Anyone tried it on theirs?

TCFAN
02-24-2016, 12:12 PM
I have a early 3 inch SP101 in 38 special that I carry every day.I had the Hogue grips on it for several years before I got the Crimson Trace laser grips.The laser grips are not as nice as the Hogue but that laser sure make hitting what you want a lot easier. ..............Terry