PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 266386

richhodg66
02-21-2016, 11:49 PM
A long, long time ago, when I was just beginning to dabble in casting, I perused a gun shop in northeast El Paso and they had a lot of used reloading stuff including scrap lead various casters had left for sale. Anyway, one such bucket had a bunch of these in it, good castings and unfired. I didn't have a 6.5 rifle and in fact, wouldn't have one for years and years afterwards, but they intrigued me for some reason and I dug about 100 or so out of the bucket and payed scrap lead cost for them.

Fast forward 20 something years and several moves. I got a sporterized Swedish Mauser I've been casually messing with for a while. I got at RCBS 140 grain flat point mold and my initial try of cast in this rifle was abysmal (had a hard time keeping them all on a pallet I use as a target stand at 100 yards). I have since read and learned you can't get past 1500 FPS with accuracy in this caliber, so there we are.

Anyway, for some strange reason, I still had this container of 266386, no idea what alloy. It's a nominally 105 grain pointy, plain based design with big lube grooves. I dipped them in LLA, didn't size them and loaded 20 with nine grains of Unique. These shot pretty well at 100 yards and gave me some hope for the rifle.

Anybody ever shoot these? I'm sure the mold is out of production, no idea of who cast these and when they're gone, they're gone. It just seems like a very unorthodox cast bullet design and I'm curious about it.