PDA

View Full Version : Stick ons

ranger1962
02-21-2016, 11:10 PM
I melted my wheel weight stash today and when I melted the stick ons I found quite a few as in most of them appeared to be zink when did this happen? I always thought stick ons were almost pure lead.

high standard 40
02-21-2016, 11:20 PM
For several years I have been finding stick-on wheel weights of all of the following compositions.

Soft lead, hard lead, zinc, steel, and polymer composite

BNE
02-21-2016, 11:29 PM
For several years I have been finding stick-on wheel weights of all of the following compositions.

I have found the same thing. They are easy to sort, but it is dissapointing. The "Hard Lead" ones are very similar to the COWW composition.

runfiverun
02-22-2016, 12:27 AM
yep.
welcome to the who cares whatever you get is good enough and production numbers and sales are the bottom line, the government will take care of you and do the deciding of what's best until the day you die and they are cheaper from india and china so we bought/imported them from there and still saved money while jacking up the price for a higher profit margin....world.

Scooby
02-22-2016, 08:27 AM

+1 on this system also.

I have a buddy who works at a Chevy dealer, he said the composite ones that are like 1/4" thick and 1 1/4" wide sometimes say contains lead on the box and sometimes do not. So I guess it is just what comes in on the order. Either way they go in the scrap bin for me. It really stinks that right now scrap in our area is 2.5 cents a pound. I was so disgusted with a bucket the other day, I usually get 4 coffee cans of good ww out of a almost full 5 gal bucket. However I only got 1.5 cans of good ww the rest was steel and zinc. Starting to rethink paying .35 cents a pound for them. I have read about guys on here who buy from scrap yards and can exchange the zinc and steel that would be nice. I pay .35 cents a pound and take the junk to scrap yard for 2.5 cents a pound. I really want to keep stashing to get to that lifetime supply status however ww are getting more expensive and harder to come by the good usable ones that is.

lightman
02-22-2016, 02:24 PM
They have been making steel and zinc stick-ons for a while. They usually are easy to spot.

runfiverun
02-22-2016, 09:23 PM
melt those zinc ones down and save the ingots.
you can sell them either on here or for about 1/2 spot price at the scrap yard.
Zinc ain't cheap.

Scooby
02-22-2016, 09:47 PM
I have a buddy that gives me 35 cents a pound for my zinc. He is going to make cannon balls with it once he gets enough. Either way zinc is defiantly worth more than shredder scrap.