PDA

View Full Version : I need help, want to cast my own buckshot

JohnClark7886
04-29-2008, 05:24 PM
OK here's the deal. I have a mold that makes 20 00 buckshot at a time. I have a friend who owns a couple of tire stores and I have unlimited used wheel weights. I have a propane burner, couple of pots, ladle etc and want to make my own buckshot. Can you pro's out there give me some tips, directions etc. The last time I saw anything like this done was 40 years ago when my dad and grandpa used a pot on the stove to make lead decoy weights. Do I need to do anything besides melting the lead in the pot, pouring it into the mold and voila...lead buckshot by the 20 batch? Help !!!! Also if you have any favorite recipes for reloading, I have a 12 ga that shoots 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells and would like to reload mainly 3" but also some 3 1/2" preferably with buffering because I read that it really helps the pattern. Does it help that much at say 40 or 50 yards or is that just an old wives tale....thanks guys !!!

DLCTEX
04-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Last question first. Yes buffering helps that much. Consult load data from a reliable source before loading buffers, large pressure spikes can result. Preheating the mold by dipping a corner in the melt or using a hotplate will save wasted time and effort, as the mold needs to be up to temp to cast well. Wheel weights make good hardened shot. If you are not experienced at reloading shotshells, I suggest a good manual, such as Lyman's Shotshell Handbook. A pair of nippers will help with cutting the sprues from the shot. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. The only dumb question is the one not asked. DALE BTW: welcome to the board!

JohnClark7886
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Question, I have read on here something about "fluxing". I am going to be using wheel weights from a friends tire store to cast my own buckshot. OK now I am really new to this so be patient. I have my burner, pot, ladle and buckshot molds. Do I have to 'flux' the melted lead from wheel weights and if so what is the best way to do it. :killingpc:veryconfu

DLCTEX
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Flux can be most anything carbon based. Various members use used motor oil, sawdust or wood shavings, stir with a dry hardwood stick, candle wax, a pellet of bullet lube, commercial fluxes, etc. Be prepared for some items to catch fire from the heat of the melt, which does no harm and helps to reduce smoke and fumes. Stir the carbon into the melt and then let the dross rise to the top where it is skimmed off, leaving shiny metal behind. As you cast a dull film of oxide will form on top, which can be left if bottom pouring, or shoved aside with the dipper if dipping. Some bottom casters flux with kitty litter and leave it floating to prevent oxzidation, or sprinkle borax on top to form a barrier from the air. Personally I just stir with a hardwood stick, skim, and bottom pour. I would suggest that you smelt in a separate pot, pour into ingots, and then melt clean metal for casting . I flux the melted ingots to clean the metal as much as possible. DALE